We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

ooops i've done it again.....more chickens...

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• HappyIdiotTalk
    HappyIdiotTalk Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options

and ducks..... our last duck died a few months ago.....

Sorry to hear that. But could you answer a question for me, do duck eggs taste salty? I'm sure I had one years and years ago, and have a strong memory of it being incredibly salty... However I was talking to a friend recently who was thinking about keeping them, and she was shocked at that, and swore blind they weren't... Could you put me right. Thanks.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • tanyalbeck
    Options
    photo.php?fbid=10150320039569846&set=a.10150319181439846.361675.505269845&type=1&theater

I'm so glad I found this forum!! I've just put 3 new hens (H&N brown Nick, Spekeldy, and a silver link - all hybrids) in the newly purchased and painted chicken house with run attached. I put food and water in as advised. My concerns are:
    1) they did not eat or drink at all in the afternoon when we got them home. we got pellets from the chicken farm they came from. is this normal?
    2) I didn't know how much or the straw/ shavings to put into the house! I put in just enough to cover the floor but they've already brushed it aside and pecked at the floor. is this normal?! or do i need to put a lot of stuff on the bottom for them?
    3) My cat keeps rushing at the house and run and the birds' squawking scares him away. i've been told not to let the girls out of the run for a week or so - will the birds and cat figure it out by then?
    4) the flap on the nesting box has a latch but no padlock. can a fox/ other nightmare open the box and get my girls?!

ALL MSE tips and advice welcome - i like making my own cleaning stuff and toiletries and try to use whatever's already around where possible. for example, we bought a sack of straw and shavings today but in future i may try shredded paper.... any other DIY info would be fab!
    Thanks so much!!!
    Tanya
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Are they being provided with exactly the same food that they had at the farm?
    If they are still not eating today, mix some of the pellets with water and make a mash
    Shredded paper is fine

Foxes are clever and a padlock would be better
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • tanyalbeck
    Options
    thank you ljonski! Can you tell i'm excited?! I love me girls already...
    i gave them a whole variety of food yesterday and today and they're eating the pellets as well as the 'gravy' mash. they've also have a bit of cabbage, banana, and pear! They're generally happy now and have been out in the garden and seem to like it. They've also shown the cat that they won't be messed with...
    However, the Brown Nik clawed hubby today and made him bleed when he put them back in the run (we had to go out!). can you suggest any way of getting them back in from the garden with minimal fuss? We're self employed childminders and have a lot of school/ preschool/ nursery runs so are in and out of the house a lot (I dont want to leave the girls unattended in the garden when out.)
    Tanya x
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Having a handful of yummy treats is a good way of persuading them to go where you want them to go.
    Here is a great site for info and tips for chicken keeping.

http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=4033876afcde350e3ba1406232fad856

This is the main chicken thread for MSE

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4876&highlight=hey+lets+keep+chickens&page=133

Glad you have take n the plunge

Lj
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Malefic_2
    Options
    I started with 4 chickens about three years ago - all bantam pure breeds.
    Now, three years on we have 15 - 3 of the original bantams, together with 2 cream legbars, 7 millie fleur pekin bantams (2 cockerels), 1 bantam cross and 2 blue pekins.

Our garden isn't that big so we went the bantam way so they could still have enough room to do what they want in peace and quiet.

The two boys were hatched together and live happily with each other apart from the normal teenage squabbles - in the evening we pop them into their own part of the house which is a little more soundproof to save the neighbours beating my door down (we do check with them to see if they are still happy and give them some eggs)

Our rabbit also runs round with them and eats with them....

Chickens rock and as has been mentioned, they are extremely addictive!!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll second (or is it third?) the 'addictive'! I also agree about the joys of bantams. I'm a keen gardener and, much as I love having the hens pecking around all day, they can cause damage. With bantams, though, it's minimal damage. Oh yes, and personalities. Bantams make up for their lack of stature by having outsize characters!
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Theres a current chicken thread on Old Style.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family