MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Harry pay Ron’s speeding fine?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
77 replies 16.5K views
1234568»

Replies

• moanymoanymoanymoany Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was in a taxi yesterday morning and the driver told me he had just had a customer to take to Gatwick. The man was late and told the driver he wanted him to get his foot down to get him there asap. The driver told him that he wouldn't break the law and the customer said he wouldn't pay if the driver didn't get there in time. The driver refused to take him. He told him that he should have allowed more time.

Now, if that man misses his flight who will he blame - himself for not getting his act together, or the taxi driver. The question goes further than being a simple question and comes down to taking responsibility for your own actions.

I bet nothing is ever Harry's fault. Ron should make him an ex-friend, Harry is not Ron's responsibility and this should be Ron's wake up call about Harry.
  • grayme-mgrayme-m Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a little story for you.

10 years or so ago an off duty policeman is having a pint in a pub in London. He overhears a group of three men on a nearby table talking about driving up to Glasgow on the weekend. It seems all of the men are driving and they're talking about their route, what time they need to be there and how long it'll take them.

The off duty policeman quickly works out that, if they take the time to drive from London to Glasgow they claim then they'll have to do well over 70 mph for the entire journey.

He pops to the phone box and calls in some on duty officers who quickly arrest the three men for................. Conspiracy to break the speed limit!

Faithfully reported to me by an experienced Solicitor.

Oh, and those three men? Well, they ended up with criminal convictions for conspiracy. No prison time, but that looks a hell of a lot worse on your record than 3 points!

So I think yes, Harry should pay Rons £60 fine. But Ron should keep his mouth shut and not try explaining that he had agreed with Harry to break the speed limit because he was late!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Call me cynical, (and you'd be fair to do so), but I don't believe a word (unless you can prove it?) ;)
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
  • if he didn't he's no friend
  • gingercordialgingercordial Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    grayme-m wrote: »
    Call me cynical, (and you'd be fair to do so), but I don't believe a word (unless you can prove it?) ;)

Have to admit I don't believe this either - I could sit in a pub with my mates, and say that I was setting off to Glasgow at 9am, and hoped or even intended to be there by a certain time. That wouldn't mean I was going to be there at that time - I could be early or late (very likely as I have no idea how long it would take) and I certainly wouldn't break the speed limit to get there at the stated time if I'd miscalculated! Surely a court couldn't hold me to my estimate?

My friends would laugh anyway as I can't even drive. I'd get the plane and go at 500mph!

Anyway... in this situation (though I would never get into this situation as I'm always paranoid about getting to the airport really early and also hate speeding so wouldn't ask for it) then yes I would pay my friend's fine. He was doing me the favour by taking me there so should not be out of pocket. And I would be paying his petrol money too, and getting him a present from abroad for his time. :A
  • KEZ1971KEZ1971 Forumite
    3 Posts
    This very problem happened to me.

My brother in law was taking us home from the airport. We weren't in a hurry, there was no rush, it was his driving alone that got him a ticket.

When the ticket came through my sister told me
    "Remember when we gave you a lift? Well we got a £60 fine......"

I didn't offer to pay as it was my brother in law's fault.

We had also paid £20 for petrol which more than covered the petrol used (about £5 used).

Maybe he will slow down......
  • grayme-mgrayme-m Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    KEZ1971 wrote: »
    This very problem happened to me.

My brother in law was taking us home from the airport. We weren't in a hurry, there was no rush, it was his driving alone that got him a ticket.

When the ticket came through my sister told me
    "Remember when we gave you a lift? Well we got a £60 fine......"

I didn't offer to pay as it was my brother in law's fault.

We had also paid £20 for petrol which more than covered the petrol used (about £5 used).

Maybe he will slow down......

Your case is very different though, as you say there was no hurry so it just happened that your BIL got a ticket because he was speeding; if he does it all the time it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I wouldn't offer to pay his fine either, he caused it purely on himself; just because he was there for you is no reason for you to pay IMHO.

IIRC, payment for a lift equates to an unlicenced taxi. (though I won't tell anyone :))
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
  • Harry should definatley pay - his mate is doing the favour by taking Harry to the airport and then he takes the p*** by styaing in bed - he's lucky to have a mate if you ask me!:naughty:
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals