MSE News: Ryanair forces ALL customers to pay booking charge

Options

Comments

• MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Every single fee is listed in one page on the ryanair website - accessible from the very top of the home page.

Every single step of the booking process warns you - in red writing so it stands out - that you may be charged a £6 admin fee.

Ryanair have been forced over time to do this though, haven't they? (https://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/04/ryanair-online-transaction-charges) It used to be just a card charge added on at the end which wasn't mentioned earlier in the process. Taking your arguments on this thread I presume you would disagree with Ryanair being forced to be upfront about the £6 charge and think they have a right to hide it until the end?
    I don't think they're "right" either, that has nothing to do with it. Ryanair are a PRIVATE company and no-one has ANY obligation to use them. As far as I'm concerned, they could charge a £10 oxygen fee for all I care.

All I want to pay for when I fly is the flight, with all compulsory charges built into the headline price. I do not want to know about admin charge, EU levies, online check-in fees, or the Eco-Looney tax as they call it (yes, they really do: https://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-to-introduce-0-25-euro-ets-levy-to-cover-new-eu-eco-looney-tax).
  • Oliver_Zarmy
    Options
    no-one books a one-way flight travelling alone.[/QUOTE]

How did you find that out?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think Tobias was (tongue-in-cheek) attributing that belief to easyJet.
  • UsetheFORCE
    Options
    I hope soon that they get rid of 'FREE' banking, this would increase transparency and ensure that everyone now pays for the service instead of expecting a certain percentage of customers to pay the costs of the majority!!!
    I have numerous qualifications in Business and Finance, Accountancy, Health and Safety and am now studying Law.

Don't rely on anything I write as it may be wrong!!!
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    It's irrelevant that every fee is listed, because the £6 admin fee exists purely to legitimise a misleading indication of price. It is its purpose which is dishonest rather than the way it is displayed.

You just love going in circles don't you... Bleat on about "dishonesty" all you like but here are the indisputable facts:

1. The charge is (currently) avoidable.
    2. You are told on every single booking screen that an admin fee may be added, and are provided with a link to find out what that is.

If you're just going to ignore that yet again and reply with the same old "but people can't be bothered to read a few words, so their laziness should be rewarded with a law forcing private companies to nanny them" then please just do not bother. I will not read it...
    Ryanair have been forced over time to do this though, haven't they? (https://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/04/ryanair-online-transaction-charges) It used to be just a card charge added on at the end which wasn't mentioned earlier in the process. Taking your arguments on this thread I presume you would disagree with Ryanair being forced to be upfront about the £6 charge and think they have a right to hide it until the end?

All I want to pay for when I fly is the flight, with all compulsory charges built into the headline price. I do not want to know about admin charge, EU levies, online check-in fees, or the Eco-Looney tax as they call it (yes, they really do: https://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-to-introduce-0-25-euro-ets-levy-to-cover-new-eu-eco-looney-tax).

Taking my arguments? Give me a single quote of a single argument I've made where I have stated Ryanair should be able to hide admin fees. I bet you can't...

For the ten millionth time, you are told at EVERY STEP of the booking process about the existence of an admin fee (and whether they've been forced to show it or not is irrelevant, they DO show it - I'm not arguing that Ryanair is a bastion of morals, I'm discussing the booking system as it currently exists). If you choose to ignore that then I really couldn't care less that you had 5 minutes of your time wasted.

I also couldn't care less what you want to pay for. I want to pay 1p for flights, doesn't mean I'm gonna get it. If you find the prospect of your fare being broken down into random charges that horrifying, then DON'T FLY RYANAIR. I don't like the prices in Waitrose - guess what I do...
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    May I bring to people's attention that easyjet's headline prices include only a fraction of the £9 admin fee on the basis that no-one books a one-way flight travelling alone.

That's interesting. My trips on easyjet have mostly been only one way and only alone. Should I have a chaperone?
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You just love going in circles don't you... Bleat on about "dishonesty" all you like but here are the indisputable facts:

1. The charge is (currently) avoidable.
    2. You are told on every single booking screen that an admin fee may be added, and are provided with a link to find out what that is.
    It is not easily avoidable, because Ryanair's intention is that the majority of passengers pay it. I have already addressed your point 2 above. Why do you ignore the underhand purpose of the admin fee? You seem intent on defending Ryanair, even when I and others have demonstrated their unfair commercial practices.
  • mikeeboy
    mikeeboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know why so many people get so emotional about the admin charge.

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence will just get to the bottom line price when comparing flights with different airlines and in many cases Ryanair will be cheaper despite the inclusion of the "admin fee".

The only losers in this are the people with the cash passport who will be saying "Cheers guys, thanks to all your whinging I now have to pay more for my flights"

Ryanair won't care, they'll still get you on their planes and they'll carry on making money.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    Taking my arguments? Give me a single quote of a single argument I've made where I have stated Ryanair should be able to hide admin fees. I bet you can't...

Well as you wrote...
    wrote:
    Ryanair are a PRIVATE company and no-one has ANY obligation to use them. As far as I'm concerned, they could charge a £10 oxygen fee for all I care.

...and...
    wrote:
    If you're just going to ignore that yet again and reply with the same old "but people can't be bothered to read a few words, so their laziness should be rewarded with a law forcing private companies to nanny them" then please just do not bother. I will not read it...

...I took it to mean that you believe private companies should be free to do what they want on the basis customers can choose other airlines. Surely it therefore follows that a hidden admin/card charge should be allowed in your view?

Can you state whether or not you agree the OFT was right to take action on numerous occasions to get to the point we are at now where the admin charge is made relatively clear?
  • Dave_save
    Options
    I hope soon that they get rid of 'FREE' banking, this would increase transparency and ensure that everyone now pays for the service instead of expecting a certain percentage of customers to pay the costs of the majority!!!

Using analogies like banking and supermarkets vs airlines to make a point, merely demonstrates how weak your point is.

The purpose of the OFT ruling was to ensure that 'fees' for administering the payment for a flight, was actually included in the HEADLINE price, upfront and clear. If there is anything in the banking system similar to this or indeed within the supermarket world, feel free to report it.

Some people on here are sure that it's currently clear to consumers how to avoid paying the fee. The OFT disagreed! To remove any doubt, the OFT have ruled that 'fees' have to be incuded in the HEADLINE price.

Now, that's nice and simple, is everyone happy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure