Saving to move out - my savings diary

Options

Comments

• mandatory
    mandatory Posts: 243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks hannerrbabes! :) I'm still saving regularly, although not as much as I could. I have to realise that I'm still young and should have fun, so I've been going out with friends and I also went to Download festival which was an experience (although expensive!). It's nice to watch the savings grow though. :D
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what a cute thread, earnest posts and reflections; i liked it very much
  • mandatory
    mandatory Posts: 243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you meher, your comment made me smile! :)

There may be a change of plan in upcoming months as I have spotted a new development near where I work that should be within my price range. It does mean going down the Help to Buy route and I have been doing my research into it. Building has started and I am keeping my eye out for when sales begin. I'd love to move there as it's within walking distance of everywhere I need and the first phase looked great. ;)

Payday this week and I've managed to send £700 to savings due to my holiday and paying for my next language course - next payday I shall be able to save a bit more as I have no plans apart from studying until November! My Post Office esaver rate drops in two days so I'll need to move some money around at some point.

Things could get exciting before Christmas, fingers crossed!
  • mandatory
    Options
    I have broken the £10k mark! :j

£800 this month, September turned out to be quite sociable, plus I paid for my course, treated myself to a craft workshop (November) and of course went on holiday. Still, not too bad!

Other nice news, my payrise for October has been confirmed! It should equate to around £140-ish extra per month... more to save. ;)
  • Trixsie1989
    Options
    It's so encouraging reading this, I'm trying desperately to save so we can move out in January. So far we have 1k in savings and I'm aiming to put at least 600 a month away until jan with my oh putting 200 (he pays our rent!) I start in a new position at work tomorrow but not sure if I get a pay rise yet or after 3 months, hopefully il get it soon so I can add more to savings. Had to dip into them this month to pay for a few things but I can easily put it back over the next few months to get it back to where it should be :-) good luck with your house move xxx
    Debt free finally :j
    First house purchase ... 2018 :j
  • I am a long way off saving yet - determined to clear my massive debts, and then hopefully will be able to start saving for a place.

Your diaries are so inspiring!

Thank you!

TF x

:oTotal Debt: L1 £4866, L2 £1050, CC £0 Original Debt £29 k :o
    £5 a day July challenge Member # £9.40 / £70
    (£5 a day challenge since Nov = £1472.34)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member # 2101
    Debt Free Wannabe Nov 2014 Member # 128 £5613 / £10 000
  • mandatory
    Options
    Thanks Trixsie and TF! It's always hard in the beginning but trust me, the feeling is so nice when your numbers grow and you get closer to target! I'm so excited, I'm approximately 70% of the way to my original target (although I may need less, I have enough for the Help to Buy scheme but the flats aren't built yet) and now my aunt has joined me in the excitement by asking me when I can reserve one. The dream is almost a reality and it's not helped by my constant browsing of furniture websites and looking at electrical goods reviews on Amazon. :o

It's okay to dip into your savings every now and then (if you're able to) - I've had to mostly as a result of saving too much in a month but also for unexpected expenditure. Just be sure to save extra in future to make up for it! ;) I've yet to save anything for Christmas but I'm hoping it will be a scaled back Christmas. I've asked family in advance for ideas so I can start shopping around and I'm doing more surveys to earn vouchers, and I think I'll put £50-£75 aside over the next three paydays to cover it if I'm careful. :)
  • Thrifty_Fashionista
    Options
    Good on you mandatory and trixsie1989.

Everybody I have spoke to lately is broke! Just that time of year. Post hol, school term re start (uniforms, etc) and friends are all in the same boat as me so do not feel as awful as I did earlier in the year. Finding this site has also helped me so much, as I realised they are so many of us in debt / saving for the dream.

Enjoy your weekend everyone (I know I will, as off work until Monday on annual leave)

TF x

:oTotal Debt: L1 £4866, L2 £1050, CC £0 Original Debt £29 k :o
    £5 a day July challenge Member # £9.40 / £70
    (£5 a day challenge since Nov = £1472.34)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member # 2101
    Debt Free Wannabe Nov 2014 Member # 128 £5613 / £10 000
  • wannaberichbtch
    Options
    Well done Mandatory, 5 figures is a milestone really pleased for you, just shows what you can achieve in a short time with determination.
  • mandatory
    Options
    It appears that I did not press 'submit reply' when I wrote out a reply on Friday. :o

This month my payrise and a small bonus kicked in, so I'm able to save £1,100! This is a bit extreme as it leaves me little to freely spend but I have exams in a month so I shouldn't be going out and spending money anyway. If the money's not there I can't go out! The family have given me their Christmas requests - little sister #2 is sorted with a Boots gift, Mom is a voucher, socks for her BF and I'm assembling a little hamper for little sister #1. Hoping to get all those by the end of November! Language course also fully paid, now I'm just sitting and waiting for exams... oh, and studying of course. Bah!

I also did some rounding up (saved an additional £15.78) and moving around this month - moved £100 into Premium Bonds just for a chance of winning (I know it's not likely but no harm in parking something there) and when my regular saver with West Brom finishes in November I'll move it back into my ISA. No news on the apartment front, it doesn't look as if they've started building them! Oh well, more time to save up and possibly look somewhere else. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure