Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Comments

• rach
    rach Posts: 5,476
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I did that the other day with potatoes.  ::)

Didn't stress trying to clean it, just put some washing powder & water in it, left it over night and it just wiped off.  8)

I 'm sure I've read on here that someone else does that aswell

yes that's my plan....i only have liquid stuff at the moment though so need to go and buy some cheapo bio powder tomorrow. ::)
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    what is bisquick.  ???

It's a light ready mixed 'dough' powder. It's American, you can use it for scones, pastry, cakes etc. One of our local shops must have bought a job lot and were selling it outrageously cheap a few months back.

An American relative used to make banana bread with this and also used it to top her savoury pies.
  • Chris25
    Forumite
    I did that the other day with potatoes.  ::)

Didn't stress trying to clean it, just put some washing powder & water in it, left it over night and it just wiped off.  8)

I 'm sure I've read on here that someone else does that aswell

I usually do this, although please understand that I'm so well organised that it's not often i burn things! ;) .........but it didn't work on my Le Creuset casserole dish - but a dishwasher machine tablet did.
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another one Im trying tomorrow although it involves a bit of cooking first:

Cheesey Layer Bake

Melt 50g butter in a pan, add 50g flour and stir with a wire whisk. Add 550ml milk gradually, stirring it in. Increase heat until bubbling and add 100g grated cheddar cheese and a little salt and pepper. Add 1/2 tsp made mustard. Butter your slo cooking pot.

Melt 2oz butter in another pan and saute 2lb potatoes, thinly sliced, and an onion sliced. In your slo cooker arrange alternate layers of potato, onion, 2 leeks sliced and another 2oz grated cheese. Season each layer with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over all of this and cook for 5-6 hours.

PS. Can anyone tell me what Made Mustard is? :-[
  • Chris25
    Forumite
    Mustard from a jar - not powder.
    Let us know how you get on, sounds tasty
  • beachbeth
    Forumite
    Thanks, Chris. Will let you know tomorrow!
  • beachbeth
    Forumite
    Well the cheesey recipe took ages to prepare what with making the sauce and sauteing the potatoes and onions but once done this afternoon it smelled lovely and was very tasty! I think you need something else with it though, such as sausage (or steak!).

Very nice if you can be bothered with the cooking before you put it in the slo cooker.
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,554
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I used to have a slow cooker years ago but one of the kids took it over when they went to college and I never got it back. Reading all your lovely ideas has tempted me to but another one. Any recommendations??
  • Sheel

The one on Amazon is a 6.5 litre.

I haven't seen them in our Asda, but you could ring up and ask them to check how many litres the other two are.
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • Reading all of this has put me in the mood to try out mine again. It has had a very long sleep in the cupboard! Got it as an engagement pressie about 23 years ago, and was working last time I used it, which to my shame was at least 6 or more months ago. So keeping fingers crossed, it is still working, as the pot can be put on the hob to brown meat or whatever, prior to being used as a slow cooker. And, believe it or not, it has 5 temp settings. From what I can remember, the base which it sits on, can be used for making toasties - but never used it for that. Anyone else got something similar? Think it is a German make, but it is so old, the name has worn off, and I can't find the recipe booklet that came with it. ::)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure