Second Purse Challenge Thread #2

Options

Comments

• hollieinbloom
    hollieinbloom Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tatty, I'm quite new to it all too but just getting my head round it. I'm moving house next weekend and haven't been able to take advantage of many offers as we have no room to put anything which is annoying! But just make a list of the things you usually use (look in your cupboards maybe?) and see what sort of stuff doesn't perish quickly. So tinned items, dried foods, freezer foods that get used often and drink items too. Then when you are in the shops and see these items on offer, buy lots!. So for example....Teabags, if they are on offer and you know you use them everyday then stock up on a few boxes. Everything eventually comes back round on offer again so don't go too mad!

This is what I've been doing. I got some great offers on some washing conditioner in morrisons and some lunch box bits that have good dates. I just cannot wait to move to our bigger house! :) x x

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Tatty, I'm quite new to it all too but just getting my head round it. I'm moving house next weekend and haven't been able to take advantage of many offers as we have no room to put anything which is annoying! But just make a list of the things you usually use (look in your cupboards maybe?) and see what sort of stuff doesn't perish quickly. So tinned items, dried foods, freezer foods that get used often and drink items too. Then when you are in the shops and see these items on offer, buy lots!. So for example....Teabags, if they are on offer and you know you use them everyday then stock up on a few boxes. Everything eventually comes back round on offer again so don't go too mad!

This is what I've been doing. I got some great offers on some washing conditioner in morrisons and some lunch box bits that have good dates. I just cannot wait to move to our bigger house! :) x x

Thanks Hollie. :)

I haven't had chance to buy any bargains since I joined this challenge, however, I have started making a list of the bargains I have bought recently, showing full price and the price I bought them at. So I'm hoping I can use this as starting stock+ the £10 I was originally going to start with-if that makes sense.
    Does everyone buy their stuff back at full price? I was thinking of buying it all back at £1 per item, but don't know how practical this is?
    For example if I have something that is £1.00 full price and I buy it for 50 p when I use it I will buy it back for £1.
    When I buy something for £2 and it should be £4 I'll buy that for £1 too.
    Your thoughts please-TIA
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    tattycath wrote: »
    Thanks Hollie. :)

I haven't had chance to buy any bargains since I joined this challenge, however, I have started making a list of the bargains I have bought recently, showing full price and the price I bought them at. So I'm hoping I can use this as starting stock+ the £10 I was originally going to start with-if that makes sense.
    Does everyone buy their stuff back at full price? I was thinking of buying it all back at £1 per item, but don't know how practical this is?
    For example if I have something that is £1.00 full price and I buy it for 50 p when I use it I will buy it back for £1.
    When I buy something for £2 and it should be £4 I'll buy that for £1 too.
    Your thoughts please-TIA

The good thing about the 2nd Purse is its yours , to bend and shape into something that works for you!!!
    I've tried many different ways of doing it, and the truth is there's no wrong way.
    The magic happens as you build up your stock, you will see your weekly shopping bill go down as your stock goes up. And the money shifts from one purse to the other, eventually spilling over into the 3rd purse for treats and things on your wish list.
    I've just bought two smart TV's for the bedrooms, I spent around £620 from the 3rd purse on them and I've still got money in it.
    So this year I've had a new Fridge freezer, a chest freezer and the two smart TV's.
    My wee ISA now stands @ £6800, I managed to put an extra £200 in this month. Thats all money that the Big boys would have had over the past two years. Although I've always done the 2nd purse, I was frittering away the money I was saving, mainly on convenience foods from M&S mainly. I don't buy much of that nowadays. I do everything from scratch. I buy the bulk of our meat from Donald Russell , but none of their prepared meals, (tried them, not impressed). We are eating better than we ever have, mainly due to the fact I used all the profits in the 3rd Purse for a long time to build up my freezer stock.

I promise you this if you can stick with it, you will always have money in one purse or the other, and you will never run out of anything.

Sorry I've not been updating my signature. I'm about a year or more behind with it. I'm very busy, but I read all your posts and I'm here for all of you if you need me.

Love and Light to you all xxxx
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,904 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Wise words from Mothership as always :A

tattycath - I agree that it's up to you what you charge when buying stock from your 'shop'. If you want to charge a nominal £1 per item I don't see why that wouldn't work. Probably much easier tbh!!

Going to settle up with my 2nd purse tomorrow and will update as usual.

Have a good evening everyone
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert 14/24
  • tattycath
    Options
    Mothership wrote: »
    The good thing about the 2nd Purse is its yours , to bend and shape into something that works for you!!!
    I've tried many different ways of doing it, and the truth is there's no wrong way.
    The magic happens as you build up your stock, you will see your weekly shopping bill go down as your stock goes up. And the money shifts from one purse to the other, eventually spilling over into the 3rd purse for treats and things on your wish list.
    I've just bought two smart TV's for the bedrooms, I spent around £620 from the 3rd purse on them and I've still got money in it.
    So this year I've had a new Fridge freezer, a chest freezer and the two smart TV's.
    My wee ISA now stands @ £6800, I managed to put an extra £200 in this month. Thats all money that the Big boys would have had over the past two years. Although I've always done the 2nd purse, I was frittering away the money I was saving, mainly on convenience foods from M&S mainly. I don't buy much of that nowadays. I do everything from scratch. I buy the bulk of our meat from Donald Russell , but none of their prepared meals, (tried them, not impressed). We are eating better than we ever have, mainly due to the fact I used all the profits in the 3rd Purse for a long time to build up my freezer stock.

I promise you this if you can stick with it, you will always have money in one purse or the other, and you will never run out of anything.

Sorry I've not been updating my signature. I'm about a year or more behind with it. I'm very busy, but I read all your posts and I'm here for all of you if you need me.

Love and Light to you all xxxx
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wise words from Mothership as always :A

tattycath - I agree that it's up to you what you charge when buying stock from your 'shop'. If you want to charge a nominal £1 per item I don't see why that wouldn't work. Probably much easier tbh!!

Going to settle up with my 2nd purse tomorrow and will update as usual.

Have a good evening everyone
    Coxy

Thank you both for your wise words. I'm looking forward to this. :)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
  • tattycath
    Options
    Right. As my target is £500 for Christmas I thought I had better start the challenge with £20 instead of 10. I have already included stock I bought in about a week ago. I have been shopping tonight with the £20 in my second purse. So I've just got to add up the values of actual stock and how much I paid for it.
    I'll be back. :)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
  • Ess-six
    Ess-six Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Well after a horrendous 18 months where I lost my dad, had mum very ill (she’s on the mend now) and my whole life just drifting I need to pull myself together and get back on track with the 2nd purse, the GC, and loads of other things).

I was doing really well and seeing the benefits of the system but nowadays seem to have so much less time for everything – I can’t let it continue. I was member #21 back when the challenge first started. Part of the problem is that I hardy have time to go online and read posts as I work full-time and a chunk of my evenings is spent keeping mum company, but I’ve decided to do what I can - try and catch-up with posts on my mobile and the bus etc.

I need to get back to menu planning instead of picking random things up at the supermarket (and then having nothing to make a meal from), sort out my food cupboards and stockpile – I still buy multiples of basics when on offer, but haven’t been recording what I’ve spent, saved or have got.

I think that having a Dropbox account will help as it means I’ll be able to update my spreadsheets at work in my lunch hour rather than having to do it all on my laptop when I’m at home .

I could do with a life makeover really – or for everyone to stop what they’re doing for a month so that I can a) get some good quality sleep and therefore a bit more energy, b) de-clutter everything and get some systems back in place and c) take it from there.

One of the things I was about to do before I stopped 2nd pursing was to start buying meat from Donald Russell – I seem to remember that there was some sort of referral system, is this still the case or do I wait for an offer to be posted? I’m not quite ready to place or order yet though as I have to get my freezer levels down!

Sorry for the long post, I’m hoping that putting this all in writing will help me focus and also commit to getting started, and carrying on.
  • hollieinbloom
    Options
    sorry to hear that Ess-six. Must be hard for you juggling everything. I hope you can get back into the second purse again. I've just started out and already seeing the results. I'm actually weirdly proud of my stock and go and look at it...just to look! lol.

I need to go to town today to pop into a few shops for some bargain hunting!! x x

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,904 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 July 2013 at 2:18PM
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Ess-six - sorry to hear what you've been through. Nice to see you back posting. I always order DR meat through Quidco, they usually have offers on free postage (usually you have to spend £80) plus cashback. Good luck with getting back into 2nd pursing - baby steps, as you seem to have enough on your plate already xx

My weekly update is that I've used £24.80 of stock this week, which means I can transfer some money into 3rd purse (finally).

Current totals:
    2nd purse: £50/£50
    3rd purse: £71.32
    Stock total: £184.20

Have a good week everyone.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert 14/24
  • alibo100
    alibo100 Posts: 98 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can someone explain Donald Russell for me. It looks expensive. How does it work for the second purse challenge?
    Second Purse Challenge
    1st purse £70 per week, 2nd purse £0/£50, 3rd Purse £177/100 banked £37 (14) £206('13)
    :eek:Debt Total[STRIKE]£11779[/STRIKE] £3000 :o Plus [STRIKE]£3200[/STRIKE] £2400 to family
    :TGoal 2 years to pay off - June [STRIKE]2015[/STRIKE] 2016 :T
    Paid off so far - Sept 13 £1131 Nov 14 £2423 Sept15 paid myCC's!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure