MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Harry pay Ron’s speeding fine?

245678

Comments

  • machtzu
    machtzu Posts: 73 Forumite
    pbarclay wrote: »
    The problem with speeding fines these days is that the first £60 is only the start of it. Getting 3 points on his license will increase Ron's insurance premium each year by around £50 for the next 5 years, if my experience is anything to go by after one flash in October 2003.

    In the good old days when few people received SP30s, my insurance company was more than happy to ignore the first 3 or even 6 points but these days they are as keen to apply punitive taxes as Gordon Brown.

    If your only 3rd party one option is not to tell them because they are not able to remove their liability to the 3rd party even if you lie on your insurance form if the accident occurs before they find out, (I wouldn't recommend this option, mainly because its fraud, but just throwing it out there like Microsoft and Windows Vista)
    JB MIEEE MIET
  • Pound wrote: »
    Maybe Ron could use the 'doing Harry a favour' excuse with the police, see what they make of it. :rolleyes:

    Hope springs eternal!!
  • machtzu wrote: »
    Yes, its only £60 anyway. Also if possible Harry should try to take the points too, think Quantum States if he wasn't doing a favour he wouldn't have got caught.

    Ever heard of the serious offence of Attempting to or Peverting the Course of Justice?

    Definitely cost you more than £60!!
  • machtzu
    machtzu Posts: 73 Forumite
    dwynnehugh wrote: »
    Ever heard of the serious offence of Attempting to or Peverting the Course of Justice?

    Definitely cost you more than £60!!

    Quite, carries a tariff of 5 years now doesn't it?
    JB MIEEE MIET
  • grayme-m
    grayme-m Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    pbarclay wrote: »
    The problem with speeding fines these days is that the first £60 is only the start of it. Getting 3 points on his license will increase Ron's insurance premium each year by around £50 for the next 5 years, if my experience is anything to go by after one flash in October 2003.

    In the good old days when few people received SP30s, my insurance company was more than happy to ignore the first 3 or even 6 points but these days they are as keen to apply punitive taxes as Gordon Brown.

    I agree that if Harry urges Ron to drive above the speed limit to make up for his lie in bed, he is morally obliged to take responsibility of the consequences of his action. In the same way, if Ron's car runs out of fuel on the way to the airport and Harry misses his flight, Ron has a moral obligation to contribute to Harry's next flight

    Maybe Harry should say he was driving and hence he gets the points and costs (which if he was asking Ron specially to speed, indirectly he was)?

    I doubt the law really cares who it catches, as long as it gets its £60..... ;)
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
  • ads_2
    ads_2 Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just go halves on the cost. Can't do anything about the points.
    something missing
  • veruccasalt
    veruccasalt Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    They should definitely get Hermione to pay.
    “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.” Charles M Schulz
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    machtzu wrote: »
    If your only 3rd party one option is not to tell them because they are not able to remove their liability to the 3rd party even if you lie on your insurance form if the accident occurs before they find out, (I wouldn't recommend this option, mainly because its fraud, but just throwing it out there like Microsoft and Windows Vista)
    Whilst your insurer has to provide third party cover even if you've deceived them, they are then able to recover any outlay from you - so it's just as if you aren't insured EXCEPT that you won't get prosecuted for driving without insurance. Not a good idea.
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Harry most definitely should pay. A friendship is at stake here.
  • suiko
    suiko Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If I was Ron and Harry didn't offer to pay it, or at very least split it, I wouldn't think he was much of a friend and certainly wouldn't drive him to the airport again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards