PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 November 2012 at 8:51PM
    Options
    angelatgraceland I am so sorry, I know you have alluded to his illness over some time but so hard. You are one of the longest standing members (around in 2008 when the recpe below was posted) and it's good to see you back. Take care
    CompBunny wrote: »
    I'm going to give this recipe from the GC a go tonight http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=10730349#post10730349
    However, I only have a silicon loaf tin and no muffin tins/cake tins etc yet. Do you think I could make little mini rolls perhaps baked straight onto a lined baking tray?

I think this is a runny batter version so you need to use an oven proof something with sides - but you could shallow-fill your loaf tin and use an oven-proof casserole dish (and the lid) for the rest of the mix - just grease the dish (I use oil on my fingers) so you can get the bread out. :) Just read on and yes, greased tin-foil dishes will be fine too!

elly2 - well done on clearing that biggy. It's quite liberating but I hate the feelng of reducing our savings but you're right - that interest you are saving will be higher than any savings interest

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    Clearly the stress of uni is getting to me as I lost my mind today...went shopping in M&S. Fancy fresh pasta, grapes (as expensive as bloomin' wine!) and a few deli bits (tzaziki, taramasalata and the like). Sig about to be updated :(
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent €64.45 in Lidl yesterday, trying to eat out of freezer and cupboards but OH is not really co-operating so difficult....but if he goes off and buys steak that is his lookout and we can both enjoy it!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • emmita
    emmita Posts: 715 Forumite
    Options
    Spent £19.90 at Mr A today. Tried to be good only treat was a multipack bags of crisps on offer. Mostly pet food and fresh fruit / veg but have already spent about £70 this week. Quite frustrating. I need to head over to the pet forum and see if I can locate some cheap pet supplies. Also annoying was going through the checkout when my boss rang. So caught up I didn't use my £2.23 price checked voucher. If this was a school report I'd give myself the comment, 'must try harder'.
    MFW 2013 #146 Target £6000
    Sealed pot challenge 6 member #1663 / £167.76
    Sealed pot challenge 5 member #1663 / £153.19
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    liz-paul wrote: »
    Angelatgraceland - not sure what to say but condolances maybe? Sorry for your loss.

A quick question for you folk - I was in lidl today and they had 3 bird roasts in the freezer. They weighed 1.5kg not sure if that is all meat or includes bones etc. They were £9.99. Does that sound like a good price? Am wondering about getting one or two for xmas dinner..... Not sure yet how many adults I'm feeding, between 4 - 8 plus 2 small kids.....

thats not bad but iceland has their turkeys in now starting from a tenner and that 3.4kg i think
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    elsiepac wrote: »
    angelatgraceland and winchelsea - I just wanted to say how very much I admire you both. I do hope this doesn't sound trite, flippant or blase; I cannot even imagine (at a steadfastly single very nearly 29yo) meeting the man I would want/need/desire to marry, let alone facing the heartbreak of losing them. The pain is too much to imagine. Which is why I admire you both so very much for being able to continue with the necessities of daily life. I hope this is taken in the spirit in which it is meant, for I truly cannot imagine myself being so strong in your positions, and I admire you greatly for it.

LC x

great words and a wonderful scentiment (sp) thank you elsiepac for saying that on behalf of us all
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    meanmarie wrote: »
    Spent €64.45 in Lidl yesterday, trying to eat out of freezer and cupboards but OH is not really co-operating so difficult....but if he goes off and buys steak that is his lookout and we can both enjoy it!

Marie
    me and him are not on the same wave lengh either but with hims its junk food like coke pepperami stick midget gems ectect but as long as i get him the odd one or two things (still moaning i am starving him) he accepts it

• debtmess
    debtmess Posts: 711 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A £14 spend here today, mainly snacky bits for lunch box's and cereal taking my spend so far to £83.09 so far for November. Sunday will be my next spending day as the fridge is starting to look a little bare.
    Debt free :beer:

Married 15/02/14:D
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DH is on a real health kick/diet at the moment and decided he wanted salad and lean turkey for tea so we went to Mr S. Bought £60.23 of food, wine, emery boards and value pan scourers but paid £42.21 after coupons and multibuy discounts. This healthy eating lark is costing a fortune. It was cheaper when DH ate pork scratchings and drank loads of beer:eek:

We did buy 4 bottles of wine to start to fill our wine rack. It is built into the kitchen to fill a gap either side of the dishwasher and looks odd (and grubby) when it is empty. Now DS is older and doesn't mess about with the bottles I can refill it bit by bit.

I still want to come in on budget but it is looking a bit iffy now. We have a lot of food in the house but we are eating so much fresh food and salad our budget is taking a bashing. I now have less than £100 to last until the 19th:eek:
    I bought the ha1ry bikers diet book today and Jamie 0liver 15 min book for DH. Oh my they look good and I have already planned 3 soups from them to make over the weekend and a chicken recipe to make when my dad visits later in the month. I have a lot of the ingredients in or coming in my organic veg box so they shouldn't cost much to make.

I have a rare midweek day off with DH and DS tomorrow:D Money making, money saving and free fun in the fresh air with the dog planned.:D
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just catching up.
    Well done elly2 :T It's a great feeling knowing you're in control.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport