Saving to move out - my savings diary

Options

Comments

• wannaberichbtch
    Options
    Brilliant news! It's good you are taking your time, and the extra savings will increase your options, well done :j
  • tinkerbel
    tinkerbel Posts: 1,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just read the whole thread and am subscribing :) you sound so motivated and I'm amazed at how quickly you have met your target! well done on passing the exams you passed and for getting your promotion and pay rise!!

Will the £20k new target be all deposit or will it be the original £15k deposit and £5k fees and furniture etc? You can definitely do it and I look forward to reading about it! I'm trying to save for a deposit too but I'm not as focused as you and I need to sort all of my accounts out so that i can see how much my balance is actually going up (or down eek!)
  • mandatory
    Options
    tinkerbel wrote: »
    Just read the whole thread and am subscribing :) you sound so motivated and I'm amazed at how quickly you have met your target! well done on passing the exams you passed and for getting your promotion and pay rise!!

Will the £20k new target be all deposit or will it be the original £15k deposit and £5k fees and furniture etc? You can definitely do it and I look forward to reading about it! I'm trying to save for a deposit too but I'm not as focused as you and I need to sort all of my accounts out so that i can see how much my balance is actually going up (or down eek!)

Thank you! Hopefully the £20k will be all deposit, and I'm trying to estimate how much to spend on furniture. It will just be me moving so I don't need too much. £5k for fees and furniture seems achievable though! I think £20k total will be achievable before I move, and then anything extra will be additional deposit/savings. If I moved now I'd have nothing for fees and furniture so the savings pot must grow, but I'm happy I reached target. Now I get to think about lovely furniture... last month I was walking around House of Fraser with my mom and the prices of mattresses sent me into shock! I think Ikea will be more up my street. :rotfl:

Speaking of exams, I have my final exam before I qualify on Tuesday. :D Hoping that I will pass and will never have to do another! (Until I find something new... which I probably will, eek!)
  • Zver
    Zver Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Good work mandatory,

Small but well thought out steps very quickly add up over time to get you to your goals. Batch cooking is a massive time, cost and energy saver!
  • mandatory
    mandatory Posts: 243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been a bit busy this past month so a late update. :o

Good news - I'm now a qualified chartered management accountant! :beer: No more exams feels really nice! There's no mention of a pay rise yet but my boss has said that I need to be paid more, just not sure of how much... maybe I'll try and have a word with him soon.

Last night I decided to have an overhaul of my finances. I filled out a transfer form for my old ISA (rate has dropped, transferring to Santander), applied for a new ISA for this year (Nationwide), and I'm switching my current account to Nationwide too (for the 5% interest). Phew! Might as well do it now while I'm feeling this motivated. :rotfl:I'm also at 84% of my new target (should be , but I think in all likelihood I'll be raising it higher to cover fees and furniture. There's so much building activity in the area I'm looking at that it's getting me all fired up... hoping that this year is the one I move in. :)

Have a great Easter everyone!
  • wannaberichbtch
    Options
    More good news Mandatory, you go from strength to strength. I'm also on the annual money go round, the new TSB account seems good, you can have 2 and may suit, loads of info on the banking board if you are interested.
  • mandatory
    Options
    More good news Mandatory, you go from strength to strength. I'm also on the annual money go round, the new TSB account seems good, you can have 2 and may suit, loads of info on the banking board if you are interested.

Thanks for the tip! I never thought about having two accounts. At the moment everything is in one place (Nationwide, except for the transferred ISA) so I'll look into it. I'm quite in control of my finances so it shouldn't be too much trouble, plus an extra little bonus is nothing to be sniffed at. :)
  • plittlefield
    Options
    mandatory wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I've read a lot of savings diaries over the last week or so and it's really made me want to write my own... so here I am!

Hello!

I am starting a major saving plan and am trying a strategy of "cash only".

I have managed to survive my first week on £20 cash for food and necessities... helped greatly by a LIDL supermarket about 1 minute walk away :-)

I have a long list of things which I am doing to save and make money, but I won't bore you with that right now.

Next week, I will be trying not to use my credit card to pay for diesel.

I will give you the long list another day, but just wanted to say something today.

Have a good day.

Regards

Paully
  • Thrifty_Fashionista
    Options
    cash is definately the way to go. I find if I have cash in my purse, I'm loathed to spend it! But a card I'll whip out constantly!

TF x

:oTotal Debt: L1 £4866, L2 £1050, CC £0 Original Debt £29 k :o
    £5 a day July challenge Member # £9.40 / £70
    (£5 a day challenge since Nov = £1472.34)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member # 2101
    Debt Free Wannabe Nov 2014 Member # 128 £5613 / £10 000
  • mandatory
    Options
    Sorry for the huge delay in updating, but life has really been turned upside down.

My nan, who I live with, has been diagnosed with terminal oesophageal cancer and as a result I have to move out sooner than I planned due to the prognosis not being good (doctors say six to nine months). My family all agree that if I stayed I would never leave and be stuck with my grandad (who can take care of himself if he had to) and my nan wants me to be happy and follow my dreams, so flat hunting it is. Before the diagnosis I booked a two and a half week holiday to Japan in September, so that has taken a chunk out of my deposit but hey, I've been waiting years to go! I viewed a flat yesterday that I liked - ground floor, city centre, close to work and two bedrooms - and I have a mortgage appointment on Saturday. Although I should be happy that I'm getting around to moving I feel that I could be doing this under better circumstances. :(

In other news I am getting a payrise but need a letter from my boss so I can take it to the bank. Wish me luck! And happy saving, everyone. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure