Would you consider boiler rental ?

Options

Comments

• pandapaws
    pandapaws Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting one of these boilers but am concerned as several people have said combi-boilers are not suitable for large family homes; I have a 4 bedroom house, 13 radiator.
    Has anyone any experience on whether comi-boiler is suitable? Any feedback much appreciated.

We were also worried - we've got a slightly larger-than-average 4 bed house as there are a few extra rooms - we have 16 radiators and were told that we needed a much larger boiler than average. The everlasting one is a 36KW boiler (I think from memory) which is much more powerful than the majority of others that you would get.

When they sent the surveyor out, they were completely happy with the radiators, but concerned about the water because we've got a bathroom, a shower room, WC, kitchen and utility, plus 2 washing machines and a dishwasher. They said that if we were to be using all these at the same time, the boiler might not be able to cope. They were also a little worried that the existing shower we had (which was basically just a tap with an electric pump) wouldn't be powerful enough.

We said, though, that we almost never use all the water at the same time - how often do you shower, and take a bath, and wash your hands downstairs, and fill two sinks at the same time? And the washers are all cold-feed, so no problem there. So we signed a disclaimer to say that if the shower didn't work properly, we wouldn't blame them, and we'd replace it at our own cost.

As it turns out, the shower is far more powerful than it was before with the electric pump, as well as being silent. The water is piping hot. The bath fills in half the time it did before. So everything has been perfect!

I'm happy to talk to anyone by PM/phone or whatever if anyone has any questions about it. Obviously ASG themselves would be the best people to ask about technical stuff, but I know myself that it's nice to speak to someone that's had it done. Feel free to PM me.
  • mrbilbs
    mrbilbs Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    We have one from these guys also. We had a fault (a broken Radiator Thermostat) they were out very quickly and fixed it - obviously at no cost.

The boiler is great and heats up our 13 radiators brilliantly - our house has never been so warm in winter, especially with the current cold snap.

We had a combi boiler before so are used to how they are.

Overall we are very happy and PandPaws has eliquently pointed out a lot of info as well as mirroring all the things we thought about the scheme.

As far as we can tell its not a con and just a genuine business. I have to admitt now the cold weather is here a few friends have been having problems with thier boilers so I have gladly passed on the number of ASG to them - as well as feeling slightly smug that Im toasty warm!
  • kennelvn06
    Options
    Hi I am looking into getting a new boiler as I tried to get my boiler serviced and was told it should be condemned - it seems to work although is quite noisy. I came across everlasting boilers I only have a small house (two up , two down) I have looked at various information and posts from people about this and somewhere I read that the boiler from everlasting is suitable for only large houses but I can't find the information/post where this was stated. Does anyone know if it would be suitable for a two bedroomed house?
  • pyrogenius
    Options
    I've also been looking at this, really need a new oil boiler but not sure they do them. About to give them a call but found this link which has the costs of final purchase at the end of the contract as well as answers to other things I did see on here.

The site is called moneymaxim and they have the everlasting-boilers-review. I can't post links but it has info that MSE does not.

Interesting comparison with British Gas and funding it yourself too.

Seems it might be only available in England too so on good for the large rural population of Wales and Scotland. Although you don't have to be very rural not to get mains gas, cities like Perth don't even have gas in some more modern housing estates on it's western edge.

Will update if the phone call has different info.
  • pyrogenius
    Options
    Update, they don't install in Scotland. Land laws are different which is slightly maddening. I'm surprised the difference is so great that they can't afford to operate up here. It is to do with land registry regulations apparently.
    They also only do gas boilers.

They were promising to move into Scotland with the solar panel business many years ago but they still haven't found a way for the same reason as the boilers.

Any suggestions anyone? I have no way of funding even a boiler service at the moment and it's making an awful smell.
  • pandapaws
    Options
    kennelvn06 wrote: »
    Hi I am looking into getting a new boiler as I tried to get my boiler serviced and was told it should be condemned - it seems to work although is quite noisy. I came across everlasting boilers I only have a small house (two up , two down) I have looked at various information and posts from people about this and somewhere I read that the boiler from everlasting is suitable for only large houses but I can't find the information/post where this was stated. Does anyone know if it would be suitable for a two bedroomed house?

My friend has taken advantage of the refer-a-friend scheme and has just had a boiler installed in his 2-bed terraced house. When his surveyor was out, he told him that although he boiler has sufficient power to heat a very large house, it will only use as much gas as it requires for the heat output in that particular property, and for his small house the boiler would just tick along. I suppose a comparison would be a sports car... while it might be capable of driving at 200mph, it'll still work just fine if you never drive it above 60mph, and the engine will probably last forever if it isn't thrashed!
  • pandapaws
    Options
    pyrogenius wrote: »
    Update, they don't install in Scotland. Land laws are different which is slightly maddening. I'm surprised the difference is so great that they can't afford to operate up here. It is to do with land registry regulations apparently.
    They also only do gas boilers.

They were promising to move into Scotland with the solar panel business many years ago but they still haven't found a way for the same reason as the boilers.

Any suggestions anyone? I have no way of funding even a boiler service at the moment and it's making an awful smell.

Is the Green Deal for England only too? I know there are loads of differences between Scotland and England with regard to the different schemes available. You'd think that there would be something. Good luck - that smell doesn't sound too good at all. :(
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    pandapaws wrote: »
    My friend has taken advantage of the refer-a-friend scheme and has just had a boiler installed in his 2-bed terraced house. When his surveyor was out, he told him that although he boiler has sufficient power to heat a very large house, it will only use as much gas as it requires for the heat output in that particular property, and for his small house the boiler would just tick along. I suppose a comparison would be a sports car... while it might be capable of driving at 200mph, it'll still work just fine if you never drive it above 60mph, and the engine will probably last forever if it isn't thrashed!

No I don't think that is a valid analogy.

Actually with modern condensing boilers it is not recommended to have an oversize boiler.

http://www.boilers.org.uk/whole_house.htm

Replacement boilers are rarely sized correctly. Oversized
    boilers cost more to purchase and generally operate less efficiently resulting in higher running costs and increased emissions to atmosphere.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    No I don't think that is a valid analogy.

Actually with modern condensing boilers it is not recommended to have an oversize boiler.

On the other hand - oversizing radiators generally only does good things.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Review here

Anyone thinking of this really needs to read the review.

BTW they use a Ravenheat boiler, hardly a popular model with installers
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure