Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• StuFromNTU
    Options
    Hi Stu,

You certainly cannot claim under EC261/2004 because they have cancelled your flight with plenty of notice. I’m afraid all your entitled to is a refund of the flight, I assume this is a flight only booking so I’d be surprised if you get any other associated costs back. You could try your travel insurance if you have a good policy in place.

Cheers,

NoviceAngel

Appreciate the swift response. Thank you
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    No problem. I know thats not the answer you were hoping for. I know it sounds unbelievable but as long as the airline gives you just 14 days notice they get away with the cancellation without penalty.

Sorry I couldnt give you better news
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Too late now but under 261/2004, you are entitled to re-routing at your convenience, even with another airline. This is not subject to the 14 day notice for compensation.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • NoviceAngel
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Too late now but under 261/2004, you are entitled to re-routing at your convenience, even with another airline. This is not subject to the 14 day notice for compensation.

Interesting, Are you saying that the OP would have been eligible for free re-routing even though the airline gave ample notice of cancellation?

If so, whats the amount of notice the airline needs to give to avoid paying for rerouting?
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • JPears
    Options
    Its all in article 8 of 261/2004.
    No amount of notice.
    The compensation under article 7 is the only item that is applicable with less than 14 days notice.

Article 8
    Right to reimbursement or re-routing
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
    (a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,
    - a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;
    (b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or
    (c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.

• NoviceAngel
    Options
    Hehe thanks for that, I just wonder what Ryanair would say to that lol

• JPears
    Options
    I became aware of the subtleties of the regulation as a result of the Ryanair crew shortage fiasco last year.
    So Ryanair are well aware of it, especially after the CAA EVENTUALLY got round to advising them of their obligations.

• Humper1234
    Options
    Hi just recently flight got cancelled from Bristol to take us home from Lanzarote
    Went to the airport last day of holiday even though we knew the plane hadn't taken off from Bristol only to be stuck there with no information and given a 7 euro card to buy food and drink. Finally after 3 and half hours were told to go back to gate to collect luggage and would be taken to another hotel. Fair enough they had got us a room and we were told all food and drinks would be supplied. Also told to go to foyer at 8 pm to be given more info When we got to the hotel we were told drinks only with our meals. 8pm came no rep 15 minutes later the receptionist called someone and advised us coach would be there at 7am. We got up at 6am went to reception and were met with further note to say coach now at 10am. I had to take an additional days holiday or not get paid so that was what I did. I have complained to Thomas cook and all they have said is it was extreme weather and nothing they could do but the annoying thing is that they flew our plane to lanzarote which landed there at 7.30 local time. Can I claim compensation for my extra day that I took off as holiday as if so I'll take it unpaid in work
  • NoviceAngel
    Options
    Well you cant claim compensation for loss of earnings but you can claim compensation under EC261/2004 for a flight delay IF weather did not directly effect YOUR flight.

Start by reading Vaubans guide and putting your flight details through EUClaim and Botts flight delay calculator. Thats a quick way of telling if you might have a valid claim, if you think you do issue the NBA then decide on the DIY route or NWNF.

Good luck

NoviceAngel

• adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    Using Resolver, I claimed for compensation for a flight that was delayed back in 2012 and within 2 days I got the following responses:

"Thanks for getting in touch with us about your flight.

I'm sorry you were delayed. I know how frustrating it can be. We work hard to make sure delays and the disruption they cause are kept to a minimum.

We've investigated why you were delayed and I'm pleased to let you know that under EU Regulation 261/2004 you should be paid compensation for your claim.

It works out to 400!!!8364; per person which is the amount payable under the Regulation and as the compensation has been issued as a voucher, we have increased the compensation by an extra £200.00 which is only available when a voucher is accepted as compensation.

Once again, thank you for contacting us. I hope we're able to welcome you back on board again in the future."

"Following our conversations we've now completed our investigations.
    We're really sorry about the issues you had during your stay with us and want to confirm that we've offered you and your party the e-Voucher below as full and final settlement for the feedback you gave us.
    Thanks for giving us the chance to put things right. We hope we're able to look after you on holiday with us again soon.

Kind regards,"

I am sceptical about how genuine this is given how quickly they responded, particularly as I submitted the claim on a Saturday. I would also have expected them to initially refuse the claim or brush it off with a token gesture, so to get a £900 voucher is quite surprising. Also, should they not pay cash compensation as opposed to vouchers?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure