Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Comments

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Any pudding you would traditionally steam can be cooked in a slow cooker. Fab for cooking/reheating your Christmas pudding when you have no room on the hob. I cook my Christmas pudding overnight. 1 1/2 pts of water lasts 8 hours with no boiling over or need to top up. I used to hate the day I couldn't go out cos the pudding was on and needed watching.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Rach, I've found one for you.

Crockpot apple pie

8 Tart Apples peeled and sliced (try Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples)
    1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    3/4 cup milk
    2 tablespoons butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1-1/2 cup Bisquick, divided
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    3 tablespoons butter, cold
    Toss apples in large bowl with cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Place apple mixture in lightly greased slow cooker. Combine milk, softened butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of the Bisquick. Spoon over apples.
    Combine the remaining Bisquick with the brown sugar. Cut cold butter into Bisquick mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle this mixture over top of apple mixture.
    Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours or until apples are soft.
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    yum yum....funnily enough someone gave me a large bag of windfall apples today! :)

the casserole was gorgeous by the way - added some carrots & leeks that i had in the fridge too. thanks. :)
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Rice pudding would be nice in a slow cooker

and I would imagine bread and butter pudding would also be lovely

you can change the sultanas for dried apricots for a change
  • Thanks Mimijane

Tried the Thai chicken curry tonight.

It was really nice ;D and so easy!

added a small natural yogurt and had it with uncle bens express vegetable pilau rice...yum
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm getting slow cooker envy now.... that nice hig silver one does look lovely! ;D
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,857
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    Thanks for the feedback glad and aussielle , I like the look of the Morphy Richards very much and it's a good price. Also it having a dishwasher proof removable crockpot is definitely a plus point  8)

I'm going to order it when I get back from my hols  :)
    don't forget greasypalm to order from Amazon ;D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,962
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks Mimijane

Tried the Thai chicken curry tonight.

It was really nice  ;D and so easy!

added a small natural yogurt and had it with uncle bens express vegetable pilau rice...yum

Glad you enjoyed it ... very quick, filling and always goes down a treat!

:-*
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • Not an every day recipe, but I cooked my Christmas puds in the slow cooker last year, and they were great - and no worrying about pressure cookers.

M.
    :D £2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - £800 :D

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin :D
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,857
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    Christmas Pudding

Make pudding to your usual recipe and place in pudding bowl, put the pudding in the slow cooker, pour in boiling water, to about 2/3 up the side of the basin and then cover and leave. It will not boil dry or spoil. If bowl is slightly too tall for the lid on cooker to fit properly, cover the top of the cooker and the pudding with a sheet of foil and tuck it under the rim, then put the lid on top to weight it down. A 2 pint/1 litre pudding takes about 13 hours to cook on 'high'. Smaller ones would need to have less time.
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure