MFW Diary - Take 1!

Options

Comments

• Calfuray
    Calfuray Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Busy past few days! Thought I'd finished my code yesterday, on testing, turns out it was broken :( Stayed at uni til 8 but couldn't fix it.

Maths tutoring today, and managed to find out what I did wrong, but didn't stay to fix it: slept badly last night, I was turning over the problem in my head and kept myself awake! Should hopefully be fixed tomorrow with a fresh mind now that I know exactly what the problem is.

On that note, off to bed! Brain fried.

Cal
    x
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 November 2013 at 12:04AM
    Options
    Yup, just silly chat Cal, don't worry about it ;)

Glad you know how to fix your code

web-developer-walrus-meme-generator-write-overly-complex-code-i-ll-comment-it-later-9b5453.jpg
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Yup, just silly chat Cal, don't worry about it ;)

Glad you know how to fix your code

web-developer-walrus-meme-generator-write-overly-complex-code-i-ll-comment-it-later-9b5453.jpg

Ahaha!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

In my sleep deprived state, I am finding this extremely amusing. I must save this image for later. Unfortunately - it's too true! :o

Anyway, I will make sure to read comments when not so tired! :j
  • edinburgher
    Options
    TCB are offering £50 cashback for policies with British G@s Homecare (policies start at c. £9/mth and include an annual boiler service). Not sure about the excess (£99) and I can't comment on whether they're reliable or not...
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Thanks Ed :)
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Not been on a while, or even browsing!

Been really busy with uni work, to the point where most days have been over 11 hour days, and I'm hardly seeing my OH. Feeling a little stressed and under time pressure, and this was even with working ahead! So don't know how other students seem to be doing things last minute.

One project has been group work - never again. I've tried to be conscious to not step on other people's toes and do the work they are assigned to do, but what am I meant to do when the work they hand in is substandard? If I wouldn't personally hand it in myself, I can't let it be put in the group project... 3 members seem to be laid back and quite happy for me to help and bring the general standard up (if I'm not being too big headed), but one member is clashing with me at every turn.

To the point of, yesterday, nobody turning up, and me completing the bulk of an 15 page document by myself. By the bulk, I mean approx 90%. I have done everything like insert page breaks, paragraphing, figures, labels, heading styles etc, where the last thing that needs to be done is one part slotted in (half a page), and an overall style applied (5 minutes work). Now this other member is like "I'll do that". Eh, naw. Might be being petty, but you've not done anything and now you want to take the only bit I enjoy, seeing my work get prettified? Tearing hair out.

Hoping to have an early night and chill cause not a happy bunny right now.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Poor Cal - hang in there!

One of the worst things about group working is that it doesn't get any better :D

Granted, if you're surrounded by a good bunch that you can get on with (and respect), it can work out well. Most times, however, you're left babysitting the ones who just don't get it or making up for the ones who can't be *****

I have to say my worst experience of group working was actually on a postgrad course, the garbage some people thought was passable work :rotfl:

Hot bath and an early night might help :)
  • HelenDaveKids
    Options
    Bless you Cal, it is frustrating when you feel like your the only one hard at it, I used to work for a small team and it drove me bonkers, I refused to drop my work ethic though and I'm sure they were better thought of.
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS Posts: 7,833 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 22 November 2013 at 10:58PM
    Options
    Hi Cal, I have loads of thoughts in my head for how to handle these guys but brain too tired to form sentences tonight. Not sure whether this will help - but its likely to be true :)

You must be like a shining light of intelligence, ability and right attitude which the others are struggling with. Focus on the fact it's a project with an end date and you are streets ahead of them all, on numerous levels.

I can pretty much guarantee that those in the know, will see where the strength, determination and knowledge really lies.

There are always people wanting to take credit for other people's efforts, or doing the bear minimum and implying they did tons - inside though, they really do know how limited they are.

Sleep well this weekend and hope you get some downtime with OH.

Best wishes Tilly x x

We need GG to pop by with her penguin pic - never fails to lighten my mood.
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

We need GG to pop by with her penguin pic - never fails to lighten my mood.

Fine. You lot feel fed up and I get called on to cheer you up. I get seriously disfigured and you all line up to laugh at me super-sad.gif.

evil-penguin-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure