Daniels Silverman debt for fuel advice!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
60 replies 4.9K views
MarkSigzMarkSigz Forumite
7 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Hello

About a month ago i filled my van with fuel at a Shell garage but i forgot my card so couldn't pay.

I was given a letter saying i had to pay within 7 days but i totally forgot about it.
Today i received a letter from Daniels Silverman Debt Recovery saying I now apparently owe them just over £100 for not paying for the fuel within 7 days.

However, the registration of the vehicle in question on the letter they sent is different to my vehicles registration. The first part of the reg is correct but the second part is totally different.
They do however have the correct address and my correct name.

Am i obliged to pay this still considering they do not even have the correct vehicle information?
If i call and say this isnt my vehicle surely there is no way i should have to pay it unless they get back to me with a correct vehicle reg?

Replies

• RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As my teenage daughter would say "sounds legit!" :)
  • Joe_HornerJoe_Horner Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    No you don't have to pay.

Instead you can wait for it to go to court and get stung for the costs involved as well when the Judge rules that the mistake on the registration is a trifling error and that (surprise surprise) you do have to pay for goods you received like everyone else.
  • rs65rs65 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    MarkSigz wrote: »
    Am i obliged to pay this still considering they do not even have the correct vehicle information?
    It's you who owes the money, not the car.

If I was you I would pay it before any other costs/charges are incurred.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet they have the right information when you goto court.

Or its a silly mistake a 0 instead of an O ?

You had fuel and didnt pay. Keep an eye out for the court papers.
    If you dont attend and dont pay the Bailiff's maybe watching your car.

Pay it before it gets that far. There maybe debt collection fees already. Its not going to go away.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• starrystarrystarrystarry Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was given a letter saying i had to pay within 7 days but i totally forgot about it.

How could you possibly forget about this? I'd be so mortified that I was unable to pay for my fuel in the first place, there's no way it would slip my mind. Are you sure you didn't just hope it would go away?
  • Thanks for the replies.

Let's say for example somebody went into the petrol station who knew me and used my name and address and put down a number plate similar to mine.
    I get a letter through post with wrong reg on it. Why should I pay? The petrol station should have come outside and recorded the vehicle reg properly or checked camera to get vehicle reg.
  • The reg is bp07 --- the first bp07 is right and second 3 characters are completely wrong.
  • starrystarrystarrystarry Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Let's say for example somebody went into the petrol station who knew me and used my name and address and put down a number plate similar to mine.
    I get a letter through post with wrong reg on it. Why should I pay? Because you owe the money. The petrol station should have come outside and recorded the vehicle reg properly or checked camera to get vehicle reg. And you should have made sure you had the means to pay.

Just a couple of thoughts ^^
  • colinocolino Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the CCTV, that they absolutely have, of you and your driveaway are going to quickly escalate when they call off the debt collectors and have you charged instead. Good call.
  • TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get a letter through post with wrong reg on it. Why should I pay? The petrol station should have come outside and recorded the vehicle reg properly or checked camera to get vehicle reg.
    But that's not what happened. You filled up, and didn't pay. And now you think it's OK not to pay just because of a typo. I'm amazed you have the nerve to come on to MSE and try to defend your actions, I hope they take you to court.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides