Natwest Debit card doesn't work at Tesco pay @ pump

Options
Hi. My Natwest Debit card doesn't work at Tescos pay@ pump. So I have to use my credit card. Any ideas why. I rung them and they said everythings ok and it should be working fine???

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2012 at 1:46PM
    Options
    15.3.4 If you have a card that displays the Visa Debit logo and starts with the numbers 4751 27 or 4751 28, you will only be able to use your card at a retailer or supplier of services where they can authorise the transaction with us at the time of the
    transaction being made. If this is not possible the transaction will be declined. A retailer or supplier of services may also ask us for authorisation in line with
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Mr_LoL
    Mr_LoL Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    If the cards blue it can't be used in pay pumps.

Thanks. Take it Natwest do another type of card then? How do you get it
  • MoneySaverLog
    Options
    You need a purple card. Ask for one, they may give it you they may not.
  • daffodil
    Options
    Hi
    I used my Tesco debit card today at about same time, used pay at pump and it was fine although i got no receipt
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    Its the difference between online and offline debit cards. One will allow you to go into overdraft, whilst the other can prevent it.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    ALL pay at the pumps authorise the card BEFORE petrol can be taken. What they do is authorise for usually £2.00 and not the amount of petrol you take.
    Petrol has a ZERO floor limit.
    Prepay debit cards will be the same.
    Your card will work for petrol, but only if you pay instore.

Now if you use a card at a pay at the pump in Europe they authorise for the full amount you can get and then debit for the correct amount.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • MoneySaverLog
    Options
    Usually they authorise a pound, they do at ASDA. This comes off your bank account / credit card from the available balance.

The pump then says Maximum Spend £99

A few days later the £1 hold disappears and the full amount is debited to the account.

Guess if you did not have the full £99 available in your account you could have bought £99 worth of petrol on the card and gone into a unauthorised overdraft.
  • Mr_LoL
    Options
    I did have the money. I also have an overdraft. The account is an advantage gold if that helps. They man said he will send me out a new card but can't guarantee what type of Debit card it will be.
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone use a Maestro card in a pay at pump, not looked to see if the decal is on the pump.

It is supposed to be very clever and authorise a good bit, then afterwards it adjusts it to the amount you actually spent (according to the rules it has 20 minutes, changing the hold to the actual amount) and then debits your account the following day.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    The pumps I use seem to alter the "Maximum spend" on a daily basis. I've seen £99 a few times, once it said £59, but mostly it seems to say £69.

I've no idea why the changing amount, even if I use the same pump!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure