PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent news Fuddle! The rats are definitely the LL's responsibility to sort but I'd be inclined to put some bait down too.
    What is the girls' new school like?
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fuddle - what fantastic news and such a wonderful Christmas pressie to be in a lovely new place with no damp (or rats! :eek:) It's great when things fall into place isn't it? Here's wishing you a smooth and stress free move and a happy new home. X

Just had a lovely afternoon at a nearby town with friends - they do a little fair with a lantern parade and lights switch on and although we didn't stay for the parade as the kids really need a normal night after all the recent excitement DD did get a ride on a donkey and stroked a lovely doggy from the husky rescue stand and we all had donuts - yum. My friend was celebrating that her children are getting sensible (they are 12 and 14 and lovely) as they decided they didn't want a go on the hook a duck (£2!!!!) to win plastic carp but they would rather have the money to spend on good chocolate as they'd enjoy it more. :D
  • Beccatje
    Beccatje Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    Very tough times...

Yesterday my husband was made redundant. Just like that, no fore warning.. two months notice, but go home and come back Tuesday to sign the papers.

6 years he has worked for them.
    They are kicking 3 people out..for starters. More might follow...

I am just gutted.
    We are totally shell shocked.
    He will ofcourse do his all to find another job, but I can't believe how shocked we are.

Just baffled.
    Nobody saw this coming...
    He went to work friday morning... was home by noon.. that was it.

Financially we are ok for at least 3 months. We will fight with all legal action we can take to get as much redundancy pay as possible and all that.

But I can't believe how shocked we are. Just gutted.. really..didn't expect to be treated with such coldness..
    We try To be positive...we try to see new opputunities...but for now, I have this rock in my stomach, and tears too close below the surface...

I keep telling myself we will be ok. We will be ok.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Beccatje, I'm really sorry. Your shock and upset comes through in your post. :( I wish I could make you feel better. That saying 'time is a healer' is relevant to all sorts of situations. In a few days the shock will subside and you will be able to cope with all those upsetting emotions flying round your head.

You've had a massive kick. You'll plod on till there is some good news. Please take it from me that there is always good news in the future... and I have been pretty rock bottom. Hang in there. We'll see the proactive Beccatj soon enough ;)
  • jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2012 at 6:02PM
    Options
    PIC, hope your pusscat comes home soon. I know how that worry feels.

Fuddle, I'm so happy for you! What a brilliant piece of news - it's given you a lot to do, moving before Christmas, but I bet you will have the best one ever.

Re. the rats... it's anyone's guess where they're coming from. You might want to make sure your bird feeders are inaccessible to rats for the moment though, as those can attract them to your garden.

I really apologise for not mentioning other news, it's a fast moving thread and I only really catch up at weekends.

Re. tough times at Cloudy Acres... I've managed very nicely with the gas CH off this week (I'm out of the house on weekdays from just after 6am til about 5pm) and the electricity I've used over the 7 days has cost just under £15.

That's with using the DriBuddy for a day, a heated towel rail 24/7 and fan heaters on timers plus the usual cooking with halogen and microwave. That'll make a big saving (£20 to £40) a month, if I can keep it up.

I need to keep it up because I've bitten the bullet and joined the pension scheme - I'd opted out when I started the job nearly four years ago as I couldn't afford the contributions but tax changes have meant that I get an extra bit in my pay each month so I am going to join now.

I'm pushing 50 alarmingly fast and have no pension to speak of, and I'm on a very low salary so I need to get this going now. I'll probably still have to work til I drop, but maybe I can be part time when I'm over 66!

I put the CH on for a few hours today to air the house out, swtiched off now. I've got a little log fire going in the chiminea (sitting in the fireplace as I have no grate!) and feel all cosy and warm.

I've made and frozen the week's lunches, T's value rice with shredded chicken, broad beans, fried onions and mushrooms and I have some pork loin steaks my lovely Mum bought me defrosting to do a SC stew for the week's evening meals.

Organised or what! I'm not sure what's come over me. If I have enough energy, I need to cut some more wood tomorrow to make sure I have a good supply for weekends.

I hope everyone has a lovely Saturday evening, hugs and my very best wishes for everyone who is struggling with difficulties of any kind.

Edit: Beccatje, I am so sorry. I have experienced redundancy and I can only offer you both my thoughts and hopes that a new job will not be far away.
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear your news Beccatje. What a shock.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    We have a new house :) It will be complete in 2 weeks and we'll move in 2 weeks later. DH will take the girls to their normal school so they can be part of the Christmas fun then they will move in January. I have school transfer forms.

We're doubtful that we will sign up to the rent to buy scheme as it's not my forever home, although I'm 100% sure about the move as it's my forever location. :)

LL doesn't know yet but DH will be calling to give him the news tonight and i'll be doing it in writing tomorrow. I've had neighbours from both sides telling me that they're getting rats in their gardens and they're coming out of the decking in my garden. £40 to get the council out. Anyone else think it's not for us to sort out? I need all the money we have at the minute as we need a shed (no garage at new house) and need to pay for a removal van.

So! it's all go, it's a very exciting if not a bit worrying (change) and a nice new, small (cheaper to run!) house without damp to look forward to for christmas. I remember a few weeks back crying because it looked like LL was turfing us out on top of christmas and here I am doing it to myself!
    :j Oh fantastic news! Well done the Fuddles!

And the LL can go swivel on it, him and the rats *cackle*

((((((((Beccatje))))))))) :( Very sorry to hear that your OH has been treated so shockingly. Hard enough to lose a job but there are right and wrong ways to treat people and this seems so wrong. Very much hoping that he manages to get his redundancy rights and that a new and better job will be found soon.

Nothing exciting going on here other than surely some precipitaion record being broken. I mucked out the bedroom instead of working on the lottie. I have about as much visible (i.e. not under the bed) floor as would be covered by a standard sized mat.

Only it was covered by a variety of stuff which needed to be rehomed and reorganised and now has been.

;) Am good for Xmas wrapping paper probably into the mid century.................:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    Oh gosh, what highs and lows!

So sorry Beccatje, what a terrible thing to happen, no wonder you feel gutted. :(

So pleased for you Fuddle, just shows how sometimes thing can turn out for the best! :j

And for everyone else with horrible news (((hugs))) all round.

I agree re feeders - clear the food away as it will be attracting them (and knowing LL he will try to pass the blame). We back onto farmland and I am forever having to bait now, even though I hate it. Rats are very persistent and will always seek out food. We had to stop feeding the birds in London because of it :(.
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Awh lots going on just now, emotions all over the place on here. As long as you all know we're here for you, to come in and share, whether it's laughing or crying. xxx
  • paidinchickens
    Options
    What a !!!!py day. If I win the lottery I'm taking us all to somewhere warm and all inclusive so keep your fingers crossed :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure