Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Another low spend week done and dusted. Happy Friday everyone!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    I had to have a snow day today as it wasn't worth risking the drive to work. We did go out in town to have a nice hot chocolate and enjoy the snow before it all got trampled on though, so while I didn't buy lunch, the hot chocolate wasn't exactly cheap (it was breakfast time though, so does it count? lol).

We did incorporate the supermarket in the walk though & stocked up on special offers for my lunchboxes. I noticed the M'sons have some food flasks in which are on offer at £3 if anyone was thinking of getting one, but they looked a bit on the small side (I don't know how big they were with other brands?). I didn't get one at the moment as I'm unsure I'd get much use out of it. I'm super fussy with soup & usually only have cup a soups anyway...

How has the snow affected everyone else? x
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • Hello everyone

I have been back to work for 9 days since I joined this challenge and went back to work after Christmas and have not bought a single lunch! :)

Today I didn't take anything in and thought I would make do with Weetabix but was so busy at work due to people working from home, taking leave and me getting away around 4pm that I ended up going without.

I am going to spend a couple of hours on Sunday organising lunches for next week.

Yesterday, was soup from the cupboard which is great but I do prefer to make my own.

A tip for mayo (if it hasn't been mentioned already), add a spoonful of mustard. I don't eat meat anymore but for those that do, it goes really well with ham, gammon or bacon & egg. I add mustard to my soup as well (depending on what I am making, it gives a nice kick to it).

Take care.

CW
    NSD Challenge 2015: Jan 20 / 20 (2 x 5 in-a-row) / Feb 5 / 12 (4 in-a-row) :D

Lesson learnt from 2012: I cannot be trusted to credit card stooze!

Barclaycard at 2 / 02 / 2015 [STRIKE]£4,600[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4540[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4250[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4000[/STRIKE] £3250 need to pay it off by 08 / 2015 before mortgage completion
  • saintly_2
    saintly_2 Posts: 544 Forumite
    Oooooh i wouldnt mind joining this challenge. Spend about £120 a month (jjjjeeeeezzzzz only just worked it out) on dodgy canteen food. £3 for brekkie and £4 for lunch, that doesnt include vending machine snacks. Work 4 x 10 hour days

So today i have baked some fruity brekkie muffins and made some sausage rolls, going to stick to £40 a month from now on including drinks
    Married my amazing hubby on 8th September 2012 :j:j
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Welcome aboard, Saintly!

I'll be having tuna sandwich tomorrow and then we'll be having jacket potatoes for tea so I can bake an extra one to reheat for lunch on Tuesday.

We are having groceries delivered today but I have cancelled the 5 tins of beans with sausages I had earmarked for my store drawer because I *have* a tin of beans and I *have* a tin of hot dog sausages so I can decant them into sandwich boxes for the remaining three days :)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone :j

Just popping in quickly to say welcome to all newbies and well done everyone else, keep up the good work :T

I must apologise for not posting, I'm not ignoring you - I am ill with the flu :(

I will be back up and running as soon as I can.

Well done peeps :T:T
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    i survived week 2. Only 15 more lunches to go until I can say I've done my first half term of packed lunches :j
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    saintly wrote: »
    Oooooh i wouldnt mind joining this challenge. Spend about £120 a month (jjjjeeeeezzzzz only just worked it out) on dodgy canteen food. £3 for brekkie and £4 for lunch, that doesnt include vending machine snacks. Work 4 x 10 hour days

:eek::eek: But now that you're cutting down, think what you can do with the money!! :T

@kittie: I have also been ill and not keeping up with anything.. I have had constant colds/head colds/coughs/possibly flu for the last 5ish weeks. I only started work 6ish weeks ago! Hope you feel better soon.

I still haven't bought many lunches (one in total this month). The last week work bought me lunch. Saved probably about £25 thus far : )
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2013 at 8:35PM
    My lunchbox materials have been sorted for this week and tomorrow's lunchbox has already been packed. I've banana sandwiches tomorrow and 3 boiled eggs in shells sat in the fridge ready to be made into egg mayo sandwiches as required.

I now have a dedicated snack tub in the cupboard which is where I will store all the cheap crisps and chocolate bars ready for lunchboxes, at the moment it's stuffed with bacon fries and cheesy dorito's, m'son's savers chocolate bars & some mint aero biscuit bars. The idea being that I can stock up on shop offers as and when they arise (which will help to maintain some variety and prevent boredom), but I will set my limit to filling this tub so that I don't get carried away, for example, I must have about 20 or 30 packets of crisps in there right now but couldn't possibly fit any more in. However there are maybe only 10 chocolate bars so I could pick up some more next time I see some on offer. I bought some actimel's last week because they were on offer and my dp had been suffering with a bad tummy, there were enough to have half each for a week so I used mine as the drink in my lunchbox. This means I have the juice cartons left over that I'd bought beforehand still to use up.

I had to buy some baby food today (not for a baby but for my poorly lizard) and found a 2 pack of tubs with lids. Having used one already I kept hold of the tub and washed it up as I thought this would be a perfect lunchbox container for jelly or perhaps to divide a large yoghurt pot into lunchtime portions. The baby food isn't a very MSE thing to buy for most people, but if anyone thinks they might be useful, maybe you have friends with babies who uses them & could give you theirs?

Edit: Ooh, I just had another idea... rice pudding portioned up (the tubs are microwaveable). Yum yum!
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • Hello!

I know it's late on in the month, but better late than never?

Can I join in for the rest of the month?

SNH xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport