IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Reply from POPLA

Options
12346»

Comments

• hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    You are falling for an impersonation of authority scam :-)

Just because the PPC says you can only appeal to POPLA for certain reasons doesn't make it so. If they had said you can only appeal if you wrote your original appeal in red ink, while hopping on one leg and whistling Waltzing Matilda would anyone have believed them then?

We all know PPCs build their business on misinformation and the odd outrageous lie, and this is just another example.

The PPC has tried to impose this condition retrospectively after the original has been completed, and there is nothing about this condition either in the government guidelines or the POPLA website.

In reality, it would be a complete own goal by POPLA if they wrote back saying in effect, "Your appeal is denied. Reason X was a valid reason to allow your appeal, but we decided to ignore it for reasons you were not made aware of before starting the appeal process." Let's secretly hope POPLA do this, but realistically expect them to be a bit more worldy-wise and not shoot themselves in the foot.

Especially as they probably have nothing better to do than to read this forum until the appeals process starts to kick off.

On a slightly different note, is this worth a quiet world in the ear of the DVLA? If a PPC is trying to impose their own conditions on the POPLA process then perhaps this is enough to get their DVLA access suspended?

Or, since the POPLA process is meant to be strictly controlled, perhaps this is a valid reason to appeal:

"The ticket is invalid because the PPC did not follow the POPLA process, but tried to impose extra restrictions."

Of course, you will note that this particular reason is only apparent after the PPC appeal, and so while a perfectly valid reason for appeal would never be allowed by POPLA if we were to believe the PPC. :-)
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    NotanIdiot wrote: »
    Absolutely, its discriminatory. What if you are disabled and cant operate a computer?

I'd like Coupon Mad's opinion on this from the discriminatory angle.

Specifically, is it worth a letter to the DVLA asking to suspend their access because they are only providing the POPLA forms in a digital form, which disadvantages people without ready computer access.

Also, it is worth letters to any other body? Trading Standards? Disability Rights? BPA (I know, waste of ink!)?
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who would bet that the first appeals through POPLA are successful. This will make them look good, and truly independent!
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    They might be setting a precedent though. Not a legal one, but if they uphold an appeal for any particular reason then they might find it difficult to turn an identical appeal down later.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    We need to make sure we get successes up on here, though my feeling is that they'll be as rare as hens teeth. If you look at patas and see that most appeals are allowed, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the same for popla ? If not there needs to be serious questions asked for the reason why, it would look like that private parking tickets have more legitimacy than penalty charges notices, and that wouldn't be acceptable IMO
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • ManxRed
    Options
    Of course the real killer will be if POPLA reject an appeal and it subsequently goes to court and a court throws it out.

No idea how long we might have to wait for one of those.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could the court throw it out that POPLA have no legitimacy to levy a fine?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • ManxRed
    Options
    Probably not. The court claim would have to be from the PPC (yeah, I know, it ought to be the landowner, but let's keep it real eh?) so they'd be the ones levying the 'fine', not POPLA.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    I doubt it but they could be persuaded that the range of arguments that popla look at are extremely limited and do encompass all the facts.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    hoohoo wrote: »
    I'd like Coupon Mad's opinion on this from the discriminatory angle.

Specifically, is it worth a letter to the DVLA asking to suspend their access because they are only providing the POPLA forms in a digital form, which disadvantages people without ready computer access.

Also, it is worth letters to any other body? Trading Standards? Disability Rights? BPA (I know, waste of ink!)?

We would need a person who had been disadvantaged by this to complain. I suspect there is potential for a complaint since not everyone has access to a PC, how is the average non-techy elderly victim going to navigate their way around this system? The Equality Act covers age discrimination as well in E&W.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure