Global nappy shortage fears after factory explosion

Options
124»

Comments

• fawd1
    fawd1 Posts: 715 Forumite
    Options
    Also, just to point out that website is rubbish. I just went on and out of curiousity decided to look at what it though I would be charged for a loft conversion. Apparently £27,000. Must tell my builder who's quoted 7.5k that he's missing a trick.
  • VikkiiKawaii
    Options
    fawd1 wrote: »
    I spend nowhere near £48 per month on nappies. More like 15-20. I buy a bulk box and that usually lasts me at least 5 weeks. They're usually on for about £18.

Neither do I!! I get Aldi nappies and one pack at £4.99 easily lasts me a week if not longer! If you do the math it costs me £21 odd not £48!!
    :j Tehya Baby DD 22/03/2012 :j
    Sealed Pot Member #1842
    Wins 2013: £10, Necklace, Pringles Speaker, Hairdryer, Snoozeshade, Baby Sling, :)

• rach83
    rach83 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is going off topic slightly but to be honest I don't see why nappies can't be made so they are biodegradable. Carrier bags biodegrade (a Mr T one has recently been reduced to confetti like plastic in my cupboard) and said bag had only been in there for a couple of years.

As nappies are today (I tend to use Huggies SuperDry) they are much better than they were say 20 years ago when they were really "plasticky".
  • Mindless_Clone
    Options
    rach83 wrote: »
    I know this is going off topic slightly but to be honest I don't see why nappies can't be made so they are biodegradable.

You can actually buy compostable nappies: http://www.spiritofnature.co.uk/category/baby-child-and-toys/nappies/

The degree to which they can be composted varies and, obviously, they are more expensive.

I used the odd Nature Baby one alongside the washables. :)
    "So long and thanks for all the fish" :hello:
  • SusanC_2
    SusanC_2 Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Naf wrote: »
    We bought reusables, and found them to be useless. Still got them though; perhaps we'll need them.

These days there is very little economical benefit to reusables over disposables. The initial outlay is horrendous for a start, and you have to buy more & more every 3-6 months. While you may save something in the long run (especially with more than one child); many on benefits would struggle to buy them in the first place.
    Depends what you use - I started out using terry squares which are pretty cheap. (I don't use them as nappies any more because since I do elimination communication, I don't need such large capacity so I now use a few muslins and a some cheap flannels from Ikea.) Terry squares are also much more convenient from a drying point of view - we were given a few of the other type (no idea what they are but they're made of towel type material and are shaped like a disposable) and they took a ridiculous amount of time to dry without a dryer compared to the terry squares. We recently used disposables for a few weeks and I reckon we spent about as much on them than we did on all the washables (excluding the washing of them) with my eldest.
    Sorry, but those figures are vastly exaggerated, no way would you use 12 nappies on a 0-4 month old or 10 nappies on a 4-6 month old on a regular basis. Perhaps if they had a poorly tum, but not day in, day out, you just wouldn't change nappies every 2 hours 24 hours a day.
    Really? How often do people change nappies then? (My almost four month old does about 24 wees a day so I'd have thought 12 was quite a reasonable changing frequency but I have no idea what is typical.)
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
  • sazziecee
    Options
    I use cloth nappies/reusables but I don't try and "convert" anyone, it was my decision, I worked out the costs, bought things in advance and in offers and I am sure it HAS saved me money overall, especially as now I am pregnant again and the nappies will be getting reused (except for perhaps my pretty girly ones as baby could be a boy!)

I go to a toddler group and 7 of us sit together, 2 of the babies are in cloth and 5 in disposables, me and the other mum have never tried to sell the idea of cloth to the others, if they want to try them,then they will :)

Washing wise, the machine is on every day but I do a 30 minute "rinse" and then wash other things like towels and beddings in with my nappies at a 40 wash,so its not actually that many extra washes. Previously my washer was going on, with half loads as I didnt have enough whites or pales to make up a load, so I would say its about the same really.

I use disposables on occasion, when my daughter had a tummy bug and was going through 10-12 nappies a day (at 13 months) and when we shared a holiday cottage with friends who were a bit squeamish about sharing the washing machine if we washed nappies in it, but on our holiday to Spain I used my cloth nappy wraps, with disposable (unbleached) inserts

x
  • Elsewhere
    Options
    Eskimos used to use spagnum moss for nappies didn't they? There's plenty of the stuff pretending to be our lawn if anyone wants to harvest it :D
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    You can actually buy compostable nappies: http://www.spiritofnature.co.uk/category/baby-child-and-toys/nappies/

The degree to which they can be composted varies and, obviously, they are more expensive.

I used the odd Nature Baby one alongside the washables. :)

I use the Naty ones (by Nature Baby). They're the same price as Pampers/Huggies. Obviously not as cheap as supermarket own but they're no more expensive than 'premium' nappies.

I don't use them just because they're a bit more environmentally friendly - I genuinely find them the best too.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • my3girls
    Options
    Not good news here!

Used to have dd3 is reusables but due to her bowel condition she is almost 4 and we can go through up to 15 nappies a day, so we have disposables now

I do think in normal circumstances that re-usables are manageable for most families; think they still have a bit of old fashioned stigma to them sometimes in regards to how they look/work and bleaching, soaking & boiling which isn't the case now.

That said,I wouldn't be able to manage 105 nappies a week! :-o

JJ
    X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills