Options

Comments

• library_girl
    Options
    Sorry, I was wondering if I'd posted first one in wrong place! :doh:
  • bambinaUK
    bambinaUK Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Reporting back on my success using Resolver.
    Due to an internal flight delay I missed a connecting flight to New York last April. Took a while, but I was eventually offered £867 compensation. Stuck to my guns and also demanded the £70 booking fees I had paid for specific seats.

Still pestering them for the loss of one nights accomodation in New York though.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bumped house keeping
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Smudge321
    Smudge321 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2016 at 12:16AM
    Options
    Hi

My BA flight from New York JFK to LHR was delayed overnight due to a combination of the weather and the reverse thrusters. Apparently if the weather wasn't adverse the plane would have taken off but due to the faulty reverse thrusters, take off wasn't possible. BA initially delayed the flight while their engineers tried to fix the fault and/or the weather cleared. When neither of these materialised, the decision was made to delay the flight until the next day when the weather would be better then the plane could depart regardless if the engineers fixed the fault. (This information was given to us by the Captain).

BA delayed the flight by 16 hours which also resulted in me missing my London shuttle and spending another night in London, arriving home 24 hours later than planned.

I am particularly annoyed with BAs class system. There were flights leaving the night my plane was delayed and had I been given a seat on another flight, I would have arrived home only a couple of hours late and not 24hrs. BUT the lady at transfers/check in would not fill the empty first class seats with us poor economy passengers and therefore at least 4 suitable flights departed with empty seats leaving a lot of tired and upset passengers facing a long delay. This lady was adamant economy passengers were not flying anything but economy.

With the exception of snooty check in lady, BA did look after me well however my request for compensation had been rejected .....

Even my car parking fee was rejected.

Should I pursue this. Other flights from JFK to LHR were taking off so IMO it wasn't the weather. The issue with my plane was the faulty reverse thrusters - the weather was only an issue due to this fault.

Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February 2016 at 1:05PM
    Options
    have you tried the flight number and date in any of the NWNF sites? you can try EUClaim or Bottonline (they should hopefully give the same result...either the data held will confirm that you have a claim or advise that there is unlikely to be compensation due) Were the other flights departing of the same aircraft type? (different aircraft have different limitations...better for your case if there were as that would help point more to the technical issue...the fact other aircraft could take off/land does not mean compensation 100% due) Does Flightstats show this as being the only cancelled flight around the time?
    Re classes...whilst I can understand economy tickets not being given first class seats they could have (in my opinion) CW passengers to F, WT+ to CW and then WT to WT+ to gain the capacity in the economy cabin (that is the approach when economy is oversold)...why that did not happen on the day I do not know...do you know for sure planes left with empty seats?
    BA are correct that airlines are not normally responsible for consequential losses. If you have a valid claim, the €600 would go towards any or you could claim from your travel insurance
  • Smudge321
    Smudge321 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2016 at 6:35PM
    Options
  • Ba031
    Ba031 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    If you aren't getting a response and cant be bothered with fiddling with the web form and template replies to reply to BA you can email Head of Customer Relations Jon Rowell - just add a . between his name (lower case) and add @ba.com.

In fairness he replied in minutes (from his iPad) confirming he will chase up my issue hence why I didn't just type his email address as if he gets too much spam he wont be able to answer queries so efficiently.
  • Alun
    Alun Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    My flight in November 2012 arrived over 4 hours late due to a bird strike on one of the engines at Heathrow - my initial claim was rejected so I left it - recently I read about the Jet2 vs. Huzar case and decided to send BA a reply using the same case number.

After a week I got a reply...

Thanks for your email requesting a review of your EU compensation claim following the Jet2 vs. Huzar ruling. Please accept my apologies for our delayed response.

I'm pleased to confirm you're entitled to compensation for the delay to your flight, BA0285, from London Heathrow to San Francisco on 5 November 2012. The distance of your disrupted journey was over 3500 km. This has been calculated in accordance with EU legislation and you’re entitled to €600.00 in compensation, which is equivalent to £463.62.

As two of us were delayed, I would like to think that the total amount will be doubled - but I need to confirm that BA aren't just pulling a fast one - am I correct to query the amount - and is there anything else I should mention before accepting the offer?

Regards

Alun
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No - just ask them to double and send double quick.
  • ChunkyDumpling
    Options
    I won my claim against British Airways for the 22 hour delay Bangkok to London.€600
    Now Im chasing them again for not offering me a rerouting, which they were legally obligated to offer.

I ended up using Bott&Co to win (standard EU compensation) for the same flight, even after I'd been through the main arguments with BA and told them that I'd seen other passengers already win! (you here and another accepting flight credits on a flight forum).

In the end, I just got tired of it and, rather than having to research it further and run the risk of having to go to court myself, I took the hit on commission.

BA still had to pay out the same, of course. And, personally speaking, if BA had offered me less than they finally paid at the outset, I'd have accepted it. But they didn't even offer to pay for my extra hotel night or day of car rental among the many repetitive standard replies.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback