We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Monarch delays & Compensations. Listed flights denied in O.P.

Options

Comments

• 111KAB
    Options
    Just to say I have today received a letter from the local Court to say the Judge (won't mention any names!) has reviewed my statement in view of the pending allocation to the small claims track (hearing) and he is of the opinion that this matter (ie my claim against Monarch) should be resolved prior to the hearing in April. Without going into too much detail and without him taking sides (I presume at this stage) he is saying to Monarch "sort this out" and don't waste my time!
    I have emailed him to say I have tried but they refuse to acknowledge my legitimate claim > I will let you know how he responds.
  • Mark2spark
    Options
    Have you posted (on here) your submission to the court 111Kab?
    The statement the DJ has reviewed I mean.
  • 111KAB
    Options
    Mark2spark wrote: »
    Have you posted (on here) your submission to the court 111Kab?
    The statement the DJ has reviewed I mean.

My statement runs to some 50 pages or so as I went to great length on my particular delay to prove the inaccuracy in the Monarch defence. Whilst my main point was the that extraordinary circumstances did not mean technical problems I went on to show the technical problems the plane experienced were in fact very ordinary plus Monarch had the times wrong, the details wrong plus they made no mention of factors which had also lead to the delay. I partly did all of this so I could understand myself how the airline industry operates and it has been a bit of an 'eye opener'. Very much a closed shop when it comes to finding out what the actual technical problem was ~ there is no transparency but there again maybe better we don't know what goes on behind the scenes as it may put a lot of us off flying! The only thing I would say (Dreamliner apart!) is that IMO better to fly on a newer plane which is part of a larger fleet. I flew back PMI>BHX with Ryanair last Thursday. RA's plane had a technical problem - we never found out what it was but it looked (to me) to be a problem with the toilet provision. The crew quickly switched to one of the 4 stand by planes that RA park at PMI as it is now one of their 50 or so 'hubs'. A one hour delay (ie no real problem) .... at best Monarch would probably have had to fly out another plane from the UK or use say Titan leading to a 3 hour + delay ..... by this time the Friday snow would have settled at BHX and I would have probably been diverted!
    Stick to the bigger firms with the larger fleets IMO.
  • richardw
    Options
    Is a 'preliminary hearing' suggested by the Judge?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • What sanction can the court impose on Monarch if they insist on forcing legitimate claimants to court just as a tactic to discourage?
  • 111KAB
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Is a 'preliminary hearing' suggested by the Judge?

Not yet - think he is waiting for Monarch response first.
  • Hi
    Like many I am at the stage where the next course of action is to take the issue to Court.
    Are there any other people on this link who were on Flight ZB685 SHH to MAN on 29 th September 2012?
    No official reason offered as to the "technical problem" but the Captain of the flight did give information when he adressed the passengers. This information could be of use in the pursuit of my claim. Please reply if you witnessed his address and I will contact you.
  • To Mark (Centipede).

That's fantastic news that Monarch actually replied to you. Can you tell me what flight you were on. I came back from Malaga with them on 4/11/2012 on ZB655 to Manchester following a 9 hour delay, but have still not heard anything at all.

Kind Regards

Linda :T
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2013 at 11:50AM
    Options
    ZB 277 PMI - LGW 07/10/12

I'm not centipede :)

I've now added to my OP to include this flight number, i'll add more as and when they become known, so that a checklist is available for people to refer to.
  • Vauban
    Options
    This week marks three months to the day since Monarch received my claim for compensation. And still nothing beyond a terse acknowledgement that they are dealing with it. Their social media team yesterday reminded me that the claim could not be rushed. Of all my criticisms of Monarch, the fact that they were "rushing" through the claims would not make my top ten ...

I spoke with the CAA today who confirmed I had waited too long already, and that they would make representations to Monarch. But, as the chap said, there was no UK legislation to force the pace and airlines were consequently taking their time. I conceded that this was going to end up before a judge, but asked for the CAA's help in elciting a response from Monarch and investigating the circumstances of the "technical fault" that grounded the (outgoing) aircraft for my incoming flight.

Meanwhile, in statisticians corner ...

Easyjet Flights Gatwick/Sharm (2012): flights leaving within 15 minutes of scheduled departure (83.4%).

Monarch Flight Gatwick/Sharm (2012): flights leaving within 15 minutes of scheduled departure (64.6%).

Telling, isn't it? (Indeed, arguably quite "extraordinary";))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport