We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Where is the best place to get measured for a bra?

Options

Comments

• Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Neiliboy wrote: »
    I'm a fella and i'm finding this thread thoroughly fascinating!! :D:D:D

Glad I'm not the only one! :rotfl:

I've got fairly big hands and can quite accurately guess cup sizes! ;)
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • veruccasalt
    veruccasalt Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Clear off, pervs!

I have tried many places in the past, M&S, John Lewis and Debs and some local branches. I also worked in M&S as a Saturday superviser as a teenager, and was trained to measure for bras.

I would actually recommend measuring your self. Its quite simple and obviously stress free. If you look at any catalogue, you will see how to do it, and you can jot the measurements down that you need and work it out later. All you need is a measuring tape, and I would recommend a full length mirror. A bit of practise and you will soon get a good idea for yourself.
    “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.” Charles M Schulz
  • wbk666
    wbk666 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    FloFlo wrote: »
    I am fed up with my bras not fitting properly, so where is the best place to get measured

No smut please!;)

around the chest?

sorry i couldn't resist.
    apologies if anyone else has already stooped so low:D
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A mans perspective (sure it counts here...;)) - bravissimo is by far the best place to get measured. There's actually some place for me to sit and a magazine to read.

Beats loitering in debs with old grannies looking at me like I'm a perv and shaking their heads in disapproval...
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bravissimo is by far the best place to get measured

I have read that their products are very good (not cheap) but they don't seem to cater for the smaller cup sizes.
  • keasden
    keasden Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    I once went for a job as a bra fitter.

It was £5 an hour but I had to give it a miss as I couldn't afford to offer them any more !!
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    vixarooni wrote: »
    haha, this is quite amusing, i am a 20 year old bra fitter with no boobs :(
    This is why cathy (who is in her late fortys) is better at fitting in general because she can speak the truth and the person she is fitting doesnt mind. I cant say to a lady of 50 that her boobs are sagging and that a wonderbra is the worst bra she could ever opt for! Not at my age anyway.

I've got no problem with someone younger advising me, but she was just plain patronising!!! At one point she said 'You really do need help, don't you'. Also she kept cooing at me (them?!), like you would over a baby. What was that about?!!!

Scarily enough, my 'not boyfriend but not just a friend' can tell what size a woman is just by looking (and possibly a bit of the other). Bit too much experience me thinks?! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • LizzieandThomas
    Options
    I have to say that the worst place i have ever got measured is contesa !

I always found debenhams very good.

I have been meaning to go and get measured for ages - how often do they recomend you go ?

Im 18 weeks pregnant and dread what size i will be by the end - was wearing a 36e before i got pregnant !
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think there is a hard and fast rule as to how often to go, probably more to do with if your body is changing (and if you are 18 weeks, I imagine you need to go ... now!).

I heard of a lady that went up to an L cup when she was pregnant ... I wonder if she could see her bump?!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    I have been meaning to go and get measured for ages - how often do they recomend you go ?

Im 18 weeks pregnant and dread what size i will be by the end - was wearing a 36e before i got pregnant !

if you are pregnant then you should go as soon as your bra feels too small or is not giving you enough support. Anything to stave off the dreaded stetchmarks, I really cannot emphasise that enough as your body will go through many changes. As is my pervious post - get some bra extenders to give you some extra bra life. After 20 weeks they tend to stay around the same until you get near the end and then you might get another growth spurt.

I was a J cup and I have had customers that are an M cup - however the L cup in maternity and nursing bras is really a HH cup so it is not so bad - if you know what I mean :)

Thereare decent nursing bras from Freya available now to an H cup so the market is realising that ladies with bigger boobs do have babies and need decent upport and nursing bras!! You have to wonder and the number of ladies who struggle with nursing bras in bigger sizes really would surprise you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport