PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone

Not been around for a bit as I was spending far too much time on here and the house was suffering. Now the house looks a tad better, not perfect but certainly you can walk across the floors now. Well, most of them.
    I've only read the last couple of pages. My heart quailed at trying to catch up and I was in no mood for War and Paracetemol so I feel really out of touch.

Elizabunny & Silvasava: I'm on the 5:2 as well. I've found it easier than I thought. I've persuaded the Rev to join me so I have 2 days a week when I don't have to think about cooking. So far lost 5lbs in 3 weeks - better than I've done on any other diet. My body LOVES its fat cells and clings on to them like grim death. Only another four and a half stones to go!

Fuddle: my family all loved yorkshires and I found that whatever cheap meal I gave them, the addition of a yorkshire and maybe a roastie or two from the freezer turned it into a feast. Also, if you are doing mince, instead of topping with potato for cottage pie, try topping with dumplings or scones for a sort of cobbler. It does stop the cries of "Not that again."

meme: I remember in the bad winter of 62/63 a certain gentleman sometimes gave me a lift to school, I was teaching about 12 miles from where I lived and managed to get there every day. Anyway, we met a situation just as you described only we met a coal lorry nose to nose.. He waited. We waited. He waved us back. We waved him back. We both waited again. Finally my gentleman switched the engine off, lit his pipe and took out his newspaper. The coal lorry backed. As we passed, the lorry driver expressed his displeasure. We sailed on completely ignoring him,

The Rev is away for a few days so I'm off to dine on a stir fry of whatever is sitting in the fridge.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »
    Does anyone have an electric steamer? I was lucky enough to get a small one from the CS for £8, and have used it, it's very quick...just wondered two things, the cost of using it and what other things I can steam beside the obvious.

I do and guess what...I lost the instructions...but I remember it said you can do fish, vegetables but I doubt it costs a lot to run, I have a normal steamer, a pressure cooker that works in a microwave and I can steam veg in a microwave using some bags I have...

I hope someone is able to help...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of days peace and quiet monnagran :) Ooops, not that The Rev is noisy but. Hmmm what am I trying to say? Just as well you know me ;) Cheese scones frighten me. They're known as rock buns in this house. My Bero book serves me well but not for cheese scones :( I do love a good cobbler though. Hey, you lost another lb in a couple of days! Every morning I wake up and think right 600 cals today and never stick at it past 10.30am. I know you've struggled with weight loss so I know if you say it's doable it must be. Must try harder!

You can steam fish in there Byatt. Apparently rice and boiled eggss but never tried it.

Enquired via email about another job in neighbouring town. That'll be 4 I have on the go. I have to be lucky sooner or later huh?
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I've steamed veg and fish, not tried eggs yet, but wondered if some puddings would be ok? :)

It's really useful, loving it. Saves on the hobs plus it's quick, shall be eating more veg now.

edit, there should be instructions online if Googled. That's where mine come from.

Monnagran, I must say if it's a lorry I do the reversing because I view it as less of a risk. Having said that most lorry drivers reverse for me as I'm pretty carp when under pressure, on one track roads and take forever. People might remember last year when I had that confrontation with a male driver at night. I wish I was better at it, as I'd just as soon reverse then hang about, although I'm really sorry Meme had that horrible experience, it shakes you up. :A
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 January 2013 at 7:32PM
    Options
    :) Nice to see you back, monnagran.

I was grinning to remember when I went out to fetch one of my cousins from her home in the village in the small car my folks owned (wee hatchback thingy).

Anyway, pulled down her lane and found a bliddy great lorry which delivered gas cylinders stuck across the gate onto her yard. We stopped nose to nose. We exhanged a Look and a few seconds later the truck reversed to let me into her gate.

Cousin was killing herself, said she'd never known the truck to back off for anyone before. ;) I used to drive delivery vans for a living and under the shell of this mild-mannered office worker lies tah dah White Van Woman.:rotfl:I've always wanted a go on one of those tank driving thingies but have never had money to burn on such delightful frivolities.

meme30, that geezer was an arris and good on ya for standing your ground. Not your fault if he couldn't find reverse, is it?

Persisting down here at the moment and the place is a muddle (cleaned yesterday but muddly) so will go on the Quest for the Floor. I guess it's down there somewhere or I'd be sitting on the mud but I'm blowed if I've seen it for a few hours.

Stay safe in the rough weather, one and all. Anyone with spare sweeties can mail them to our most deserving sweetie-lover, Mar. Things must be bad as she was asking for a rat on the other thread today. Not sure if she wanted to read the entrails for the future or it was a cookery experiment but I've offered to get her a squashed one off the road.

Mmmmmm, roadkill, no doubt Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall has a recipe.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    FUDDLE Love your post on HS2, you present the other side of the argument very eloquently and your pride of place in where you live and love of your county is showing through in every word. Thank you , Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I'm still just a kid Lyn, with little tiny people and have a lot to learn. I know I probably get most of you shaking your head at my child like, enthusiastic views and rose coloured ideas about issues but I can't help it. I can't get all negative about things like that. I am proud, however misguided and daft you think me to be :p
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hold your head up over that post little one, it was measured, factual and sensible and the other side of the story. Don't put doubt in your own head, I have a respect for the you that you are, my god kid, you are a spunky little tryer, and not in the least misguided or daft. If there were more people like you in this world it wouldn't be in the mess it currently is in. As for still being a kid, I'm not sure that I will ever be anything else, grown ups don't have any fun, stay as you are and be happy and enjoy life, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • nuttyp
    nuttyp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    Its blowing an absolute gale here and the rain is punding against the wondows. OH is getting the ark ready for us to sail away in!! lol

Fuddles, congratulation on getting your money back - well done.

Re reversing. Im carp at it. I try and reverse park but i just loose the car behind and get all panicy in case i hit them. So i just give up!! Today OH had words with a man in a very big posh car, he was parking in a lorry/van delivery bay because he wanted to go into the shop and buy a paper. Needless to say heated words were exchanged and the car was moved, as he was bout to be blocked in against a wall by big white van and a lorry. Oh well all sorted in the end, but he only had to park a few metres away and walk.

Best get the washing up done from tea, seems the fairys arent working tonight!
    :D:D BSC member 137 :D:D

BR 26/10/07 Discharged 09/05/08 !!!

Onwards and upwards - no looking back....
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh I've never known DH to get so excited about a few stir-fried veg and a bit of baked cod. He did peep into the HM cake tin and then shut the lid quickly. It's now water, water and more water for the rest of the evening, or if we are really lucky a milkless tea.

monnagran It certainly will be a bonus having DH join me in this venture as well, I don't think I could stand it if I had to do it all on my own and as you say, at least we get 2 days a week where nothing much has to be prepared. I'm always cooking, so it will be nice to have a valid excuse

Still, tomorrow is another day and I have plans to stretch our 1lb of whatever meat we have for 8 portions instead of four. I fetched a nice order from my butcher on Friday and I need to make it last as long as possible.

nuttyp It's blowing a gale here too. Not sure I'm too keen on high winds, the first winter after we married, we had very high winds, and I was lucky to miss a flying roof tile or two as I stepped outside the front door.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport