PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone

Welcome zoec - sorry to hear what you have been through. You have come to the right place, we will support you here and you can laugh and cry with us - on this thread at least "we are all in it together". Sending you as many hugs as you need. A brand new year will be here soon - we can put this one behind us and have hope for next year.

DH calling me to the dinner table (sausages mmmm) - will hopefully be back later...

sq:)
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well this is a record, I go out for the day usually and it takes me hours to catch up, yet today there is only a few posts. :)

Had a lovely day, would have been better if my parents hadnt come with us - they insist on helping me but I do find it easier alone most of the time, and I know they mean well but their "help" meant that DS14 spent most of the time in the car upset.
    Littlies loved the whole forest trip and Santa was very special, he asked what they wanted for Christmas and when DD6 asked for a hamster, he told her Santa cant do hamsters as they cant make the trip on the sleigh!

When we arrived home I took the kids back out alone this time and we wandered through the toy store, B&Q (wanted to check out the offers) and also visited the Range which I have not been in before. Came home and did some shopping at Ald! on the way home - all with no incident, good humour and enjoyment!
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2012 at 7:31PM
    Options
    Feeling a bit sad and lonely but have to believe this will pass as I have been quite positive of late. I must continue to be as good as I have been. They say the first year is the worst. I suppose I am remembering that nearly all the "Bad" things for Mum happened around this time of year.

2008 on this day Mum fell downstairs and crushed a vertebrae. And it was a very scary time. 2009 it was a hip replacement. 2011 Diagnosis of/treatment of rectum cancer. No wonder I feel as I do...

Well, back to my attempts to get the house sorted, it will help keep my mind busy. I only have approx 40 hours to get everything sorted. I think I can complete the little bit of painting and clear the rubbish in the outhouse by bedtime tonight. The kitchen might take an hour to tidy.

Then a quick vacuum and I can do no more. But I am reasonably prepared for the visit that the Landlord is supposed to be making here.

The one job that may not be completed is the rubbish I was going through on the landing so I may have to bag that up again and go through that later in the week but I have managed to fill four wheelie bins so far.

Tried to do a little shop and have some time out of the house, that was a struggle, I don't know how I made it back home, I am now having a lay down and plan to stay put for at least an hour.

I'll move it out of the house now and leave it in the passage so it near to the bins.

Also managed to get a load of washing done too.

I spent more than I planned to but have some nice things that will make a few meals/sandwiches. In reality I saved approx £8 even thoughI spent £11.

Eight chipolata sausages, jaffa cakes, eight limited edition yogurts, turkey and pork sausage, milk, four beef steak burgers with vintage cheddar cheese. One non food item of sewing needles.

When I have those beef burgers(and I thought long and hard before giving in)it will be the first time that I have eaten that kind of beef for almost thirty years. Unless, you include my recent eating of corned beef again.

I avoided it on health grounds. And still will have to be careful due to my kidney problems I eat smaller portions of meat anyhow.

But my reason for avoiding it was the stories of how some people lost their body and brain functions with mad cow disease but think that I may risk it now. They say if you eat protein the best choices are chicken and turkey or fish rather than red meat.

Right a cup of coffee, some warm clothes on and back to work...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    I blame Jamie Oliver and Jimmy Docherty :D

I settled down to watch food fight with DS3 last night and nearly bust a gut laughing it was soooo good we really enjoyed it but it wasn't until today I realised DS3 has learnt a new word...

We have spent a lovely day baking in the kitchen and he has done the xmas cake all by himself this year,we were pottering along well with him reading the instructions and adding the ingredients ok (mary berry's recipe) until he came upon treacle.

He reads fairly well but does substitute words (guesses) if he can't read it properly so when he came to treacle he substituted...........
    test icles :rotfl: :eek::o
    I nearly choked on my coffee and he didn't even realise why I was laughing so hard bless him..anyhoo made my day lol and wanted to give you all a giggle XXX
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2012 at 7:38PM
    Options
    I'll try and watch that later D&DD forgot about it...I did watch Nigel Slater(I like his approach to cooking)He has some programmes on over Christmas too...

Well done on your son making a Christmas cake. Even I haven't done that. Perhaps I'll buy a small one.

I have, all being well, two memorial carol services tomorrow and Tuesday. Hopefully I will get to the music club on Tuesday if I get back from the service in time and next Saturday hopefully a concert with Jez Lowe so that will keep me busy and not too self obsessed.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    zoe ((hugs)) you've got some really good advice off everyone here. My mother died of cancer back in 2008, she went into remisson and then it came back with avengence. Ignore your emplyered and try and enjoy christnas with your OH and little one. Your mother will be there atching over you all enjoying your little one smiling away. THe first year is the hardest but does get easier with time, remeber the good time you had together. If you ever want to chat anytime just pm anytime :)
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Kidcat - what a wonderful day out you all had. :)

i can't wait till next week when get our tree, saturday is the magic day:). Also plamnning on making a wreath that day at the local park and a family fun day at another one. Missed two parties today, i couldn't walk so we stayed om and watching films.

DS2 had a very upsetting day, he has no concept of sarcasm and is very literal in his undestandong. He cam in today with two of his friends asking for £3. I said him why and he said oh for my friends to buy drinks and sweets. Apparently they parents wouldn' tgive them any so they called for ds2 to ask me. So i gave them all drinks and a £1 to share.
    About five minutes i saw ds2 by himself with a carrier bag outside, i asked ds1 to go and see him. DS1 brought him back and said ds2's friends had left him in the shop y hiumself and left without telling him. I was fuming, this has happened in the past with one of the boys before and i had to have words with his parents. The boys would only play with ds2 if he gave them money. Told my OH when he came back from work, he was going to go round the lads house and war with them, so i calmed him down and said just leave it and next time they come round i'll send them away.

What a day, but at least cheered both them up with advent calenders and films.
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    D & DD - Thanks for the warning! Had to read your post out to DH (amidst much giggling) as he looked at me as if I was a loon when I suddenly started laughing hysterically at the computer.

Kidcat - glad you had such a lovely day.

Kezlou - Grrrr on your poor DS's behalf.
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kezlou - thats awful, DS14 has similar issues with other kids and always have, I have spent ages trying to work with the concept of if someone does this then they are not a proper friend. But its incredibly hard.
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kezlou - how awful for your son. poor lamb

pops - hugs, hang in there. you have been much more positive lately but you are bound to have down days. keep busy if it helps and maybe do something you enjoy - a good film or music maybe? make sure you eat too.

kidcat - glad you had a lovely day (despite the parental imputs!)

we had a nice afternoon at the panto - DS2's first ever and I spent a lot of the time just looking at his face completely spellbound!

yesterday a senior colleague of DH send him home with a bag of goodies to share to say thanks for all help DH has given to them- a chocolate snowman each for our boys and a box of G &B's tasting collection (lots and lots of little bars of different choc bars like cherry, ginger, hazelnut and raisin etc) - I have sampled lots already and as DH not that keen on them, I will get to eat most of them :j - they are heavenly, just heavenly.

feeling very coldy and sniffly here but have to get DS2 to bed and sort out DS1's verruca treatment (I get all the fun jobs!) as DH has taken himself off for a leisurely bath. Gotta prise myself out of the chair! Once DS1 in bed, think will take lappy to bed and try and have an early night as have a rare social event to go to on my own and don't intend to miss it!

sq:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport