PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• redbooties
    Options
    I did another huge shop in Mr T:o this has taken me £38.43 over budget. I think the best thing I can do is up my budget to £450 and so I have £11.57 left until the 1st of Febuary. I do have a large stock cupboard to live off so it is doable, I just need to stretch my meat and veg a bit more.
  • MummyEm
    MummyEm Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    So I did a quick 'freezer shop'. Found milk I'd forgotten about that I froze before our hols. Also defrosted soup for lunch tomorrow and YS potato cakes for kiddies snacks.

I have mealplanned up to Wednesday next week. I will need a few bits from the shop fruit/veg/meat for two evening meals and some fish. I will get these tomorrow. That should leave me plenty in my budget to do a bigger shop next week to take me through to 1st Feb.

We have friends coming to stay next week so need to start thinking about an evening meal for Sat. We are going for pub lunch with them on Sunday but I'm hoping to have enough left in the grocery budget to cover this too.
  • Lolkat
    Lolkat Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    MummyEm wrote: »
    So I did a quick 'freezer shop'. Found milk I'd forgotten about that I froze before our hols.

I loved doing this last big shop. There's so much forgotten stuff at the back of my freezer. So 3 meals this week from the freezer and although I haven't sat down and done it yet, there's at least another 4 meals. I added a reduced price roasting joint in there last night too. This month could be very purse friendly as I really do need to use up what's in there to defrost it.

Though what I'm going to do with frozen broad beans(yuck) and frozen diced mango I'm not sure.
    Grocery Challenge January 2013 282/300
    Grocery Challenge February 2013 195/200
    Grocery Challenge March 2013 50.08/200

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Today's and tomorrow's dinner results from another trip to the freezer....

photo-987.jpg

Got stacks leftover for a JJs leftover pie with cheap value plain flour and my own butter from whoopsied cream.

:j :j
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • lizalloareds
    lizalloareds Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    Options
    75p spend today sig updated
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Im loving some of the meals this challenge has forced out of me!

Ive just had the most fab Chicken and Veg risotto-type concoction :D

Some chicken stock from my rubber chicken,
    a few handfuls of rice,
    some left over chicken and veg,
    a few handfuls of frozen veg
    The end of a jar of pesto
    and the last of some garlic and herb philly.

Yum yum yum :D

And theres enough for another two portions for tea at work. :j

Im not sure how it will be when its reheated, but im hoping it will be ok!
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • Solstice_3
    Options
    Tales17 wrote: »
    Didn't know about the Mr T price promise, just gone on and done 4 receipts so will see what I get back! :)

Didn't know that either! Thanks for posting, no idea if I'll get anything for my receipt but it's worth a try :)

Did my first APG and got 21p voucher, ridiculously excited lol, every little helps though.

Small spends today 83p at work last night on crisps and hot chocolate sachet and £5.09 today at Asda on tonight's dinner.

Sig updated :)
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    €16.82 spent today. Milk, yoghurt, veg and 7.5kg sack of spuds from supermarket and two packs of yeast from HFS.
    Finding this month very hard, financially :(
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,887 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

(((hugs))) to those struggling this month. Don't think the cold weather helps tbh as all I want to do is snack :o

Small spend of £5 in C00p today on 2 x 4 pinter of milk, 4 pack caramel, 4 pack twirl and 9 pack snacksize timeouts :o Nice to have in the fridge to cheer up a dull day, although when I'm (at least) £3 over at month end I will be kicking myself :p

Had the slow cooker on today - ys pork spare rib steaks with a jar of smart price sweet and sour sauce. Did blue dragon noodles with it. Delish, really easy, and clean plates. Can't ask for any more than that!

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD again today :)

Roast chicken, mash and veg for dinner, LO,s will be made into a pie for tomorrow night
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family