Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 81

New Post Advanced Search

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 12 December 2012 at 3:40PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.1K replies 132.6K views

Replies

• The only thing we need today is milk - let's hope I can go to the supermarket, pick up the milk, head straight to check out and pay for milk :-)

Lol - I'm not suggesting I wouldn't usually head to the check-out - just that I've got a tendancy to have a look around to see what else I can buy
  • jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

I can't find the post I made about making butter last December or January. I want to post a link for someone who has asked me.

I've done a search but nothing had come up. :(
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Budgets done to here :)

Hello to:
    Kameleon, snowbrow, GILL635, xxsally1990xx, Mumof2, mumwithamission, jem1980 and Plethora :D

StressedOutMummy - would you like to set a budget for January?

We have friends over for dinner tonight, so have just made a choc pavlova, strawberry and almond crumble and have prepped the meat and veg. Last bit of entertaining before I knuckle down and lose some weight ;)

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • raphaniusraphanius Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Picked up some shin beef and bread rolls plus a sandwich for work yesterday at local butchers costing £6.48 making my total £54.62 the good news is today is a NSD hopefully the first of many this month :D
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • Mrs_T_MMrs_T_M Forumite
    2K posts
    Just eeked out 220 g salmon meat from the scraps from the whole salmon we bought before Christmas (the scraps have been taking up way too much room in the freezer). Going to make a fish pie with that tonight and I'm making fish stock from the other bits of 'leftover' salmon.

One problem: I've no clue what to use the fish stock in! Ideas?
    Baby Dale
    26th January 2014 - Forever in our hearts
    :A
    Eli Gabriel 19th February 2015
    :j
  • My first week on the grocery challenge and including shopping today at Aldi and some toiletries from Bodycare, our total for the week is £37.93!!

This is a huge reduction on what I would normally spend but I took the advice from this thread and did a stocktake before I went shopping, made a list (and stuck to it:o)

I have made a meal plan for the week for our evening meals and will take sandwiches to work so fingers crossed for several NSD's over the next few days:)
  • missmucksmummissmucksmum Forumite
    222 posts
    ✭✭
    Mrs_T_M wrote: »
    Just eeked out 220 g salmon meat from the scraps from the whole salmon we bought before Christmas (the scraps have been taking up way too much room in the freezer). Going to make a fish pie with that tonight and I'm making fish stock from the other bits of 'leftover' salmon.

One problem: I've no clue what to use the fish stock in! Ideas?

Hi you could use some to make the sauce for the fish pie then you could use the rest to make risoto or paella, freeze in ice cubes then you can esily add to these dishes or for future fish pies x
    January Grocery Challenge £203.50/£200 :)
    13NSD
    February Grocery Challenge £59.20/£200
  • Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I can't find the post I made about making butter last December or January. I want to post a link for someone who has asked me.

I've done a search but nothing had come up. :(

I did a search and found the following, don't know if this is what you mean?:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=49786013&postcount=5124

Sorry if it's not!
    Married March 2014, DS born Dec 2015, DD born Dec 2018

July Grocery Challenge: £0/£400
  • jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks blue green. It was a step by step tutorial with pics for every stage. I've looked and looked but can't see it anywhere.

I'm pretty sure it was on the grocery xhallengw thread but ther is a wee chance it was on the grabbit thread too. It is so frustrating :(

I assumed it was under the index but it isn't there either. :(
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • storytimestorytime Forumite
    333 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    My first grocery shop of the New Year £41.76 at mrT, £1.74 at mrS and £48.89 at Lids , so total £92.39. I'm spending the day cooking tomorrow making a large batch of mince base to freeze in portions. Each portion will then make either,chilli, bolonese or lasagne, when needed during the month. Also trying soup making in the slow cooker. I have all the meat we need for the month in the freezer including Christmas leftovers so hopefully I shouldn't have to spend too much this month. 3 nsd's do far!The small amount I spent at mr s was all the basic range suggested on the under 50p thread including the t bags.
    My secret fantasy is having 2 men....
    1 cooking and 1 cleaning.