We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

ooops i've done it again.....more chickens...

Options

Comments

• mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, what a hen!

See - they're like little zen masters, I reckon!

:j
  • raa_thistle
    raa_thistle Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    My parents have had some chucks for about 8 months now. They got them off my Auntie who keeps about 8. I don't know what breed they are, but we are trying to hatch some chicks ourselves now - one of the hens went broody and is now sitting on 3 eggs. Hope they come out, but we don't hold out much hope as they are only just over a year old.

Anyway, here's our cockerel, Charlie;

Charlie8x12small.jpg

Anyone know what he is? His feet are feathered btw, and they are bantam sized.
  • Leopardlady
    Leopardlady Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    I too would love chickens, only a couple! But live in the middle of Swindon, have dug up the lawn for a veg patch now only have the patio left? Not great for the chucks? Any guidance accepted!
    Thanks
    Leopardlady
    Got married on the 26th April 08!!!!!!!:j:T

Bumpy Bean was due 20th Nov 2010, born 15th Nov :j:j:T
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    Options
    I too would love chickens, only a couple! But live in the middle of Swindon, have dug up the lawn for a veg patch now only have the patio left? Not great for the chucks? Any guidance accepted!
    Thanks

Many allotments allow you to keep chickens. Or you could think of doing some container gardening for vegetables, and reclaiming a patch of earth in your garden proper for chucks. So your rotations looks like Chucks -> potatoes -> legumes -> brassicas.

Hint : don't get a male:)
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • Leopardlady
    Options
    Thanks Tomterm8

I have some of my veg ptch as just bare mud at the moment and have thought i could let some chucks (girls only!) have that space, just got to work out if i can afford a coop and run!
    Leopardlady

• tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Tomterm8

I have some of my veg ptch as just bare mud at the moment and have thought i could let some chucks (girls only!) have that space, just got to work out if i can afford a coop and run!

If you are at all good at carpentry, you can add a perch to a rabit hutch and use a rabit run. A three sided box with a liftable roof is good enough for a nest box.

Post a "wanted" on freecycle or your local paper for the rabit hutch.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • Leopardlady
    Options
    Thanks, i will have a go on freecycle and see what happens, I will be back to keep you informed!
    Especially at how crazy my OH will be at this idea!
    Leopardlady

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My parents have had some chucks for about 8 months now. They got them off my Auntie who keeps about 8. I don't know what breed they are, but we are trying to hatch some chicks ourselves now - one of the hens went broody and is now sitting on 3 eggs. Hope they come out, but we don't hold out much hope as they are only just over a year old.

Charlie8x12small.jpg

Don't know what he is, but he is handsome!

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Charlie8x12small.jpg

with out actually seling the whole chicken ..he looks and sounds like a pekin.....which are the same as my baby chicks on the first page......
    Work to live= not live to work
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Crikey, your kitchen must be *hot as Hades* :eek: :eek: . Chicks need a constant 100F / 38C to develop, so that's some warm kitchen :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Penny. x

the egg can still part develop whithout reach those temps....as if you think about it ...when the egg is incubated by a broady hen.... there are dips in the temp...so not quite as constant as an incubator.....

the egg will never totally develop ....hence i have never heard of an egg actually hatching out..... but it has started developing.....
    Work to live= not live to work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport