The Great 'best and worst shop returns policies' Hunt

12346»

Comments

• Phoned (either b@q or homebase, cant remember which) to complain about a carpet shampooer I bought and used once and didn't like and was told I could still return it and get a refund under the 'Buyer regrets' rule that not many people know about ! Worked. Returned for a full refund
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I don't work for comet but I do work for another retailer and we are actually told by some suppliers not to take the vacuums back as they want to check them themselves. Most vacuums you buy these days even have a sticker on them saying "don't take back to the shop phone xxxxx" It's because a huge number of "faulty" vacuums are actually just blocked or the filter has never been cleaned etc. That said, most shops would replace a faulty one if it's less than a month old.

While it is often quicker to go directly , The contract is with the RETAILER who must if requested by the consumer, deal with the fault directly by themselves forwarding to the supplier.
    This is basic stuff, and the arbitrary "less than one month we'll exchange " wouldn't stand up in the small claims court either. They can't pick and choose their obligations under the law.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    gazzebo69 wrote: »
    I remember buying a hoover about 15 months ago, and at the till the salesperson said that if when i got home and the hoover was faulty that i could not fetch it back to the store and had to contact the manufacturer directky. My reply in my greatest i dont think so voice wad 'Really, are you sure about that'. Surely it is against the law for this type of action. Needless to say i havent been back to comet since, and i dont intend to. Am sure the business i used to do and persuading about 4 people not to shop there will not hurt them in the slightest, but at least they wont get my custom ever again.

You are correct, though the later the fault develops, the harder it is to get satisfaction. see my previous answer.
    Anyway, looks like Comet won't be around much longer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164228
  • I totally agree with the shabby opinion that Sports Direct customer service deserves. In this age where every decent firm emphasises 'great customer service' SD seem to great at either accusing their customers of lying or theft! Mike Ashley should take note and put himself and his retail team on a modern 21st.century, customer service course.
  • Patr100 wrote: »
    You are correct, though the later the fault develops, the harder it is to get satisfaction. see my previous answer.
    Anyway, looks like Comet won't be around much longer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164228

Yep, looks like comet will be next big high street shop to go.
  • I work for Matalan and I think our Christmas returns policy is pretty good. Items purchased from now until Christmas can be returned in store until the end of January.
    Just keep your receipt, leave the tags on and return in original selling condition and you can have a full refund or exchange (even if the items have gone into sale). Great if you are buying clothes for gifts and you are not 100% sure on what size someone takes :)
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't refund/exchange without a receipt even if their own tag attached to item or if receipt just one day out of date. Won't even look at it.

I bought two bags for a wedding thinking I could decide on day which one i liked better with wedding outfit. Took one back and saw something else more expensive so thought I'd put the money in part exchange, but didn't realise receipt was one day out of date for a refund or in my case exchange. TKMaxx wouldn't budge on store policy so had to pay up for other item. Sister took back a skirt but couldn't find receipt although only purchased week before in cash and they wouldn't even look at it. Both these items clearly had TKMaxx tag still attached to them so obviously their store.

Not often I go to the store and therefore never have to return anything so a bit of a surprise when they wouldn't even consider exchange. I even asked if they could check if still in stock or been reduced as would have accepted reduced price, better than nothing, but they refused point blank. Company policy I understand and did ask if i could possibly speak to Manager myself but they said he doesn't talk to customers!

Yes it was my fault for not checking returns policy but strange the Manager wouldn't even speak to customers! Perhaps he's shy! :D
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lara wrote: »
    Don't refund/exchange without a receipt even if their own tag attached to item or if receipt just one day out of date. Won't even look at it.

I bought two bags for a wedding thinking I could decide on day which one i liked better with wedding outfit. Took one back and saw something else more expensive so thought I'd put the money in part exchange, but didn't realise receipt was one day out of date for a refund or in my case exchange. TKMaxx wouldn't budge on store policy so had to pay up for other item. Sister took back a skirt but couldn't find receipt although only purchased week before in cash and they wouldn't even look at it. Both these items clearly had TKMaxx tag still attached to them so obviously their store.

Not often I go to the store and therefore never have to return anything so a bit of a surprise when they wouldn't even consider exchange. I even asked if they could check if still in stock or been reduced as would have accepted reduced price, better than nothing, but they refused point blank. Company policy I understand and did ask if i could possibly speak to Manager myself but they said he doesn't talk to customers!

Yes it was my fault for not checking returns policy but strange the Manager wouldn't even speak to customers! Perhaps he's shy! :D
    Although the rules they have used do seem to make some sort of sense, I often wonder how many of the managers working at TKMaxx actually know the rules.

One example was back last year when I bought back a pair of mittens TKMaxx sold exclusively (not branded, but a type TKMaxx sold themselves). They had become faulty, it was less then a month after buying them and the threads had come unraveled, as they were leather it was not so easy to fix and was clearly obvious to see the thread was just too weak to withstand normal use (2ply thread!!).

I had a bank statement but no receipt- I had not planned on taking these back. I was told "no refund, no exchange". I had to explain that no, I am in fact entitled to a full refund in cash due to it being a faulty item, one which was still being sold on the shop floor as we spoke.

The manager did not once make an appearance, they even went back on the CCTV to check that yes, I did in fact pay for these gloves at TK Maxx on the date I said I did (I could recall the day and time). It was then decided as a matter of "a good will gesture" that I would get back the refund.

I was by then so fed up with the then 45 minute wait making several phone call via the customer service desk to the manager (why did the manager not just appear??) that as much as I said it was not a gesture, it was a right, it just fell on deaf ears, I didn't have the energy left to make an issue of it.
  • manufc
    manufc Posts: 330 Forumite
    Primark is atrocious. They wouldn't refund my £9 nail varnish even though they didn't crackle as they said they would, I made a special journey to get a refund and even after speaking to the manager they said no. They said they don't refund cosmetics (although I was never told when purchasing them and it doesn't say on the walls or receipts). The nail varnish should be as described otherwise YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A REFUND no matter what the cashier says, even if you have to take it higher.

I since then wrote a letter to head office with photos attached of how the nail varnish doesn't work and is not as described. The sent a paper envolope for me to return my nail varnishes then, a couple of weeks later, sent a £10 shopping voucher as 'a gesture of good will" HA! it's cost me over £3 in stamps, paper, envolope and ink, never mind the hassle and journey to Primark!
  • fishforsale
    fishforsale Posts: 374 Forumite
    ITS TOOLS

Best service i have recieved so far

when i wanted to return an item, they had a courier come and pick it up, free of charge, the item was faulty, but if your buying tools, you should already know what goes in what

And also, 3 times i rang them, 3 times they picked up within 3 minutes.

USC Clothing: worst possible policy

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM IF YOU ARE UNSURE

they will charge you for product returns, they do not provide refunds in store, only exchanges or gift cards( they went into administration year back i think.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure