Need not Want.

Options

Comments

• Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    It's finally pay day tomorrow, and I'm quite excited for the new month. I need a couple of bits of food, but after that, I'd quite like take out £10 and see how long I can make it last. It will make me very strict about what I need.

I did that this week. It's hard for a bit but then it becomes a challenge and, being a smidge competitive, it really makes me determined not to spend.

Sold a pair of shoes for 99p today! Bit less than I'd hoped for but better than them taking up space in my wardrobe
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    I do however have one question....I've never yet managed to be organised enough to have a bag ready. I'm struggling to decide what might be needed. All ideas gratefully received.

Most of what you'll want to take is 'just in case' because it entirely depends on your labour! I packed my bag FULL of nibbles (for energy in a long labour!), Kindle, ipod, magazines/books....I got to the hospital less than 3 hours before DD was born so didn't have time to use anything except nightwear (inc dressign gown & slippers) & toiletries afterwards! I gave birth in the rugby top I arrived in...
    Take a few pairs of knickers & a good few heavy flow sanitary pads (wouldn't bother with maternity pads, they're just HUGE & too uncomfortable. You'll need maybe 2 outfits for baby, plus nappies/cotton wool. Mobile (full charged as you can't charge on the ward) & camera - I still look back at those first few photo's - seems so long ago now! The wards are usually quite warm for the babies, but take a pair of socks as the shivers are quite common after birth. Also take some paracetomol as sometimes you an't get hold of a nurse for pain relief afterwards.
    Trying to think of anything else! There are quite a few lists online if you google it.
    C xx
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Got given an extra day a week contract today so very pleased. Will definately help with the debt busting.

Nearly run out of conditioner so will be on next weeks list and in light of the above some new work trousers are rapidly becoming a need.

Was almost spring like here today. Lovely!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Such an inspiring thread, may I join in too please?? :-)

I used to have the triple whammy of need, want or just plain fancy. I dread to think how much I've wasted over the years.

Anyway, new year, new start and all that.

Spent about £9 in Herr A today. All needs, although some could have waited a week or 2. I wanted to go to the bank though and as I was using their car park,it seemed sensible.

I've just moved back from clothes wash tabs, to powder. Can't believe how much I'm saving, both in initial cost and then just being more frugal with it.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Skint_Catt
    Options
    catshark88 wrote: »
    I've just moved back from clothes wash tabs, to powder. Can't believe how much I'm saving, both in initial cost and then just being more frugal with it.

If you buy a bag of soda crystals (90p last time I bought some) and use less powder, and a small scoop of soda crystals it goes even further & a small bag lasts ages. It softens the water so you use less detergent (see the foam if you don't!!) & is a good stain remover too :)
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    catshark88 wrote: »

Have you seen the new Aldi advert for washing powder? Well known named brand for £7.49 (22 washes) or Aldi special £2.99 (30 washes). Hmm...:cool:

As an acquaintance told me, its the same washing powder, they just put different packaging around it....

Skint_Cat, thanks so much for the ideas. I'll go Bing it, but I was also looking for the personal recommendations. The last two times have been all of a rush so it was basically, make do with whatever 'he' throws in a bag after the fact. It would be nice to be sort of organised this time.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Hmmm, I'm right up for this too.

Went shopping tonight. Did sort of OK. Bought some unnecessary reduced doughnuts (20p) and cookies (30p) which DS has already dived into. Also, bought some washing powder that we really don't need - we move on Friday and it's something else to carry. Unfortunately, my OH is a bit funny about brands and the one we have to have is on "better than half price" right now so in the long term, it will save us a fiver or so.

I'm also going to keep my business costs (I have a small t-shirt and garment cottage industry) completely separate as they really are wants (but if I don't buy, I don't make money!).

I can't deny my DS, but this week he needed new shoes (he kindly let me know on Sunday night - my wife went nuts!) and he can't see through his hair so has now decided that his hippy look must go.

I'll be honest - I budget £0 per month for haircuts. I have mine done by a friend when I can be bothered. DS tends to pay for his himself (he works 1 day a week), but is saving so I can hardly deny him.

So.... from here on in... everything I spend is going to be "need".
  • Oops and to add: Skint_cat, not only do Soda Crystals work (we've done this for years), they also prolong the life of your washing machine, particularly for us in a very hard water area

Firewyrm: Daz and Surf are currently £4 in Tesco for 38 wash.
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Excellent idea Skint_Cat, will try that.

I haven't seen the Ald! Add, that's the powder I got. I'd bought a box of 10 wash Waitrose brand just before Christmas and I've got way more than 10 washes from it. Clothes look/ smell clean and no one in family has noticed any difference.

Am also using a bit of white vinegar instead of conditioner. Wish someone would do a list of "100 uses for white vinegar", it seems an amazing substance!

FireWyrm, I would also take a bottle of water, a good book and a couple of mags in case you want to take your mind off things for a bit. :-)
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Skint_Catt
    Options
    I use Aldi washing liquid & find it fab :)

Sorry FireWyrm - thought it was your first mini Wyrm! :)

C xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport