Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where ever you are looking it is, in simple terms, bovine excrement.
    Google Vauban's guide (IN true MSE "wisdom" you are not allowed to link things in signature)
    Either go NWNF firm (such as Botts, if they will take on caes) or DIY. You will find Dr Watson's notes on the ESCP process invaluable. Be prepeared for a fight unless the airline have a valid EC (rare)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • CharlieHuffa
    Options
    Thank you very much for the info. And you have absolutely made my day...I live miles from civilisation so excuse my secluded ignorance, but I have never once heard the term 'Bovine excrement', as obvious as it is...I was on the floor in a puddle of my own tears...Thank you
  • Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CharlieHuffa,
    Our JP does tell it how it is, being from God's Country we do. You've found the right place for advice on this subject, if you need any further help once you have digested the impeccable guide from Vauban, do post back on here.

Apologies all for me being quiet on here for a while, other battles needed to be won.....
    Back for a fight though ( if needed), saying that, you appear to have all been doing just fine!
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • CharlieHuffa
    Options
    Hi Dr and JP and anyone else,

I have read and hopefully digested Vauban's Guide and the good Dr's notes on ESCP.
    I have have a few questions, if I may trouble you..I apologise if this goes on a bit and if already covered.

When I need to provide evidence of the flight, such as a boarding card, will the itinerary email from Ryan air suffice, as I didn't collect my boarding card from the airport, but printed it off myself, so doesn't necessarily prove that I turned up anyway?

Regarding compensation amount and also details to include to help the claim, showing Ryan air's 'shortcomings' perhaps. Of course, in (most) part, I am considering taking action for financial retribution, as this is the basic purpose. However, I am not trying to extract every last penny I can, money is not everything (getting 10 million for 'emotional damages' if you decide to swallow a screw because the box didn't say you shouldn't, is clearly absurd). In part, my anti-overweight feline nature is kicking in and doesn't want them to get away with their cream slurping nature and ask for significantly less than I should, anyway...The first link on the Dr's notes regarding amounts goes to a page that says 'doc doesn't exist'. Many other things seem to say 1500km 3hrs plus = £xxx. Is that an definite amount or does it increase if its four hours rather than three, for example? I have noted some online info suggesting it is situation based. So I'm not entirely sure how to calculate what I should ask for. Does it make a difference, for amount and/or to strength of case, to include minor details such as, upon arrival, the car hire company had waited two hours beyond closing for us to arrive, so had closed before we did, meaning we couldn't collect the car. The taxis had gone on strike and buses had finished by the time we arrived, so we 'slept' on the airport floor for a few hours until the car hire company opened again, additionally not staying at the hotel we had paid for...blah blah etc (these things didn't particularly annoy me, I've gotten used to messy travel plans and sleeping in play park climbing frames or bus shelters etc, but are things like that relevant in any way?) And to include details such as no food provided, no offer of transport, accomodation etc...Duty of care stuff?

Lastly, would it be acceptable if I were to give a brief as possible summary, either here on the forum for others to see, if it helps with information, or via PM and ask for your opinions to see if its worth pursuing? It would take me hours to read all the case info let alone digest it and make a decision. Someone here, in a few minutes might be able to give me a simple yes or no (perhaps if I've not been deterred by now, its a simple case of giving it a go). I can appreciate you probably get lots of novels on these matters, so I don't want to trouble you too much or bombard you or the forum with more late night rambling than I already have. I'll adhere to a max word count if it helps :)

Thank you for any advice and time you can provide. And for all you already have, its clear you've spent much time and effort into helping people with this. Very much appreciated.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EU261 is a fixed amount based on distance and delay. A <1500km flight gets €250 if delayed 3 hours and 5 mins and the same €250 if delayed 20 hours
    You will also be able to claim reimbursement of refreshments purchased during the delay (assuming vouchers were not provided) but not when you arrived at your destination airport (where the contract with the airline ends)
    The car hire closed, strikes, buses etc are not relevant to the claim. What matters is that your flight was delayed over 3 hours on arrival and the delay was within the control of the airline (not weather, ATC etc)
    You could speak to your travel insurance re consequential losses
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, I have logged in to flight stats for the historical data but would like to see on the day of my flight how many flights were delayed cancelled as I believe there was a bit of snow that day. Is there a way of doing this?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leeds to Lanzarote - 2 hr delay to departure so far, broken computer, transferred aircraft. Clock ticking for €400 compo......
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Leeds to Lanzarote - 2 hr delay to departure so far, broken computer, transferred aircraft. Clock ticking for €400 compo......

Make sure you don't start your own thread ...:rotfl:

And do you have to accept vouchers?
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remember it is the time the Aircraft doors OPEN not when you come to a stop.
  • Qwertykev007
    Options
    Just got off a 4hr 53min delayed flight from bergamo to stanstead :j I'm sure this thread is going to get a fair bit of traffic shortly!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback