Options

Comments

• annie1975_2
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    So Incapacity up 1% (if at all)
    ESA up 1%
    IS (claimed for illness) up 1%
    DLA up 2,2% but loads are being kicked off anyway with the introduction of PIP.

Protecting the disabled? Don't make me laugh.

Those in employment can find a better paid job to increase their income. I know how tough the jobs market is but there is always that chance, even if it is small.

For the majority on disability benefits there is no hope and that will be the income they are stuck with. They don't always have the option to get better and find a job to increase their income like those in employment do.

Easier said than done.There's a lot of people out there really struggling to get any kind of job,let alone people trying to get better jobs.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Didn't we do this one to death already? Just going over and over old ground isn't going to change anything.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • annie1975_2
    Options
    yellowduck wrote: »
    and of course gas, electricity and water will all continue their inexorable upwards rise making it even harder for most people of modest means to get by. And when the localisation of council tax benefit begins to hit home people will be struggling even more. It is not just those who are not working who will be affected, in work poverty will increase too. Grim times are ahead for many.

Also petrol prices and public transport costs mean some won't even be able to afford to get to work...Ours is one of the council's who have increased council tax every year,we have had no freeze.
  • MissMoneypenny
    Options

You seem to be getting muddled between those who actually are disabled and those who just claimed they are disabled for benefits purposes (but aren't really).

I was shocked to see that I could claim low rate DLA, as I don't consider myself disabled and work full time.

It's right that those who could work full time and who don't need extra money for their "disabilty", should be stopped from receiving these welfare payments under PIP.
    Those in employment can find a better paid job to increase their income. I know how tough the jobs market is but there is always that chance, even if it is small.

So could those on low rate DLA and some of those on the higher rates. I know a taxi driver who only has 1 arm and he works full time. I also know someone who has lost the use of their legs and he works full time in an office, too.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 2:47PM
    Options
    BurnleyBob wrote: »
    There's speculation that the trigger (i.e. a currency crisis) for what will prove to be the cratering of UK Plc will be announced later today when credit agency Fitch takes the AAA off the UK's debt.

If we have to pay higher interest rates on the massive debts the last government ran up, there will have to be deeper cuts just to pay the interest only part of those debts.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.

• Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    BurnleyBob wrote: »
    the vast majority of households in the UK are in receipt of at least one benefit and it's odds on that most of them are too...

That's a great exaggeration even if you're being pedantic and including the state pension.

There are approximately 24 million households in the UK with 5 million of them claiming WTC/CTC and just over 7 million of them pensioners.

In nobody's book is 12 million a "vast majority" of 24 million.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    You seem to be getting muddled between those who actually are disabled and those who just claimed they are disabled for benefits purposes (but aren't really).

I was shocked to see that I could claim low rate DLA, as I don't consider myself disabled and work full time.

It's right that those who could work full time and who don't need extra money for their "disabilty", should be stopped from receiving these welfare payments under PIP.

So could those on low rate DLA and some of those on the higher rates. I know a taxi driver who only has 1 arm and he works full time. I also know someone who has lost the use of their legs and he works full time in an office, too.

Most of us who work or who have worked will know the number of disabled people who hold down a job, even with severe disabilities. Disabled people who don't work seem unaware of this fact and assume that disability equals a life on benefits.
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    So Incapacity up 1% (if at all)
    ESA up 1%
    IS (claimed for illness) up 1%

Incapacity Benefit will rise by 2.2% also the Support Group component of ESA will rise by 2.2%.
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    Most of us who work or who have worked will know the number of disabled people who hold down a job, even with severe disabilities. Disabled people who don't work seem unaware of this fact and assume that disability equals a life on benefits.

And those who assume they have medical degrees don't realise that the test is based on whether it is reasonable to expect someone with disabilities to work.

As MTF said anyone can work disabled or not but whether it is reasonable to expect someone who is sick/disabled to work is what matters.
  • MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 3:44PM
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »
    And those who assume they have medical degrees don't realise that the test is based on whether it is reasonable to expect someone with disabilities to work.

As MTF said anyone can work disabled or not but whether it is reasonable to expect someone who is sick/disabled to work is what matters.

Those people who want to work, will work. Lots of disabled people choose to work.

Those who could work but would rather not do anything, won't work.

It's about choices: but work is the only way out of poverty.

TBH, I would be bored if I didn't work. I would just end up posting on the forums all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure