The Great 'best and worst shop returns policies' Hunt

Comments

• xadoc
    xadoc Posts: 152 Forumite
    N.I.M wrote: »
    B&Q, you must have the receipt, no matter what. Staff member got quite agressive when I suggested an alternative proof of purchase, which I found odd given it was a B&Q own brand item.

Same problem with IKEA. I received a gift for my baby. When I got it out of the packet it had a mark on it. Because I didn't have the receipt (it was a GIFT!!! I had explained this! I even had the 6 week old baby with me!!) despite clearly being an IKEA product, they refused to do anything about it. I spoke to 4 members of staff and a manager at Wednesbury. They were immovable on it. Said I could have bought it off of eBay. :mad:

Needless to say I returned to my husband who'd been walking around the store with our daughter and we left the trolley of intended purchases there and then. Apparently I can get their stuff on eBay, so I will from now on, eBay has a better returns policy!:rotfl:
  • Icm76
    Icm76 Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2012 at 2:10AM
    I've been told that the issue with having the receipt or proof of purchase is primarily because of shoplifters pinching stuff and then trying to exchange it for store credit - so even if it's a store brand item and the staff can see where it came from, they still don't know if you're a thief. A little depressing, but when it's explained like this you can understand why some stores enforce these policies strictly.
  • andy.m_2
    andy.m_2 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Sports direct suck.
    No refunds, period.
    Sealed pot challange no: 339
  • N.I.M wrote: »
    B&Q, you must have the receipt, no matter what. Staff member got quite agressive when I suggested an alternative proof of purchase, which I found odd given it was a B&Q own brand item.

Although it's their product how do they know you bought it there? Sadly too many people try to return E-bay or car boot items or at worse items they've just shop lifted, spoiling it for the honest many. I don't work for B&Q but have experienced this first hand.
  • MSE_Debs wrote: »
    The Great 'best and worst shop returns policies' Hunt

If it isn't faulty, legally you have no right to return goods. While many stores' returns policies go above and beyond this, some won't budge an inch. So we want to use MoneySavers' collective wisdom to find the best and worst policies.

More help: Consumer Rights guide.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]
    The IKEA 90 day change your mind policy is really good and even there there is a certain amount of flexibility to make it even better! Ideally the item should be unopened but if you had to open it to establish it's suitability and it is obviosly in mint condition you may still be able to return it for a refund or refund voucher. (Be nice to the staff to show you're a genuine customer and it will go a long way).

Just remember to take your receipt or proof of purchase as with so many trying to cheat the system returning, E-bay, car boot and shoplifted items it's the only way to protect other customers paying for their dishonesty. Also without a receipt you'll only get the minimum price charged in the recent past which could be less than you paid but without the receipt how do they know what you paid?
    My advice in all cases is be fair but firm and the retailer will be fair back. If not shop elsewhere!
  • Icm76 is correct. The major reason most stores need a receipt is to prove that the goods are actually yours. At this time of year there are people out in the streets in city centres and in shopping centres who target people leaving their shopping on the floor in stores and restaurants etc. They try and distract you so they take your shopping. They then immediately try and return the goods. As a high level retail worker i have seen this numerous times. Do keep your receipt in your wallet / purse and not in the bag!!.
  • I know this is a cheat but at least it's a fair one - If an item you bought fails but you can't find the receipt you can try buying a new one and then use this receipt to return the faulty one.
    Be fair though, if it's over a year old they can usually tell from the product bath code. Best to check first that they will refund rather than replace or you could end up with two.
  • Urban_Chicken
    Urban_Chicken Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2012 at 10:14AM
    I took a bag back to Accessorize as a small bit of stitching had come undone after only a week. I could have sewn it back up myself but had decided I wasn't really that keen on the style by then and thought I could change it for something I liked better. Not only did they offer a full refund without question, they also offered to sell the bag back to me for £1 as they couldn't sell it now it was damaged stock and it would only be thrown away! A couple of stiches and it is good as new but only cost a quid! Result :)
  • working
    working Posts: 213 Forumite
    I'm all for good returns policies - I often use them myself - but I wonder if people consider things from the retailer's point of view? My dad runs a small business and has suffered people bringing back deliberately broken items and items bought from elsewhere! When challenged about this the "customers" get really stroppy!

Sense of entitlement culture methinks.
  • working
    working Posts: 213 Forumite
    dcnc wrote: »
    Icm76 is correct. The major reason most stores need a receipt is to prove that the goods are actually yours. At this time of year there are people out in the streets in city centres and in shopping centres who target people leaving their shopping on the floor in stores and restaurants etc. They try and distract you so they take your shopping. They then immediately try and return the goods. As a high level retail worker i have seen this numerous times. Do keep your receipt in your wallet / purse and not in the bag!!.

Not the mention the shoplifted items they then take back for a cash refund!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure