No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December

Options

Comments

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    asset2004 wrote: »
    Thank you Becky :D yes I did, went to the Canaries, very warm and had a lovely, relaxing time with my BF.
    Went back to work today :( same old rubbish from my line manager's line manager (been going on a few years, he is nothing but a bully, everyone can see it but no one will back me up. I keep reminding myself of karma ...one of these days)
    Anyway I digress, have been looking through gifts to give to BF's parents, his gran, sister and her husband have more or less everything bought last year in the sales, however I have no idea what to buy him :o and to further complicate matters it's his birthday a couple of days later. We both don't need anything, but don't want to buy something just for the sake of buying something. We had suggested another holiday in a couple of months but work is fairly busy for both of us, any ideas? :p

I am having this problem with MrM as well. It was his birthday last week and as a joint birthday/christmas present I bought him Muse tickets for next year but I want to have something for him to unwrap. He can't think of anything though - I've made usual suggestions ie book, CD but he can't think of anything he wants. Looks like he will be just unwrapping his Liz Earle body wash and that's it. x
    VALM - have a lovely time in York - it is years since I have been but used to love it there.

Have some more UUs to post so will be back later but am expecting friends anyytime soon - have resisted the LG on the Q - another £5 in my SPC :T

York was lovely thanks. Had a busy time visiting the Castle Museum, National Railway Museum, taking the Ghost Walk, riding the York Eye, eating at Jamie's Italian and getting heckled for crossing the line of protestors outside Starbucks.

I didn't see the LG TSV and am trying to be philosophical telling myself that they will show the kit time and time again when it is again on special offers (if it didn't sell out that is!). I've decided that I am going to follow your lead next year and put money away each time I UU products and forego a TSV.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    emsjune78 wrote: »
    Its nothing compared to what some people on here are going through but having a rotten time with OH and work at the moment. I don't know whether I'm overreacting so I'll see what everyone thinks if I may - we've been together two years, I have my own place and he lives at home with his Mum and Step-Dad (he is a bit younger than me) - he keeps talking about getting his own place, I don't see the point and the logical progression would be for him to move in with me or for us to buy somewhere else together - that was always the original plan when he had a better paid job (his words) which he's now had since April.....

Every time he mentions it it causes a row. We had an awful day yesterday as he mentioned he'd seen somewhere to rent?! I told him to go home as I just wanted some space but he wouldn't and we basically just sat there ignoring each other. He won't talk and doesn't understand why it upsets me - this has been coming to a head for a while but then today, as usual, he just acts like nothing's happened.... Thoughts please ladies!!! Am I being extremely unreasonable?? He's also very unaffectionate lately, not a good sign I guess...:( I feel better for having said all that, so thank you for listening and sorry for being off topic! I know you are a kindly lot :) As for work, that is just work and neither here nor there really, just weathering the storm!

Back on topic, I've a UU - L'Oreal Everpure Conditioner - this is the colour protect and volume version - WBA but I think I prefer the original sampled one - moisture I think? Progress is super slow this month, think it'll be the first month since I've done the challenge that my IN will outweigh the UU but I guess with Christmas that's allowed!

Sorry that you are having a difficult time, a couple of thoughts:-
    You say he is a little younger than you, perhaps he is not feeling ready for that degree of commitment either atm, or in the forseeable future or maybe he feels he needs a bit of independence before settling as a live in partner. Probably not helpful, but as someone who has a few (too many) years under my belt, I firmly believe that it is not good, particularly for a male, to go straight from living with parents into a live in relationship, I feel people should have a bit of growing up time first, especially as so many guys are so much less mature than their years in age. So many mothers do like to keep their sons "little boys" and dependent on them. Not being anti-man, just a lot of life experience.:(

Whatever you decide, you must do what you feel is best for you, take care of yourself.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • VALM
    Options
    asset2004 wrote: »
    I have an INs product to test for Boots so doesn't really count ;)
    Going through my stash today and sorting out presents and came across a Soap & Glory hand set duo bought last year, it comprises handwash and handcream.
    I have complained many times on here about the S&G hand cream going off - well this has as well :mad: and its not been used. I've other handcream that is much older and has ben open that does not go off. :( The smell is revolting so may have to TA which goes against all my MSE ideas

I had a bottle of Hand Food that went off as well and it smells really bad. Wonder if the old S&G hysteria is warming up ready for next week in other places than this thread??
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Back home after a few days staying Mum and supporting her and my dear sister-in-law.

Thank you all so very much for your good wishes, it was so comforting. My dear brother has had two lots of surgery, will face another op on Monday, and there is a second anuerism?sp that is being monitored, they have started to slowly bring him round from induced coma, but have a way to go yet. My OH has been marvellous taking SIL to hospital and being so supportive to her. Number 1 brother took her today and tells me that he is now more hopeful that R will live.

I think this might be my LBM, with all types of spending, as I want to channel any spare funds to providing some cooked meals and baked items to help feed his family while so much time will be spent at hospital (120 mile round trip), and then to help out financially a little if needed.

Once again many thanks, and I hope you are all having a good weekend.

It's good to hear from you maddiemay. Sending kind thoughts your way still. x
    Aw, Indiepanda, I'm sorry. But it takes a wise woman to know when to walk away.

2013 is a new year, fresh start. I truly don't believe there is only ONE person for each of us. The world is a huge place.

Be kind to yourself, you are a wise and brave woman.

I wish to echo wondercollie's message here to you too Indiepanda. It's reading posts like this that remind me that this thread is a special place to be. x
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • rogueylawyer
    rogueylawyer Posts: 626 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2012 at 9:46PM
    Options
    emsjune78 wrote: »
    Its nothing compared to what some people on here are going through but having a rotten time with OH and work at the moment. I don't know whether I'm overreacting so I'll see what everyone thinks if I may - we've been together two years, I have my own place and he lives at home with his Mum and Step-Dad (he is a bit younger than me) - he keeps talking about getting his own place, I don't see the point and the logical progression would be for him to move in with me or for us to buy somewhere else together - that was always the original plan when he had a better paid job (his words) which he's now had since April.....

Every time he mentions it it causes a row. We had an awful day yesterday as he mentioned he'd seen somewhere to rent?! I told him to go home as I just wanted some space but he wouldn't and we basically just sat there ignoring each other. He won't talk and doesn't understand why it upsets me - this has been coming to a head for a while but then today, as usual, he just acts like nothing's happened.... Thoughts please ladies!!! Am I being extremely unreasonable?? He's also very unaffectionate lately, not a good sign I guess...:( I feel better for having said all that, so thank you for listening and sorry for being off topic! I know you are a kindly lot :) As for work, that is just work and neither here nor there really, just weathering the storm!

Back on topic, I've a UU - L'Oreal Everpure Conditioner - this is the colour protect and volume version - WBA but I think I prefer the original sampled one - moisture I think? Progress is super slow this month, think it'll be the first month since I've done the challenge that my IN will outweigh the UU but I guess with Christmas that's allowed!

You say he's younger, how old is he?
    I know it's slightly controversial but I lived by myself for about 3 years. I went to school, uni, postgrad all living with family or shared houses. The time I spent in my own flat, with my own front door and ability to control how and when i saw people was brilliant I wasn't the happiest person, but I had something that was mine and that was important.

Having said that I also !!!!!ed and whined at my bf from the moment we got together that I wanted us to live together, and then to buy. I got what I wanted, but that says more about his patience than my persistence :rotfl:

One quick UU to report again: Natural collection blusher rosey cheeks
    This was ok but a bit too dark for me, more of a dark pinky red. The pan fell apart this morning and there was so little it wasn't worth putting back together. WNBA, it's too heavily pigmented and not natural enough. There's about a half dozen different blushers still in the stash so on to the next.
  • VALM
    Options
    I'm sending kind thoughts to Catriona too. xx
    in's - my elemis TSV has arrived so I have bulked up the stash with the following:
    pro radiance cream cleanser
    gentle rose exfoliator
    evening blooms dry body oil
    quiet mind bath elixir
    pro-collagen marine cream
    skin nourishing shower cream

I have to stop buying stuff or my stash will never go down!!!

happy pampering, xo

have you tried any of the products in the TSV yet? I already use the skincare but can't wait to try the Skin Nourishing shower cream though have a feeling I already have a small sized oneof these in my stash already. There really is no hope for me where shower gels are concerned.
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Had another email from Body Shop today, I think I get one a day now with various offers, I think they have totally gone overboard. The amount of offers coming in on email is staggering really and I imagine January will be the same and probably lots of GWP sets to resist aswell. I have £30 on my Debs Beauty card to spend and am saving that for next year and am hoping to get a good offer.

I was thinking this today as well. The emails are getting comical. "This is absolutely positively the final final final day!" .... Emma's order arrived today and she got a gift card inside which could be worth anything from £3.00 upwards. Told her to expect to receive £3.00 - cynical moi??

Have a TA to report and this highlights the dark side of this challenge for me. Remember I said that Emma gave me some products last week one of which was No 7 Protect and Perfect. I said to her that I may as well throw it away as it congests my skin but then the MSE angel said "give it a try Val the formula may have changed" - foolish just foolish. Guess who woke up on Friday morning with a very sore congested spot on the end of her nose? Yes, Rudolph is alive and well and living in Stockport! Funnily enough after stopping using it my skin has calmed down. Errm.

Have repainted my nails tonight and am wearing OPI Nein Nein OK Fine which is going gloopy already. Doesn't look a very neat job.

Can't remember who I was helping look for a dupe for the Boots nail colour but am admitting defeat as I can't find a piccy of it anywhere to start looking. Sorry. xx

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • indiepanda
    Options
    VALM wrote: »
    I wish to echo wondercollie's message here to you too Indiepanda. It's reading posts like this that remind me that this thread is a special place to be. x

Thanks, yes, the people here are simply lovely. I'm kind of glad I'm a complete wally with my money when it comes to beauty products so I had the chance to start to get to know you.

It's so different to so many internet forums where there are too many miserable trolls spreading gloom and malice.

x
  • rogueylawyer
    Options
    indiepanda wrote: »

It's so different to so many internet forums where there are too many miserable trolls spreading gloom and malice.

x

They're clearly only trolls because they haven't had enough pampering lately :p:rotfl:

Just had a lovely hot bath with a big mug of tea (to drink. Not bathe in. Although I suppose you could if you really liked tea) and one more UU to report:

Umberto Giannini incredible body volume conditioner for big hair mini

I am pretty sure this was actually Pantene ice shine I had decanted in to the small bottle but either way it was fine and is used up.

That is pretty much me done for the week I think - I have a couple of minis I pulled out of packing to use in the last few days before we move, but this weekend is going to be a manic flurry of vans, boxes, keys etc. Thereafter my online presence will be a bit erratic until internet gets put in in 4 or 6 weeks, but that will just give me more time for pampering I suppose!
  • CookieMonsta
    Options
    Oh pants! Just realised that I have another in.

IN - Liz Earle Nourishing Botanical Body Cream, 200ml
    Decluttering 2015: 2162/2015
  • Itzybitzy
    Options
    Sold

Stila Creme Bouquet Hair Refresher, 75g
    Rimmel Nail Varnish, Azure, 8ml
    Rimmel Nail Varnish, Double Decker Red, 8ml
    OPI Nail LacQuer, Be A Dahlia Won't You, 15ml
    Smooch Nail Varnish Juicy, 15ml
    Leighton Denny Nail Varnish, Sex Kitten, 12ml
    Collection 2000 Nail Varnish, Bongo Beat, 8ml
    Elf Nail Varnish, Punk Purple, 6ml
    Total debts = [STRIKE]£3116[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]2216[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£2066[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1916[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1766[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1616[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1466[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1316[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1166[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1016[/STRIKE]£866
    DMP £150 each month
    Total paid off so far £2150 :D
    Debt Free by Jan 2013
  • wondercollie
    Options
    After a lifetime of never getting freebies to test out I got two boxes this week.

On Facebook, Revlon Canada had a give a way/test thing. So today arrived a ColourStay Ultimate Sued lipstick in 035 Backstage, a lovely wine colour, a nailfile, a photoready eye pallette in "metropolitan" brownish colours but looks sparkly and has a primer, and two Nail Art sticks. Each has two bottle of polish one set is purple and gold and the other is purple and a clear sparkle "moon candy".

Then a testing company called Bzzz Agent sent me a load of Burt's Bees moisturinzing products to try. They are horrible. Haven't seen them in the stores yet but the cleanser leaves a scum on the sink requiring you to clean the sink every time and the nightcreme is not creamy. It looks like white shoepolish and is waxy to touch (not sure if this is due to freezing solid and defrosting once I took it in from the mailbox). I've got ten samples of the nightcream to hand out, so I'll leave them at work in a basket marked "try me". I can honestly say I wouldn't pay for this and it's supposed to be sage that is the active ingredients but it smells citrusy to me.

I guess I'm not their dream tester.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport