Second Purse Challenge Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Tenyearstogo
    Tenyearstogo Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    None of you talked me out of it so I ordered a freezer last night and it's coming on Wednesday. :j:j:j

I ordered it from Next (with cashback) so I can buy giftcards from Tesco to pay it back. Tesco give you 150 clubcard points for every £50 gift card you buy. I'll use those points for days out so this works out the cheapest option!

I bought breakfast bars at Sainsburys today. They're half price and hubby has them everyday.
  • alibo100
    alibo100 Posts: 98 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm having a dilemma. It's the husbands fault.

I'm aiming for a freezer with my second purse profits, so today I was browsing online to get an idea of model and price.

I Found the one I liked so told him about it at dinner. We were eating 75p YS chicken thighs. He then mentioned the irony of how it will be easier to save money by buying the YS meat and freezing it once we actually have the freezer.

So shall I buy the freezer on my credit card now and pay it off with my second purse savings?

Wow I would have said don't do it save up, but looks like you have thought about how to get the most out of it so brilliant!

I have to say i'm jealous! You don't hang around do you!!:rotfl:
    Second Purse Challenge
    1st purse £70 per week, 2nd purse £0/£50, 3rd Purse £177/100 banked £37 (14) £206('13)
    :eek:Debt Total[STRIKE]£11779[/STRIKE] £3000 :o Plus [STRIKE]£3200[/STRIKE] £2400 to family
    :TGoal 2 years to pay off - June [STRIKE]2015[/STRIKE] 2016 :T
    Paid off so far - Sept 13 £1131 Nov 14 £2423 Sept15 paid myCC's!!
  • Tenyearstogo
    Options
    Oh my god! I never thought I'd say a freezer is beautiful, but it is.

I've used a few things from stockpile so I'm paying the purse back. I should have enough to pay my first £50 off the freezer this weekend.

My eldest son told his step mother about my stockpile. He sent her photos and everything. He has introduced her to the extreme Couponing tv show so I expect her to copy!
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,887 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Tenyearstogo - freezer sounds fab. Excellent use of deals to get it for the best price too. Well done :j

Paying 2nd purse back £30.60 this week for items used. I buckled and ordered some meat from DR despite saying the prices had gone up. They sent me an offer I couldn't refuse, plus I use Quidco for cashback. Order is coming next week for steak burgers and pork sausages. Have had them before and can highly recommend.

Totals are now:
    2nd purse - £37.65
    3rd purse - £45.93
    Stock total - £171.70

Haven't had a chance to mooch around the shops for any bargains this week. Work getting in the way :p I have a free day tomorrow so may go on the hunt.

Will use 3rd purse funds towards DDs new school uniform. She changes to senior school in September and needs everything so it will be blooming expensive :eek:

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,887 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Bought some bits for stock today from Ts.

4 x [EMAIL="S@nex"]S@nex[/EMAIL] bodywash HP at £1.49 each, buyback £2
    4 x mens [EMAIL="r@dox"]r@dox[/EMAIL] HP at 95p each, buyback £1.20
    6 packs of 4 dunker$ for packed lunches at £1 each, buyback 30p
    2 x 8 pack of Pep$i max cans for £5 total buyback 40p

Just did a stocktake of my main cupboard (shop) and I have had the shoplifters in!!! Several items have gone missing so I have totted it all up and will pay for these next Friday. Must improve security :rotfl:

Hope you're all going well.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • Tenyearstogo
    Options
    I bought a few things at Tesco, my totals are in my signature.

Lynx deodorants on B2g2f,
    Olive oil £1 off
    Amoy sauces half price.

Not included in my second purse but I also bought an El Paso fajita kit (on offer) which had lots of usable MOCs. I'm going to nip down again on Monday, buy the El Paso, take out and use the MOCs. I'll put all those things in my stock. It's things like rice, tinned sweet corn, cereal bars etc.

Best bit of the day...
    I got £50 in my buy back money so bought a Next giftcrd and paid it off the balance of my freezer.:j
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    I don't seem to be finding any bargains for things that I would like to buy. I haven't added anything to my stock this week. Esther. X
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Tenyearstogo
    Options
    EstherH wrote: »
    I don't seem to be finding any bargains for things that I would like to buy. I haven't added anything to my stock this week. Esther. X

I have a basket on mysupermarket full with my regular long life products. It's easy to check regularly and see what's on offer. I've got our favourite deodorants, toothpaste, frozen foods etc.
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Tenyearstogo, I'll have a look at that. I need to organise myself.
    Esther x
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    Now all I have to do is tell my OH :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    He knows I've bought something, it gets delivered tomorrow lol.

I'm glad I decided to wait till I saw the freezers before I bought one , the one I was thinking of was quite big. The one I bought was a £100 cheaper, and half the size.

I'm planning on keeping this one for bread and deserts. I've got some money off coupons for farm foods. I got some of their spring rolls and chinese ribs last week and was really surprised with the quality. Can anyone recommend anything else ?
    My daughter loves their french fries, might get some of those too.

Sorry I've still not had time to update my signature, I'm up to my eyes in it at the moment , trying to get my planting finished, still got loads to do. I sent 30 sheets to a company that just irons them, it was only £24.98 . They did a good job so I just packet all the remaining ones and all the duvet covers off to them. I ironed all the wee stuff myself. Thats my pile cleared :j:j:j
    Well worth £50 . I used to send all the big stuff to the laundry, and paid around £1,500 per year. I worked out the cost of using the ironing company and washing them myself. And the saving is over £1,000 per year.

A few years back I managed to cut my fuel bills in half, just by changing the way I do things.
    I hardly use the tumble dryer (only use it to fluff up towels, 10 min per load). I line dry when I can, and dry indoors when I cant. I bought a fold down drying rail from Ikea and a dehumidifier (total outlay £100). I put the rail over a radiator and a whole wash load dries overnight.

I've been 2nd pursing for so long now. For quite a number of years I frittered away the money I saved, mainly on convenience meals and things you can live without. I was spending around £6oo per month on food etc. My food budget is now £200 per month, at least £160 of that gets paid back to my 2nd purse for re-stocking. The remaining £40 gets spent on perishable items, like bread milk , fruit n veg etc.
    £200 of the money I saved had to go towards utilities because of the price increases. But the other £200 goes into an ISA every month, its now at £6,400. A few years back all that would have been in the SMK's pocket. Although I was 2nd Pursing I was never really a saver. So seeing my savings grow has really opened my eyes to what I was actually wasting.
    I meant to tell you that my utility bills were around £400 + per month, they are now £219, it was at £169 for 2 years. I changed every bulb in the house to low energy ones , and cut the tumble drying. That along with a few other minor changes.

I am thinking of saving the money I used to spend on laundry in a separate account.

My family used to laugh at my 2nd pursing, my OH the worst offender. I kept the wee ISA a secret for a while. His eyes popped of of his head when I eventually told him. After 35 years of me doing it he finally gets what I m about :T:T:T
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business