We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

ooops i've done it again.....more chickens...

Options

Comments

• BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    They don't like being on their own so it is best to get another if you only have the one now.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• mum_of_4
    mum_of_4 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    They really don't like being on their own. I had one on her own after her buddy died, it was two days before I could get another hen. The first night that she had to be in the coup on her own we were so upset she kept jumping up into the roof. You culd hear her banging her head. Tears were rolling down my face.

What helped was a teddy and a radio she was much happier and settled down. My children spent every minute they could with her and she loved it followed us every where. On the Monday I was hanging out the washing and suddenly realised that I couldn't see her, I was looking everywhere, thought we'd lost her. Just poped into the house to see if my toddler was ok and she was happily watching In the Night Garden, when i looked again on the other side of her was the chicken. Sat down with Emerald strocking her looking at the TV.:rolleyes:
    Kind Regards
    Maz

self sufficient - in veg and eggs from the allotment
  • KittyBoo_2
    Options
    mum_of_4 wrote: »
    They really don't like being on their own. I had one on her own after her buddy died, it was two days before I could get another hen. The first night that she had to be in the coup on her own we were so upset she kept jumping up into the roof. You culd hear her banging her head. Tears were rolling down my face.

What helped was a teddy and a radio she was much happier and settled down. My children spent every minute they could with her and she loved it followed us every where. On the Monday I was hanging out the washing and suddenly realised that I couldn't see her, I was looking everywhere, thought we'd lost her. Just poped into the house to see if my toddler was ok and she was happily watching In the Night Garden, when i looked again on the other side of her was the chicken. Sat down with Emerald strocking her looking at the TV.:rolleyes:
    What a lovely story.
    I know I am attached to mine even though I don't call them by name. My brothers' grandchildren named them Alice and Angelina.
    When I go out in the garde they come to meet me and love it when I am digging the veg plot.
    I love them and think they are really nice to have in the garden (or house in your case mum of 4)
    NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
    Food
    £73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
    Petrol £20/£40
    Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
    Debt :eek: £18,917
  • windowshopper100
    Options
    Can't add anything to what's been said before about introducing new chickens - there is no easy way and there will be noise and argeybargey.

I would just say make sure the new girls can always get to food and especially water. Our older girl was such a cow to the two (yes, she made life miserable for 2 new ones) she would body-block the feeder so we put some food in the corner where they felt safest. All one big happy family now though.

Yes, a single bird does pine. That's why we've got 3 now, so there's not such a panic to replace a bird when the worst happens.

Cheers
    WS
  • DON79
    DON79 Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, have a couple of questions about keeping chickens.

We live in Northamptonshire but we do live in a town, on a housing estate with a medium/largish sized garden with plenty room to set up a coop and run.

My question is - if we do get about four chickens, is it likely to cause any objections either from the council or from neighbours? Are there any legalities we should be aware of in getting chickens given that we do have houses with gardens which back onto ours?

Have seen the link for the chicken rehoming and would love to have taken part for january but don't have the coop set up. And my OH has already arranged with his brother to get chickens from him. But I will work on him before March and see if can persuade him to rehome a few needy ex battery hens instead.

Hope someone can answer my questions, thank you.

Donna :D
    BSC #215/No.1 Jan 09 Club
  • princess_loki
    Options
    hi donna,

i also live in northampton and have been wondering about getting chickens. my worry is that with the largest garden on our block there are 8 other gardens that join on to mine so potential for neighbours complaints is there.

one other thing i was wondering is how noisy they are!

i would love to find out more about rehoming battery hens and will look out for other replies on this thread

cheers for raising this question

loki x
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!! :kisses3:
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    Chickens don't cause any smell and really only make a bit of noise when they are 'talking' to you. You could always soften your neighbours with free eggs!
    I got 4 chooks back in July and I love then to bits.
  • mum_of_4
    mum_of_4 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    They don't really make much noise. When they lay they like everyone to know how clever they have been. Normal chicken chat is hardly noisey.

2 or 3 hens would be fine. If you've got children or dogs in the area i don't see it should be an issue. Mt hens made far.far less noise than my neighbours dogs.
    Kind Regards
    Maz

self sufficient - in veg and eggs from the allotment
  • DON79
    DON79 Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Options
    mum_of_4 wrote: »
    2 or 3 hens would be fine. If you've got children or dogs in the area i don't see it should be an issue.

Well we already have got two children plus two dogs, a chinchilla and couple of fish tanks - a proper menagerie! and that is before the chickens come! :D
    BSC #215/No.1 Jan 09 Club
  • 1sue23
    1sue23 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    Options
    I live near to a town on a 1930s housing estate and keep 4 chickens and have done for 4 years ,my garden backs onto another garden and chickens are kept there also ,so far no complaints ,any noise they do make is very pleasant and is quite relaxing on a summers day ,I clean mine out once a week in the winter ,and clear out the chicken poo daily in the summer and a good clean weekly ,in the summer when my veg are growing they are kept in an area at the back of my garage ,and in the winter they have the whole garden clearing the area of pests You need to make sure their wings are clipped as they will try and venture in to other gardens ,mine have been adopted by a guinea fowl and he is very noisy ,but so far he does not seem to bother anyone .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport