The Great 'best and worst shop returns policies' Hunt

Comments

• xadoc
    xadoc Posts: 152 Forumite
    I know this is a cheat but at least it's a fair one - If an item you bought fails but you can't find the receipt you can try buying a new one and then use this receipt to return the faulty one.
    Be fair though, if it's over a year old they can usually tell from the product bath code. Best to check first that they will refund rather than replace or you could end up with two.

I did consider this, but having spoken to the majority of the customer services dept, I would have had to have some chutzpah to then return with a receipt dated minutes earlier. And the petrol wouln't be worth it to do so another day.

I can understand that there are people who try to cheat the system, but the item was clearly brand new faulty and as such was subject to the Sale of Goods Act by LAW. Could not give a f@#* was the attitude of the customer service staff, so, no Super Consumer, they are far from 'Among the Best'.

Don't buy gifts from IKEA unless you're prepared to give the recipient the receipt also, is my advice
  • Currys/PC World have always been notorious in that they completely ignore the fact that your contract is with them, the retailer - not the manufacturer! I had a very long argument with them about this once. Talk about getting blood out of a stone! I got my refund in the end, but at the cost of high blood pressure!
  • RANGE STORE ~ A Nightmare. I recently purchased a pair of pillowcases in sealed packaging. On returning home I realised that the colour was not a good match. I returned to the store with the unopened package for a refund and was directed to a small notice on the shelf edge stating that 'for hygienic reasons no returns would be accepted in this department'. I understand the thinking but having challenged the store manager there were no exceptions to be made and I was told that there were no powers of discretion given to the manager. Beware.
  • unsure
    unsure Posts: 758 Forumite
    I recently bought nearly £1,000 worth of goods from Bathstore for bathroom refurb. When the goods arrived I could see the radiator that arrived was several times the size we'd ordered so we had it replaced wiothout ever taking it out of the box. We took out a shower tray to check how well it would fit in the room and what the best position would be (builde rhad suggested a couple of options). A few days later the builder arrived and said he was concerned the showeer tray was too shallow for the show we'd bought (not from BS) so we decided to return it under he 14 Day Return scheme.
    The shower tray was still in it's original cellophane unmarked, undamamged, perfect condition, but Bathstore refused to take it back because it was not in the original cardboard box...apparetly spelled out in small print on p267 of the brochure. I offered to put it back in another of their boxes or to get a different box myself but they refused, without giving any real reason. Manager said " we can't sell it like that" and when I suggested they just put it in another box he resorted to "terms and conditions" (as above).
    I got the impression they were very happy to have a reason to refuse a return despite boasting of their returns policy (without much detail) on the website and brochure.
    They've cost me a few quid but they've lost a lot of goodwill and I won't be using them again. The smiley salesmanship changes when there's an issue to sort out. If you're thinking of using them beware...and keep every scrap of packaging and paperwork till the job is finished!
    Just because somebody is certain doesn't mean they are right!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Icm76 wrote: »
    I've been told that the issue with having the receipt or proof of purchase is primarily because of shoplifters pinching stuff and then trying to exchange it for store credit - so even if it's a store brand item and the staff can see where it came from, they still don't know if you're a thief. A little depressing, but when it's explained like this you can understand why some stores enforce these policies strictly.

True, and fair enough if it's a discretionary "changing your mind" return, but if you're exercising your statutory rights to e.g. return a faulty item, the shop isn't entitled to demand that you produce their till receipt. At the end of the day all that you'd need to do is convince a court that you bought the item, which you could do with other evidence.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    A credit card statement with the purchase listed might suffice but you might have to wait til that came through on paper or print it out from the web.
  • Jaha2
    Jaha2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Fat Face are brilliant, I bought a top in their sale and it shrank after the first wash, I took it back and they gave me my money back.
  • unsure wrote: »
    The shower tray was still in it's original cellophane unmarked, undamamged, perfect condition, but Bathstore refused to take it back because it was not in the original cardboard box...apparetly spelled out in small print on p267 of the brochure.

This is illegal under the Distance Selling Regulations and has been spelt out recently in an announcement by the Office of Fair Trading, which found that a third of the big online stores they looked out were in breach of the law regarding refunds.

You could complain to the OFT. Alternatively, if the product cost more than £100 and you paid by credit card you could take the issue up with your credit card company. Credit card companies are jointly liable with the retailer under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. On the rare occasions we've had to contact a credit card company they've always been very helpful.
  • I always think that poor returns policies are counterproductive in the long run.

We're paperweight dealers and not only do we give a 60 day money back guarantee, we also refund postage both ways anywhere in the world. As paperweights are heavy and we do a lot of international business this can cost us more than the paperweight is worth, and at first sight seems stark raving mad!

However we're happy about this, and our customers also are, with new ones having more confidence in placing their first order, whilst existing customers stay loyal. So it may not pay off in the short term, but we hope it will in the years to come.
  • more_money_for_me
    more_money_for_me Posts: 260 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2012 at 11:13PM
    PeggyAnn wrote: »
    I always think that poor returns policies are counterproductive in the long run.

We're paperweight dealers and not only do we give a 60 day money back guarantee, we also refund postage both ways anywhere in the world. As paperweights are heavy and we do a lot of international business this can cost us more than the paperweight is worth, and at first sight seems stark raving mad!

However we're happy about this, and our customers also are, with new ones having more confidence in placing their first order, whilst existing customers stay loyal. So it may not pay off in the short term, but we hope it will in the years to come.

I agree, I have recently had poor experience of B&Q returns policy which I talked about in another thread. As people at the time pointed out I could have stolen the product/bought it at a carboot etc. Since I didn't though I have vowed not to spend anything more with Kingfisher, who also own Screwfix. I am about to start a 2 storey extension and replace kitchen, bathroom etc, so as the post above suggests restrictive/inflexible exchange policies may lose more than they gain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure