The Great 'best and worst shop returns policies' Hunt

Comments

• mumibear
    mumibear Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I agree, I have recently had poor experience of B&Q returns policy which I talked about in another thread. As people at the time pointed out I could have stolen the product/bought it at a carboot etc. Since I didn't though I have vowed not to spend anything more with Kingfisher, who also own Screwfix. I am about to start a 2 storey extension and replace kitchen, bathroom etc, so as the post above suggests restrictive/inflexible exchange policies may lose more than they gain.

Why not just keep the receipts for anything you buy and then you would not have problems taking things back?
  • et
    et Posts: 14 Forumite
    My wife purchased a cardigan at Matalans for £12.00. When she washed it (in a wash bag) it came out with holes in it. The store said they didn't have any more but would replace it with goods to the same value. It is a 24 mile round trip and when my wife took the item to the Customer Service desk, she was told if she couldn't find anything to replace it with, she would be issued with a voucher. My wife found two items (that's my girl!) both at £16.00 and asked if there would be any goodwill considering the distance travelled and the fact she wanted to buy an extra item. The Manageress was called and kindly said they would offer a £5.00 gift voucher as well as the replacement. :j
    Moral of the story - if you don't ask - you will never know!
  • I remember buying a hoover about 15 months ago, and at the till the salesperson said that if when i got home and the hoover was faulty that i could not fetch it back to the store and had to contact the manufacturer directky. My reply in my greatest i dont think so voice wad 'Really, are you sure about that'. Surely it is against the law for this type of action. Needless to say i havent been back to comet since, and i dont intend to. Am sure the business i used to do and persuading about 4 people not to shop there will not hurt them in the slightest, but at least they wont get my custom ever again.
  • Hi all, very interesting to read about B&Q as I had an awful experience with them when I bought a clearly faulty product and they refused to refund it. Long story which I won't bore everyone with but safe to say the experience was frustrating and very time consuming.

Customer service was terrible terrible terrible. Will never ever ever use them again. Found the store manager quite helpful and admitted fault however strangely enough after the complaints line more or less admitted the product was faulty, they then turned around and changed their mind, saying it was my fault and refused compensation.

For such a large company, you would think they would be able to afford such a small amount of money but I guess the individual customer is just not valued. In any case I'll happily spend my money somewhere else instead, if it's not good enough for them!
  • I can't recommend W H Smiths for anything other than papers. I bought a Kobo from them, which developed a fault within 2 weeks and wouldn't switch off. When I took it back to the shop I'd bought it from, I expected to get a straight replacement. The assistant said she'd have to test it first and could I come back in 30 minutes. When I came back, she said I would have to send it to main office (or similar) and then gave me a padded envelope and sticker which I had to fill in and then take to a local post office. She wouldn't accept the parcel itself or return it herself. She didn't seem to see that there were any customer relation issues in me having to waste even more time going to the Post Office.
    Atrocious service for which I gained no positive reply when I contacted W H Smiths directly. So now, I would never ever buy anything technical or expensive from W H Smiths and I would also advise others to go elsewhere.
  • mumibear wrote: »
    Why not just keep the receipts for anything you buy and then you would not have problems taking things back?

The other alternative is to buy online, so the you don't have to keep receipts. Certainly something I will be doing in future. Also gives the extra protection of distance selling regs.

As the OP asked for worst returns policy I would still say B&Q as it was wholly inflexible and has left me wishing to never buy from them again, so can't be that great.

Have always found Amazon easy to return stuff, and also local shops as they are prepared to use a bit of common sense and be flexible depending on the situation.
  • Icm76
    Icm76 Posts: 49 Forumite
    B&Q getting a lot of stick, a lot of it probably deserved, but I've returned a few items to two different stores and had no problem. Think I even did one return without a receipt - so there are some decent human beings working there. Also had some great help and advice from some of the ex tradesmen that work there.

Screwfix got a mention above from someone because it's owned by the same group as B&Q, but Screwfix is quite different. Note that it's a trade counter and you have to have your own account so your full purchase history is on the Screwfix computer system - they know what you bought and when you bought it, both online and in store.
  • stewb
    stewb Posts: 11 Forumite
    matty_art wrote: »
    Sports Direct is atrocious. I changed to return a shirt which had a mark which I didn't notice when purchasing 2 days previously, and they firstly denied it was marked, when I insisted on them comparing with a another in the shelf to prove it marked, they then accused me of marking it myself deliberately, and to add insult to injury, accused me in front of other customers of lying and of having worn it (not that it should even matter) because "smelt like it had been worn" (I had worn it to try it on only).

The whole incident was quite upsetting, and a letter of complaint to Head Office got a muted response; I eventually managed to resolve in another store but I have avoided them like the plague ever since, as they may be cheap but they have a total disregard for their customers; they will try as hard as possible to avoid their statutory duties let alone accepting any return, which is totally against policy.

I had a similar experience wanting a refund on apair of jeans that were clearly not the size the label stated. It got quite heated and eventually I had to settle for a credit. The manager claimed it was head office policy not to give refunds. I pointed out this was against the law and would go to trading standards, but he wasn't bothered. Seemed more in fear of head office. Can anyone from SD confirm this?
  • I have had a bad experience with Amazon, I bought my wife an expensive purse last Christmas, but after six months the zip broke. When I contacted Amazon, they told me that as I had not bought it directly with them, but one of their "Marketplace" suppliers, there was only a three month warranty. When I complained further, I was told "Tough".
    Needless to say I now avoid any "Marketplace" items as this is such a con!
  • gazzebo69 wrote: »
    I remember buying a hoover about 15 months ago, and at the till the salesperson said that if when i got home and the hoover was faulty that i could not fetch it back to the store and had to contact the manufacturer directky. My reply in my greatest i dont think so voice wad 'Really, are you sure about that'. Surely it is against the law for this type of action. Needless to say i havent been back to comet since, and i dont intend to. Am sure the business i used to do and persuading about 4 people not to shop there will not hurt them in the slightest, but at least they wont get my custom ever again.

I don't work for comet but I do work for another retailer and we are actually told by some suppliers not to take the vacuums back as they want to check them themselves. Most vacuums you buy these days even have a sticker on them saying "don't take back to the shop phone xxxxx" It's because a huge number of "faulty" vacuums are actually just blocked or the filter has never been cleaned etc. That said, most shops would replace a faulty one if it's less than a month old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure