We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

ooops i've done it again.....more chickens...

Options

Comments

• susy_2
    susy_2 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    That's a great idea - I'll give it a go. I agree with what you say about the Eglu things - that's certainly how the site comes across.

I work with someone who keeps chickens too so I've just managed to have a chat with him about it. Coming out of that, I think I would be able to convert an old shed into a hen house so I could see if there are any going on freecycle.... there seem to have been a few recently!

LOL, I think I have just got your freecycle email :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • catewithers
    Options
    LOL!! I haven't posted it yet!!! But I have to say that there seem to have been a huge glut of people looking for sheds on our Freecycle tonight, including a wanted for a chicken shed!!! Thinking that I might be out of luck!
  • susy_2
    susy_2 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    LOL!! I haven't posted it yet!!! But I have to say that there seem to have been a huge glut of people looking for sheds on our Freecycle tonight, including a wanted for a chicken shed!!! Thinking that I might be out of luck!

And just when we start thinking we are original lol?
  • just-saving
    Options
    i have just found this website......

http://www.pekinbantams.com/eglu.asp

looks as though it will give you a load of advice.....please note.... i have just found this site... so i will be have a nose around too.....lol....

I've been a member of pekinbantams for a while now...quite a good site with lots to read and a forum that has plenty to read too.

The actual eglu site is one that I have used a lot too...the guide and breeds buttons at the very top of the pages give some very handy info .

http://www.omlet.co.uk/homepage/homepage.php

We have made a coop ourselves...just need some chickens now. :D
    Single, free and young (ish) :heartpuls
  • simate
    simate Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options
    This Pekin Bantam salutes you all lol

breeds.jpg
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No cockerel needed - just some hens, you'll only need a cockerel if you want fertilised eggs.
    all you need is some sort of coop/arc & a few chickens, that's it really
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • catewithers
    catewithers Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Ok I've got a small shed that I'm going to convert into a henhouse! Very excited! I understand I need to put some perches in there. Would dowling type wood be suitable and what sort of diameter is best?!
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    Options
    If anyone lives near yalding in kent, the HDRA (Garden Organic) have a dig for victory garden with a chicken-adapted shed in it.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • steady__eddie
    steady__eddie Posts: 1,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Options
    "Ok I've got a small shed that I'm going to convert into a henhouse! Very excited! I understand I need to put some perches in there. Would dowling type wood be suitable and what sort of diameter is best?!"

I used to use whatever was at hand for perches, usually something like a length of 2" by 1" and I'd just round the corners off a little. (Dowel used to cost a few bob when I was a lad). I found that they used to roost together in a group (unless one of them had got a strop on) and if you've got 3 or 4 of them, then you could be talking half a stone or so in weight. The last thing that you want is "the earth moving for them" in the night, it could put them off laying for a while.
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    Ok I've got a small shed that I'm going to convert into a henhouse! Very excited! I understand I need to put some perches in there. Would dowling type wood be suitable and what sort of diameter is best?!

I've got 2x2 [ that'll be 50x50 in new money]withe edges rounded off - my brother uses a tree branch of similar diameter he pruned from a tree in his garden
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure