Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got it landing at 13.34 on PlaneFinder.

When it's close, the airlines are always prepare to argue about it.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • tripletmom
    Options
    Hi All,

Well I went back to Thomas Cook and queried their time of arrival as stated that by their reckoning it took 120seconds to slow down, clear the runway, taxi to arrival gate, stop, hook up the disembarking bridge and open the plane doors.

Thanks for getting in touch with us again about your flight delay and for giving us some more details.

I'm sorry your flight was delayed. We carried out a full investigation when you first wrote to us. Following a review of our aviation report on your delay, we're confident in our decision not to pay compensation.

We wanted to let you know that as we're a UK based airline, you have access to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme. This has been approved by the Civil aviation Authority (the CAA) and is provided by the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR). If you like, you can refer your complaint to (CEDR) for an independent determination to be made.

CEDR is an independent dispute resolution provider certified by the CAA to adjudicate disputes between airline and their passengers that have not been resolved through the airline's own complaints procedure.

You can find out how to refer your complaint to CEDR by vising their website: cedr.com/aviation. All decisions made by CEDR are independent and binding on the airline, this means that the airline must obey the decision that's made by the adjudicator.

I'm so sorry we weren't able to resolve this for you. I hope we'll be able to welcome you back on a flight with us in the future.

They have very quickly sent me a response as below: - It seems that they are quite adamant that they are not due compensation. Or is this just a bluff to deter me contacting CEDR? Do you think it is worth pursuing? From memory I think it costs money to esculate

Thanks Again for advice
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2018 at 10:59PM
    Options
    They are still hoping that you 'take their word' and don't bother pursuing any further.

Refer to CEDR, you only pay £25 if you don't win.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tel0070_1
    Options
    Paulcox741 wrote: »
    Hi,

Been struggling with Thomas Cook since August and wondered if anyone could offer any advice before I take it to CEDR?

Flight details are: Orlando to Stansted 5/8/17 - MT2929

Basically the history is as follows.

Checked at breakfast (11am). Flight delayed by 3hrs 25 mins due to incoming flight technical issue. Revised to 3 hrs 10.

Got to airport. Due to take off at 20:15 (originally 17:05). Gate moved. Different plane to be used. Waited until gone 21:00. Further delay caused by aircraft in Orlando not being able to be used and thus having to wait for another incoming flight to be cleared (confirmed by the captain at the time).

There was a storm earlier but around the same time other planes were still taking off and landing so no weather issues.

Eventually landed at 11:20. Doors opened at 11:30. Originally scheduled to land at 8:20 so 3 hours 10 minutes late.

All I've got from TC is that it was due to airport congestion despite them originally tweeting it was due to a technical fault.

Since September I've chased them 3 or 4 times to supply more detail on why they think they don't have to pay compensation and why their current information contradicts their tweet on the day but all I'm getting is 'refer it to CEDR, etc).

We also had other issues such as the food vouchers not being printed quick enough for us to use, no drinks provided and when we eventually dud get on the plane our party had no blankets. All fairly minor in comparison to the delay but all add up to make if a rubbish experience.

Overall something doesn't add up with their explanation but I can't seem to get them to provide any more details.

Paul

Hi,

just wondering if you got anywhere with CEDR - I've been battling with them now since last year, and CEDR have just come back in Thomas Cook's favour - no surprises there! I will keep going, but would be interested to learn if anyone has had any luck with this flight please?

cheers...
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    Tel0070_1 wrote: »
    Hi,

just wondering if you got anywhere with CEDR - I've been battling with them now since last year, and CEDR have just come back in Thomas Cook's favour - no surprises there! I will keep going, but would be interested to learn if anyone has had any luck with this flight please?

cheers...

Why no surprises? CEDR seem to have been fair in most cases - so when was your flight, how much delayed, and why?
  • Paulcox741
    Options
    Hi tel,

Re: MT2929 from Orlando.

CEDR have just appointed an adjudicator so haven't heard yet.

You would be the third person on that flight I know of now who have had their claim rejected by CEDR. However, I know of at least one person who has been successful via CEDR so guess it depends on the adjudicator you get and how detailed they look at the facts and then interpret them.

The fact that one adjudicator has ruled against Thomas Cook would suggest we do have a case. Not sure there is anywhere you can go after CEDR using this other successful case as a precedent?!?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Small claims court is your only route. No appeals process with CEDR.
    If you can get details of the successful CEDR case then that may help but the CEDR decision is not binding on anyone except the airline (to a point)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Paulcox741
    Options
    Thanks JPears.

I've got a copy of the successful CEDR ruling, so will go down that route if the decision goes against me.

I also included it in my submission but not sure if they'll take that into consideration.
  • SarahH0104
    Options
    Hello,
    Not sure if anyone can help. I’m in the process of trying to claim compensation for our flight which was delayed for 25hrs in total last year.
    Originally writing to TC customer service and getting no where, we are now going through the CEDR. We were told Thomas cook had 21 working days to respond taking us to tomorrow being the 21st day.
    Does anyone know if the CEDR will contact me with a decision or will I have to get back in touch with them to find out? Tia
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They will contact you. Deadlines are regularly missed with ADR's in my experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure