Saving to move out - my savings diary

Options

Comments

• hannerrbabes
    Options
    It's really inspiring to see how much you've saved in just a year!
    Do you pay any rent or other living costs to your grandparents?
    Well done, you're an inspiration!

And yes, you deserve that 3DS XL! I want one just for the Super Mario games :P :D
  • mandatory
    Options
    It's really inspiring to see how much you've saved in just a year!
    Do you pay any rent or other living costs to your grandparents?
    Well done, you're an inspiration!

And yes, you deserve that 3DS XL! I want one just for the Super Mario games :P :D

Thank you! :o I pay my grandparents rent, and although I had a payrise this year they kept it the same so I could put more into my savings (maybe they want me to move out quicker?! :D). I didn't manage to save this much in just a year, I wish! I think I've managed around £600 a month average this year, I now try and put most of it away.

The Mario games are definitely on my wish list! I'm going to try one next week since there's an offer from Nintendo if you register your 3DS after the 27th you can download a Mario game. Just need to remember to wait! My exams are over now (this morning was terrible, had nightmares about it) so I have so much time! First thing I did when I got home was move all of my books and folders away and open the 3DS box. :T
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    It might be a bit Churlish, but:

All this money saving is great, but you need to work on income.

Perhaps balance the save money mentality with more of a make money mentallity.

I'm asking why a 25 year old graduate, with accountancy qualifications, is only earning £15K. Yes you have a carrot dangling 6 months away, but, I can't believe that in the West Midlands that this is not in the lower quartile for this type of work.
  • hannerrbabes
    Options
    mandatory wrote: »
    Thank you! :o I pay my grandparents rent, and although I had a payrise this year they kept it the same so I could put more into my savings (maybe they want me to move out quicker?! :D). I didn't manage to save this much in just a year, I wish! I think I've managed around £600 a month average this year, I now try and put most of it away.

The Mario games are definitely on my wish list! I'm going to try one next week since there's an offer from Nintendo if you register your 3DS after the 27th you can download a Mario game. Just need to remember to wait! My exams are over now (this morning was terrible, had nightmares about it) so I have so much time! First thing I did when I got home was move all of my books and folders away and open the 3DS box. :T

That's sweet of them!
    I had nightmares during my a level exams. But luckily my current course is mainly coursework now.
    Brilliant, you'll love them. There's even Super Luigi Bros now! I know if I bought a ds I know I'd never get anything else done lol.
  • mandatory
    Options
    It might be a bit Churlish, but:

All this money saving is great, but you need to work on income.

Perhaps balance the save money mentality with more of a make money mentallity.

I'm asking why a 25 year old graduate, with accountancy qualifications, is only earning £15K. Yes you have a carrot dangling 6 months away, but, I can't believe that in the West Midlands that this is not in the lower quartile for this type of work.

I'm not sure which date you read but I had my payrise in April this year. Thankfully I'm no longer on £15k (yes, it was very sad to know that I was on so little considering my qualifications but at the time I was grateful to have a job), and I'm now past my probation period and on £25k. Once I qualify I might press for a payrise since I'll have the experience and fully qualified credentials, only problem is that I work for a charity and it's not easy to just ask for one where I work.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    mandatory wrote: »
    I'm not sure which date you read but I had my payrise in April this year. Thankfully I'm no longer on £15k (yes, it was very sad to know that I was on so little considering my qualifications but at the time I was grateful to have a job), and I'm now past my probation period and on £25k. Once I qualify I might press for a payrise since I'll have the experience and fully qualified credentials, only problem is that I work for a charity and it's not easy to just ask for one where I work.

Whoops. I read your first post, and not the following 4 pages.

Good times then !!!

Having said that, don't let the fact that you work for a charity, stop you from being paid the going rate. YOU are not a charity.
  • mandatory
    Options
    Whoops. I read your first post, and not the following 4 pages.

Good times then !!!

Having said that, don't let the fact that you work for a charity, stop you from being paid the going rate. YOU are not a charity.

I think I needed to hear that, thank you! I know a job is a job but if I've been working hard outside of work studying to become something my boss wants then I deserve something for it. That's what I tell myself anyway, actually getting it is another matter. I'll keep all of this in mind when I qualify. ;)
  • mandatory
    mandatory Posts: 243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Slight change of plan! :)

I realised that having a deadline in place to move, mainly for my sister's convenience, was no good. I'm now in a position to wait a little longer before moving... which means more saving. There's no point in me rushing to move somewhere and not be happy where I am, so I will just keep saving until I find somewhere that's suitable for me. My sister has now applied for campus accommodation for next year and luckily is in the same flat as her best friend, so that softened the blow! She was looking forward to it and so was I, but at the end of the day I'll be the one with the mortgage.

£900 was saved in December, hoping for £1,000 in January if I aim to have a lean month! I didn't really spend much on myself in December so I may treat myself this month... I didn't go to the sales and there are some books and games I've wanted to get for a while. :)
  • mandatory
    Options
    Some good news... my deposit target has been reached! This means that, as I am now planning to move later than anticipated (autumn at the earliest), I can increase my target. I'm thinking £20k since that should be quite achievable before summer and then I can start hunting. (£25k would be great but a bit of a stretch.)

Speaking of hunting, work has finally begun at the development I had my eye on. When it's close to completion I'll have a look at both new and pre-owned since now I want to steer clear of the Help to Buy scheme after reading a lot of the small print. Things are getting exciting - I could be moved out by this time next year! :beer: In the meantime I must stop browsing Rightmove... getting too many ideas in my head.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well Done on achieving your target!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills