MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Harry pay Ron’s speeding fine?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
77 replies 16.5K views

Replies

• carol_a_3carol_a_3 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    They should have used Mr Weasley's flying car and flown over the top of the speed cameras.

Seriously though, I think they should go halves on the fine, Harry for being a lazy so and so and Ron for being a bad driver. If Ron had stuck to the speed limit, made Harry miss his flight it would teach Harry to get up earlier in future. I feel sorry for Ron getting points though when he could have been tucked up in bed!
  • pmdpmd Forumite
    65 Posts
    Harry's got to pay - his fault for oversleeping. Ron gets the points anyway, which could end up being the worse part of the penalty. Presumably they agreed the departure time to allow for driving time, Harry cuts that time down, Ron tries to make sure his mate doesn't miss the flight.

If Harry doesn't cough up, it'll be the last time friend Ron offers to help him out.
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Harry was half decent, he would acknowledge that his lie-in was at the root of the problem and offer to pay the fine. And if he didn't offer (and I was Ron) I wouldn't offer my services a second time. If people are putting themselves out to do you a favour, the very least you can do is have the consideration to make life as simple as possible for them.
  • dannahazdannahaz Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Harry should pay, and in fact the miserbale git should have OFFERED to pay without Ron asking. Not much of a friend, is he?
  • epninetyepninety Forumite
    563 Posts
    Not a hypothetical for me... I put a mate in this situation.

We were rushing to a garage just before closing time to get a part for my car. A laden quarry truck pulled out causing us to slow right down, at the bottom of a long hill. Overtaking here is technically illegal (road markings) but perfectly safe (wide road, long visibility, no turn-offs etc.). We looked at each other and both said 'Go!'.

Unfortunately neither of us spotted that the white van behind was a police van :eek:

My mate took the points, I paid his fine. The least I could do, no question.

PS: Interesting twist... My mate didn't initially tell me about the fine, he made out he'd only got a stiff talking to. Guess that makes us both 'good guys'.
  • rjcb23rjcb23 Forumite
    77 Posts
    I was in a similar situation to Ron and Harry.

I needed to buy a car as I was moving jobs and needed transport. I saw one in the paper and got my friend Simon to take me to see it on his motorbike.

After seeing it, we were on the motorway back home when we were pulled over by the boys in blue.

My mate was fined and given 3 points.

Now, I know that we didn't need to hurry back; Simon was just going too fast (we were clocked at doing over 100mph -eek!) But I still felt guilty as he wouldnt have been on the bike if I hadnt asked for the favour.

So I paid the fine, and he got the points (and the increase to his insurance premium of course)

I thougth that was a fair deal.

Tip: the best way to get out of paying speeding fines is to not speed in the first place. IT'S BETTER TO ARRIVE LATE, THAN *DEAD* ON TIME

S: Dini? Ciai? Cificae?
    NS: Wiui? Iiwi? Cificae?

• epninety wrote: »
    Not a hypothetical for me... I put a mate in this situation.

We were rushing to a garage just before closing time to get a part for my car. A laden quarry truck pulled out causing us to slow right down, at the bottom of a long hill. Overtaking here is technically illegal (road markings) but perfectly safe (wide road, long visibility, no turn-offs etc.). We looked at each other and both said 'Go!'.

Unfortunately neither of us spotted that the white van behind was a police van :eek:

My mate took the points, I paid his fine. The least I could do, no question.

PS: Interesting twist... My mate didn't initially tell me about the fine, he made out he'd only got a stiff talking to. Guess that makes us both 'good guys'.

No it was not perfectly safe or the road markings would not of said other wise its no over taking for a resson.

But back to Harry & Ron the driver of the car is in the wrong he has his foot on the accelarator, if some one cant get there butt out of bed hard luck.

My sister was run over by some one over taking were they shouldent & speeding, ask her I dont fink ur find much sympathy.
  • rcherryukrcherryuk Forumite
    17 Posts
    dannahaz wrote: »
    Harry should pay, and in fact the miserbale git should have OFFERED to pay without Ron asking. Not much of a friend, is he?

I couldn't have put it better myself!:beer:
  • OptimistOptimist Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harry should pay. I would if it were me.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Any pressure from Harry for Ron to do anything risky or illegal is where the friend's morals should be questioned, not at the consequence (ie. £60) stage.

But ultimately, Ron was the driver, and he has the responsibility for the speeding ticket and anything else, including much worse, that happens en route.
    That's what driving is! Its not sitting behind a steering wheel like a trained monkey!

What would happen if Harry had taken a minicab instead and asked him to speed?

Praps Harry should have driven himself to the airport in either his or Rons car, with Ron as a passenger. Then the responsibility for the actions taken to recover from his lie-in would stop with him.

If I was Harry I wouldn't begrudge paying the £60, but it would depend on what I'd asked him to do as to how happy I was to pay it.
    And if Ron had run over a child whilst speeding, would Harry be splitting the £1m law suit?
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides