Global nappy shortage fears after factory explosion

Options

Comments

• Mrs.W_2
    Mrs.W_2 Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pressure will now increase on the company's other production facilities to meet the shortfall.
    Good to see the shortfall will be covered by other employees pushed to work harder and longer with potentially dangerous chemicals, in order to prevent anyone from saving money and landfill space with reuseable nappies.
  • leandygandy
    Options
    My daughter is one this week and I'd love to be able to say that I'd put her in washables. However, we live in a second floor one bedroom flat where getting even a normal washload dry is tricky, there is absolutely no way we could cope with the burden of more washing than we have now. Space is at a premium, the washer was here when we moved in so now choice for washer/dryer until that dies, and no space for a separate tumbler. It we were to use washables we'd have to have the heating on full blast to get things dried in a reasonable time, not very MSE. (though I do feel bad about the landfill aspect of disposables, i agree theyre dreadful for the environment but there's very little I can do about it right now)

And as for cost, meh. If the price goes up I'll have to pay it and cut back elsewhere, I'll not leave my daughter crawling round in her own dirt or put her in a brand of nappy that she doesn't get on with.
  • VikkiiKawaii
    Options
    My daughter is one this week and I'd love to be able to say that I'd put her in washables. However, we live in a second floor one bedroom flat where getting even a normal washload dry is tricky, there is absolutely no way we could cope with the burden of more washing than we have now. Space is at a premium, the washer was here when we moved in so now choice for washer/dryer until that dies, and no space for a separate tumbler. It we were to use washables we'd have to have the heating on full blast to get things dried in a reasonable time, not very MSE. (though I do feel bad about the landfill aspect of disposables, i agree theyre dreadful for the environment but there's very little I can do about it right now)

And as for cost, meh. If the price goes up I'll have to pay it and cut back elsewhere, I'll not leave my daughter crawling round in her own dirt or put her in a brand of nappy that she doesn't get on with.

Same here. Its bad enough getting clothes dried here, takes between one and two days.
    :j Tehya Baby DD 22/03/2012 :j
    Sealed Pot Member #1842
    Wins 2013: £10, Necklace, Pringles Speaker, Hairdryer, Snoozeshade, Baby Sling, :)

• Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    People like to make excuses about the cost and the environmental impact of reusables. I bought 36 terry nappies (£40), a pack of nippers, 3 wraps and made my own fleece liners. I do approx 2 extra washes a week (at 40 degrees using soap nuts) and air dry them indoors on one slim airer. They take about a day to dry at worst (ie this time of year when its not warm, but not yet cold enough for heating to be on).
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in a 2 bed flat, and have no drier. I rarely have the heating on either. I dont think it matters which nappies you choose but if you wanted to give washables a go its not as hard as its made out to be. I do an extra 2 washes a week. xx
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    And for those who genuinely can't wash and dry their own nappies, there are also nappy laundering services. For a lot of these, you don't even have to pay the initial cost of purchasing nappies, as the nappies and wraps are provided by the service and used ones are collected at agreed intervals throughout the week and replaced with clean sanitised ones.

Though I used a fluffy quick dry nappy with a separate outer wrap, and it was virtually dry when it came out of the machine, and used to be completely dry in less than an hour over an airer.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt the world will run out of nappies - there must be more in warehouses, shop shelves, people's houses, changing bags than are currently needed to keep dry every baby in the world's bottom until production's back to normal :D

However, a drop in supply might push prices up, so it might be wise to stock up.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • HeadAboveWater
    Options
    My friend got all her stuff from this website when she had her first daughter a couple years ago. She had daughter number 2 a few months ago and only had to buy a couple bits to 'top up'. Saves a fortune!!!!!

And to fawd1 who commented on them being hard work and their washing machine being on every day etc etc, OH has 3 daughters, all in their teens, and we have to do 1 load of washing a day!! Sometimes 2... :eek:
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • Mrs_Imp
    Mrs_Imp Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    I must be a very bad mummy then, because I too use disposables. In terms of practicalities and cost it is better for us.
    Our washing machine already goes on once a day, and in winter all our drying space is taken up with clothes, so we'd have nowhere to dry reusables. Our dining room already resembles a laundry rather than a place to eat!!
    Cost was a factor too. We don't have a lot of spare money, so we simply couldn't afford to pay out for the reusables starter packs to make sure we had enough nappies. They may be cheaper in the long run, but we didn't have the money upfront to get started.
    A friend of mine had the same problem, so she compromised and went for biodegradable nappies. The convenience of disposables without being a burden on landfill.
  • aeb_2
    aeb_2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe this will encourgae more people to use washables & stop the landfill waste with plastics that don't degrade for ages... Can only be a good thing.

To all those who think washables are hard work - they are not! You can even make your own nappies & just buy the outer waterproof wraps so very :money:.

My thoughts exactly, well said.

I had 4 in washable nappies (triplets + 2 yr old) and can honestly say it took no longer than disposables to change them all. Straight in the bucket then in the washing machine every night. Then either on the line or the dryer (the type that goes up and down with a pulley) in the morning. I can hang them all up in 5 to 6 mins. My washing machine is 6 years old and going strong and I don't own a tumble dryer. I do have a woodburner on most of the time which is great for drying.

aims for 2014 - grow more fruit and veg, declutter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport