We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Monarch delays & Compensations. Listed flights denied in O.P.

Options

Comments

• Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Success at last!! :T:T:T

I have received an email from Monarch this morning, contents are self explanatory!

Our Reference EU/******

20 January 2013

Dear *my & my wifes names*

I am sorry to learn of the disappointment that prompted your correspondence. Providing our passengers with safe and efficient service is our first priority. I would like to reassure you that every effort is made to ensure the flights depart on time and in the unlikely event we are unable to do so, we aim to get you to your destination at the earliest opportunity. That said, our ability to keep disruption to a minimum is always dependant on the resources available to us on the day.

I can confirm that your claim for compensation has now been assessed and you are entitled to compensation in accordance with EU Regulation EC261/2004 due to your delay.

In line with the above a cheque to the value of £209.84 (the Sterling equivalent of €250.00 based on today’s Reuters exchange rate) will be forwarded to each claimant within fourteen working days.

Yours sincerely

Mrs Hayley Kiely

EU Claim Team

Yay!!! Looks like I'm the first one then!!
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January 2013 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Mark that's fantastic news - well done!:beer:

Let us hope you are shining a light on a happy path for the rest of us!:T

(That said, my claim is on behalf of my family of five, over 3500k - which would make €3000 in total. So I can't see them wanting to give it up without a fight!)
  • Mark2spark
    Options
    LBD wrote: »

what date did you submit your claim form? just curious, mine was submitted on the 02/11/2012..

I sent it by recorded D on 31 Oct.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So you sent yours the day after me. Hopefully I'll get a response in a few days, not hopefully of it being favorable though without a fight
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »

So was the extraordinary circumstance the technical fault or the diversion or a combination of both I wonder
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .........Are they?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Mark2spark
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    .........Are they?

Post # 211 ;)
  • rhylbloke
    Options
    Hi,
    I submitted the template letter two weeks ago, to Thomas Cook re: a flight from Manchester to Zante on 6th Sept 2012, which was delayed by six and a half hours. The reason given at the check-in desk was a "bird strike", and the reason given on the rejection letter, received today, was :-

" .. having carried out a full investigation the specific circumstances surrounding the delay to your own flight were of a technical nature, which were extraordinary, despite Thomas Cook taking all reasonable precautions necessary to prevent the situation. "

This was followed by some waffle about technical problems in general, comparing them to my car breaking down.

They seemed to be quite happy that the £4 vouchers that my wife and myself received were quite adequate as "..welfare, in line with our obligations under EU regulation 261/2004. " Not sure what the regulations say about "welfare", but £4 seems a laughable amount for spending over six hours in an airport where everything is overpriced.
    Anyway, I really can't decide whether it's worth carrying on with this, arguing about what is "extraordinary" ; it would never have occurred to me to claim compensation if I hadn't seen the MSE e-mail about the subject several weeks ago. What do you think ?
    :(
    Sorry, just realised I seem to have put this into a thread specifically about Monarch.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rhylbloke wrote: »
    Hi,
    I submitted the template letter two weeks ago, to Thomas Cook re: a flight from Manchester to Zante on 6th Sept 2012, which was delayed by six and a half hours. The reason given at the check-in desk was a "bird strike", and the reason given on the rejection letter, received today, was :-

:(
    Sorry, just realised I seem to have put this into a thread specifically about Monarch.

Even though you have posted in wrong thread I respond as reply may assist others.

1) Extraordinary circumstances cannot be claimed by airline if there is a technical problem.
    2) A bird strike is an ordinary matter that happens on a regular basis - see http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2008/srg_as_ukbirdstrikes_2010-2012.pdf
    and this is for the reported strikes only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport