Where is the best place to get measured for a bra?

Options

Comments

• Soma
    Soma Posts: 699 Forumite
    Options
    I find that Beatties are excellent. they sell teh more expensive bras like chantelle and if you are lucky they are sometimes on sale at half price. The measurers even tell what type of bra you suit eg. balcony etc.
  • bucksliz
    bucksliz Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    John Lewis every time for me. Had a bad experience in M & S and will never go back
  • smileitconfusespeople_2
    Options
    :T
    pinkgem wrote: »
    Since I watched a programme the other evening about large breasted ladies I have also realised I am wearing the wrong sized bra.

They showed one of them being measured correctly at Rigby & Peller and the girl ended up being a completely different bra size to what she thought she was.

My bras are mostly size 36D with a few 34D, but after seeing the programme and reading the figleaves bra fitting book mentioned above (which can be downloaded free of charge) I think that my cup size is too small and the band is too big.

It says size 10 or 12's are unlikely to need a 36 band bra. I am a size 12 and mostly wear 36D bras...

My bra doesn't sit flush with my rib cage, the rear band is too high and i sometimes get a bulge on the front where the cup is too small.

It sounds like I may actually be around a 34DD, but I won't know until I try some different sized bras or get measured properly.

If I have to purchase a load of new bras I am not sure what to do with my wrong sized ones, as I have at least 10-15 bras in 34D and 36D all in excellent condition, some barely worn, but I don't think you can sell them on ebay as they would be classed as used underwear which is not allowed. It seems such a waste as I would imagine they cost me around £200-£300 in total.

:confused: Hi ya I have brought and sold bra's on Ebay one of the Bra's i loked cost £36.00 a fantasie bra from Allders i got from Ebay for £ 9.00 so give it a try :rotfl: :j
    Don't sweat the small stuff, Its all small stuff.
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Options
    The best thing I have discovered in recent years (apart from ceramic hair straighteners) is the Tshirt bras with gravity-defying firm cups - whjat a great invention!

I got measured for a bra once, and the fitter told me that the different styles are not exactly the same size - so you may be 34C in one style and 36B in another. I also got measured for nursing bras when pregnant - total waste of time as you have no idea what size they will reach, as the fitter acknowledged!

I dont see the point in getting measured - just go in the changing room with several different sizes in the same style and you can soon see which is the right one.
  • Bettyboop
    Bettyboop Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    Hi FloFlo, I would give John Lewis a go. They are very professional and will even bring a selection of bra's to the dressing room for you to try on.

For God knew in His great wisdom

That he couldn't be everywhere,
    So he put His little Children
    In a loving mother's care.
  • Stompydebs
    Stompydebs Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    i took my daughter to BHS..really helpful and discreet,,,,
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    Wasn't there something in Martin's newsletter about donating bras to charity?
  • achtunglady
    achtunglady Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    Options
    vixarooni wrote: »
    i would say rigby and peller by far.

Plus, m and s measure your cup size by a tape measure - its highly inacurate.

Tape measure inaccurate? How do they measure then? Hope they have warm and large hands for me :rotfl:
    And yes the lady in the avatar is me

Slimming World started 12/5/11 : Starting weight 12st 3lb
    Hoping to get to 9 stone by September 2011

Wk1 -1lb Wk2 -2lb Wk3 +0.5lb Wk4 STS
  • moneylover
    moneylover Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    my vote is for John Lewis they have never let me down. I first went there in my teens when I was a 32A and still go there now 40 years later when I am a 34DD (not enhanced- just the mysteries of the menapause!) - I have never had a bra that was not a good fit. The staff just keep going until they find something that works for you. They have endless patience, know their stock and are very well trained. As in Rigby and Peller you can have a long wait for it to be your turn.
    I have tried Rigby and Peller but their bra cost me £60 and was no better than the range I am currently wearing from John Lewis that cost £25.
    I usually go to John Lewis when I am in London but have been to lots of their other stores with equal success. Once I have a new bra from them I usually then buy the same one mail order a couple of times or more until the manufacturer no longer does the particular style - then I go shopping again!
  • nunusmum
    nunusmum Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    ann summers they were excellent and came back with 2 bras that exactly fit my shape wow thank god for knicker box lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure