Need not Want.

Options

Comments

• minicooper272
    Options
    I started working on a new budget today, and kept thinking of the whole thing in terms of 'want' and 'need'! It's infectious! I need to start saving for a mortgage, and also need to put money aside for emergencies, so I've set up a Budget that hopefully means I won't need to touch my savings if something bad crops up.

I've been debt busting for so long and eeking things out, so I'm also starting a small 'wants' fund to start replacing it all, they're things i'd hate tomlive without, but don't necessarily need. Something around £50 a month will let me save up for holidays, a new mp3 player, etc etc, and if I want something sooner then I can try too use less of my monthly pocket money, and whatever is left gets split 50:50 debts:deposit. But I might be more flexible on the leftovers. I thought it sounded sensible at least...
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Walking Boots - Try Ebay. I got some fantastic leather knee high boots for about £6 including postage. Worth a look.

I am slightly gobsmacked as I have just sold a 4 month old copy of Good Housekeeping!!! Was destined for the recycling.

New financial month for me tomorrow. Lots of extra work which is all good.

Had a scare yesterday as had an overusage fee of £50 on my broad band. Have signed up for an unlimited bundle and also bit the bullet and paid for line rental up front saving hopefully in the long run making a saving but an up front cost I could of done without.

Have been slipping abck into smoking real cigarettes (my biggest financial nightmare) but back on the rollies.

I was wondering if we could start a 'What do I need' discussion. Things like how many bedding sets do we think we need, shoes, coats, towels etc etc.

I'll start....I have about 8 bath sheet size towels and 4 hand towels (2 of us) so I definately do not NEED any more towels.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Yep - free ebay listing weekend this weekend :D
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Been off work with a cold today. Made the most of it and listed all the stuff on eBay that's in my box, apart from a few cuddly toys as they don't seem to sell at all, might carboot them or maybe keep them for the mini-katz we are planning! And I can't quite bring myself to part with a couple of wedding bits just yet...on the plus side I've got bids on 4items and watchers on a few more :D

on the subject of needs 365 we have 3sets of sheets for each bed, as much as I'd love new ones I def don't need them. Also, with 3smart winter coats, 2lighter macs and a waterproof for dog walking I don't need any more of them either!
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • Katzen
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    about to nip out to discount store to get some packing materials for eBay items and some milk. That is all I need! Writing it down so I stick to it
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ironically, I need a printer cartridge so I can print of a packing slip and return label for Amazon and return something it turns out I dont actually need....

The cost of the printer cartridge cancels out the refund of the item....

I also need to print a packing slip for something sold on Ebay and a couple of others working their way through the system.

Annoyingly, I also need to put petrol in the car so I can drive to the Storage Base and clear out the lockup so I dont have to pay storage fees on stuff I dont want...

Confused yet?
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Katzen
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    Ironically, I need a printer cartridge so I can print of a packing slip and return label for Amazon and return something it turns out I dont actually need....

The cost of the printer cartridge cancels out the refund of the item....

I also need to print a packing slip for something sold on Ebay and a couple of others working their way through the system.

Annoyingly, I also need to put petrol in the car so I can drive to the Storage Base and clear out the lockup so I dont have to pay storage fees on stuff I dont want...

Confused yet?

Or you could look at it as you're getting a printer cartridge (which you need) instead of some stuff you didn't, as you will probably need the cartridge at some other point anyway.
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • asparagus1968
    Options
    can't you write out the labels then take them to the post office on your way to the petrol station? (I presume it's the postage paid labels you print out?) Ignore me if I'm being thick!
    Ink is so flipping expensive.!!
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    can't you write out the labels then take them to the post office on your way to the petrol station? (I presume it's the postage paid labels you print out?) Ignore me if I'm being thick!
    Ink is so flipping expensive.!!

I would, but since I bought it on super-saver, that means I didnt pay shipping in the first place and therefore dont need to pay shipping on return. The post office is at the top of the road...so walkable if carefully on the ice.

I'm looking forward to getting rid of the Storage Locker, it's been pi$$ing me off for years, I dread to think how much we've wasted.

I need the printer cartridge because we exhausted the free ones that come with the printer. We were given the printer, so a minor win there along with a TV which made my January I must say.

I'm just mildly annoyed that the universe is conspiring against me, in however small a way with the money in being cancelled by the money out scenario.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2013 at 6:40PM
    Options
    Oh Firewyrm you do make me smile! At least the printer ink will last some time (I presume!) & the storage costs you'll be saving outweigh everything ;)

I do hate paying for ink though, and petrol! lol

A small spend for me as I bought something extra for dinner which took me over the spend reimbursement amount for a mystery shop so just 88p for me. Went to see some friends with & we went for a VERY bitter cold walk - nowhere to spend money as out in the country :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure