Ask Atos Healthcare disability assessment questions

Options

Comments

• Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    Options
    JS477 wrote: »
    Before you go Atos Rep.

Does the "doctor" or "HCP" read the claimants ESA50 prior to the WCA?
    Olive_Oyl wrote: »
    And can they carry out an assesment without an ESA50 ?

Hi JS477 and Olive Oyl

An ESA50 form will be read by a HCP at what is called the filework or scrutiny stage, before a face-to-face assessment has been arranged. This is to see whether advice can be given to the Decision Maker at DWP without the need to ask an individual in for an assessment. If a face-to-face assessment is required, the HCP who will carry this out will also read the ESA50 before it begins.

A claimant is required by DWP to complete an ESA50 as part of their claim. However if an individual suffers from a mental health problem, although they will be given the opportunity to complete an ESA50, they will not be required to do so. If an assessment is then required, the HCP can proceed without it and will cover all the relevant areas with the claimant during their conversation.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Hi JS477

An ESA50 form will be read by a HCP at what is called the filework or scrutiny stage, before a face-to-face assessment has been arranged. This is to see whether advice can be given to the Decision Maker at DWP without the need to ask an individual in for an assessment. If a face-to-face assessment is required, the HCP who will carry this out will also read the ESA50 before it begins.

As a follow up question to this does the "HCP" or "doctor" read any additional evidence that is submitted with the ESA50 for example hospital letters from the claimants consultant or GP's letters prior to a F2F assessment being considered.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Can 'unauthorised' recordings be used

"""They will be able to confirm this on the day"""

They present you with a fait accompli, usually on the day of the appointment in the interview room or at home if its a home assessment. Refusal to undergo the interview can lead to an immediate suspension or worse of benefits. You therefore have two choices (1) record it furtively for your own personal records, or (2) gently insist on a recorded interview in a mutually acceptable venue only when appropriate recording facilities are available and with a reasonable minimum of one weeks advance notification.

They have softened their stance on recording of recent months, and are requiring their staff to 'accommodate' recording, however the 'on the day' is going to leave you deliberately looking like a 'refusenik'

I'd just get the sodding thing over with and record it anyway, just do not tell them you are doing so or have done so. At least that way you have a verbatim record of the spoken word.

Atos guidance on taping below.

Unauthorized taping can be used as evidence in tribunals as the technical rules of evidence that apply to the courts don’t apply to tribunals. In 2010 the DWP and Atos carried out a pilot using taping but I’m not aware of what the conclusions were or what became of them.

Audio or video taping of examinations

The DWP never requires that a medical assessment for the purpose of advising on entitlement to state sickness or disability benefits be recorded on audio or videotape. Any requests by claimants to tape an examination should not be directly refused, but our policy in these circumstances should be fully explained to them. Claimants may request that their interview and assessment by a Medical Services doctor in respect of a benefit claim be recorded either on audio or videotape. Such a request can only be agreed with the prior consent of the examining doctor, and then only if stringent safeguards are in place to ensure that the recording is complete, accurate, and that the facility is available for simultaneous copies to be made available to all parties present. The recording must be made by a professional operator, on equipment of a high standard, properly calibrated by a qualified engineer immediately prior to the recording being made. The equipment must have facility for reproduction so that a copy of the tape can be retained by all parties

The responsibility for meeting the cost of the above requirement rests with the claimant.

Any request by a claimant for an assessment to be audio or videotaped must be declined unless the above safeguards are in place. The claimant must instead be offered the opportunity of a rescheduled assessment in the presence of a companion or other witness. If the claimant refuses to avail him/her self of this opportunity and refuses to proceed with the assessment, the doctor should return the file to the DWP with a note explaining the situation.

Unauthorised Taping

It is for Medical Services, in conjunction with their legal advisers, to determine the action to be taken in the event of a claimant making an audio or video recording without the prior knowledge and consent of the examining doctor, or without ensuring that the safeguards defined above are in place.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    Options
    I think if the tribunal service requested an assessment i would have been informed i think.Why would they request an assessment if one has already been done?Even if they did request one,after 7/8 month a ESA50 would need to be filled because a lot can change in that time,and how can atos decide to do a face to face when they have no information to decide i have a home visit/or esa wrag/or esa support.You need an esa50 to decide.If they are saying a new assessment is needed,why is that?is it because the original assessment was not fit for purpose?

Hi vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

You would need to contact us directly for us to be able to confirm either way, and if you have been referred by the Tribunal Service you will need to discuss this with them.
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    As a follow up question to this does the "HCP" or "doctor" read any additional evidence that is submitted with the ESA50 for example hospital letters from the claimants consultant or GP's letters prior to a F2F assessment being considered.
    Options
    JS477 wrote: »

Hi JS477, here is the post that answers your question
    Before a face to face assessment is arranged an Atos Healthcare professional will consider all available evidence to decide whether advice can be provided to the DWP without the need for a face to face assessment. Any medical evidence provided with the questionnaire is helpful, especially if it’s from a medical professional providing your care and treatment. For example, if any of the Support Group criteria are clearly met, for those with the most severe functional restriction, a face to face assessment won’t be needed
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    Options
    Hi vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

You would need to contact us directly for us to be able to confirm either way, and if you have been referred by the Tribunal Service you will need to discuss this with them.

Letter from you says "we have been asked by the DWP"
  • isolation
    isolation Posts: 120 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2013 at 10:30AM
    Options
    nixe wrote: »
    thanx she recorded the test in secret, can she use it?
    there was other things said as well, friend is still upset.

Definitely lodge a complaint - Though they will just say that the HCP can't remember doing so and that customer services were not present at the assessment and so cannot confirm.

They will probably also say that they cannot accept the recording as the HCP was not made aware of it

(both of these happened with us).

Follow the complaint through to their 3rd tier (I have a copy of their complaints procedure if ATOS refuse to give it to you)

Complain to your MP and to the regulatory body of the HCP (GMC or NMC) - Both of the latter should allow the recordings to be taken into account.

Good luck,
    Dee
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 13 February 2013 at 3:14PM
    Options
    Hi everyone

Can we ask a favour?

Could you try to keep the thread on topic, with just questions for Atos please so they can easily see the questions and hopefully give our forum users answers?

Also, where it can't answer a question because it's not something it covers we're encouraging Atos to post saying it can't answer but that it can give a link to where the answer can be found.

Obviously this shouldn't take away from posts it can answer but hopefully this will help people when it can't.

Thanks in advance

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Options
    Letter from you says "we have been asked by the DWP"

Hi vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

If the Tribunal Service request an assessment they do so via DWP, so that wording doesn’t rule out that possibility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure