PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• empy
    empy Posts: 325 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning Zippychick and other OSer's :)

I've been stickingish to my budget for the past couple of months but since starting a new job in September it's all gone way out of the window :( so I need to refocus particularly with Christmas in the not too distant future :D
    So I need to get a handle on this, I'm dedicating this morning to stock taking and menu planning etc.
    I've set the budget for this month at £200 which is for 2 adults and two hollow legged boys, this does not seem a lot but I know I've got so much hidden away in both freezers and my cupboards are fit to bursting :) I'm hoping to actually have some left to squirrel away for xmas pressies!

Wow, sorry for waffling on! Could you please add me to the list? Thank you muchly.

Emma
    OS Grocery Challenge
    August £250/ £103.44 left
  • lemmings1986
    Options
    hi every1 hope everyone is well, im not sure if its already been mentioned but mr t's are selling the frozen party food bogof its mostly the £1 and £2 items like spring rolls,duck spring rolls,mexican selection,chicken bites sorry cant remember what else there was but there was a few to choose from. quite good to put away or for partys etc.
    were off into town today as oh is getting a eye test at mr t's so will have to refrain from buying any food as i dont need anything.
    i am planning on making some cupcakes and bread when we get back instead of buying some and i can put cupcakes in oh packup.
    hope everyone has a good day :):)
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
  • mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 October 2012 at 10:15AM
    Options
    I have had a couple of NSDs this week which is good. DH has been paid and I did a mini big shop and then have withdrawn the rest of the money and put into 4 envelopes for the next 4 weeks (starting Monday).

I need a few expensive things each week (like chicken breast, washing powder etc) but should still stay within my new lowered budget.

I might add a few tins, flour, pasta here and there (and UHT milk) if I can within the budget ready for the winter. We do have shops close to us but when the snow is very bad there is nothing left in the shops. Might also do some freezer meals of spag bol, chilli, shep pie, chicken casserole etc.

Its pretty cold here today so I think soup is in order for lunch before I go to work. Not sure what to take to work for dinner tonight. We have a microwave at work so maybe some pasta as I usually take a sandwich but as I work in the chilled section AND its cold outside maybe something a bit more warming. DH will have to have a cuppa ready for when I get home at 9.30!
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • icklepiggle
    Options
    Hello from a newbie:) can i go down for £250 please? That's for 2 adults 2 toddlers & a cat so going to be a toughie, but xmas is coming so need to be good x x
    Back after paying off DMP in 2014

Want to make sure debt doesn’t start creeping up again
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 October 2012 at 12:44PM
    Options
    I am just back from Aldi. It was manic in there, I have never seen it so busy. Spent £66.10 but only £44.68 is to add on to the GC as I got some Christmas cards and wrap and a bird feeder for my Mum as it is what she wanted for Christmas and is on their special buys this week. My Mum doesnt have an Aldi so it was a great coincidence that she asked for one just as they had them on offer. Great customer service in there today too. I hadn't realised they were outside the store so hadn't picked one up and mentioned couldnt find one to the girl who served me who nipped outside and got me one. What a star:D:T

Other spends to add are £25.88 in Mr S, was more but I used £5 of n3ctar points to bring it down, £12 on a chinese when I got in late on Thursday and a guesstimate of the price of 2 milk DH got at Mr T.

After my Mr T delivery and veg box last Friday I had £89 to spend per week over the next 4 weeks and this week I have come in at £84.92:T That leaves £89/week for the next 3 weeks. This week has been helped by not buying any alcohol as DH is avoiding it for a while. I still have a lot of meat left from last week and my cupboards are still full so I know I can do better.

DH and I are having a rare night out tonight to see Jimmy Bond at the pics. Mr S value popcorn and ald1 jelly babies will be taken along with us. Very MSE:money::D
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    barneydee wrote: »
    So can you put me down for £300.00 sorry can not post in red or enlarge my lap top will not do it

Thanks
    Dee

Coxy11
    barneydee wants a target of £300 for November (see above)

Please can you put Suffolk lass down for £300 for November.

Cheers Coxy

Good luck everyone
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Determined not to spend anymore on the groceries this week, so i have made some JJs Cheese hearb bread, and some raisin scones:

2012-10-27122448.jpg

The lighting is a bit 'off' as they are actually more browned than this.

I also have raisin flapjacks in the oven. My house smells lovely!
    Trying my hardest not to spend any money at all, so am trying to find cheap, easy to make savoury snacks, if anyone has any good suggestions/recommendations?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 October 2012 at 1:57PM
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Determined not to spend anymore on the groceries this week, so i have made some JJs Cheese hearb bread, and some raisin scones:

2012-10-27122448.jpg

The lighting is a bit 'off' as they are actually more browned than this.

I also have raisin flapjacks in the oven. My house smells lovely!
    Trying my hardest not to spend any money at all, so am trying to find cheap, easy to make savoury snacks, if anyone has any good suggestions/recommendations?

Ooh , they look scrummy!

For a savoury snack, if you've got a potato, egg and any other veg you could make a sort of frittata thing (potato and veg omelette, topped with a bit of cheese) and baked while your oven is on. Grate the veg and set it to fry in the pan with butter and oil or whatever you've got left then pour on the beaten egg, top with grated cheese and bake until the cheese starts to brown. It's yummy hot or cold, cut like pizza wedges.
    HTH
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Top up shop today coming to £9.36 meaning week 1's total is 10p over my weekly budget of £25.
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Few nsd's here. Might need milk and a few fridge bits on Monday. Then hopefully we'll manage another week... Have loads in freezer, it's just work lunches I struggle with. Don't get why it's such a big deal as I only go into the office 2 days a week.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family