What to buy a lady for her 90th birthday

Options
Especially when she says "Oh nothing thanks" when asked!

This is for my mum. I'm organising a family gathering at a local restaurant which - at her request - will be fairly low key, though that still comprises several dozen children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren! She lives in her own home, is a widow, is fiercely independent, quite frail physically but still in possession of whatever marbles she ever had ;). So what do I get her to celebrate this milestone? (a question that everyone else will also be asking). Birthdays and Christmas presents usually involve books, smellies, framed photos, porcelain nick-knacks, DVDs, smart clothes, throws, etc. So now I'd like something an extra bit special that needn't cost the earth (she wouldn't appreciate anything overly extravagant anyway). And I'm stumped.

Any ideas????
£2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
£2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain

Comments

• go_cat
    go_cat Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why not stick to a luxury hamper you make up yourself, ok she can't keep it but I am sure she would enjoy eating it :)
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would she use a Kindle?
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would she like one of these

http://www.pricelesstreasuresonline.com/mothers.html

A lovely way for her to share her memories with you all and something for her to do to while away the winter nights
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sky diving.

Could you have a photographer come and do a group photo, i suspect there arent many times when the whole family are together?
  • Hezzawithkids
    Hezzawithkids Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2012 at 6:21PM
    Options
    cte1111 wrote: »
    Would she use a Kindle?

Nice idea but she doesn't own a PC, plus she's quite arthritic so it might be a bit fiddly for her
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • Padstow
    Padstow Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Options
    I would love a regular delivery of flowers. I understand why Elton John spends so much on them.

Luxury bedding. The best treat ever for myself was a huge feather mattress topper. Together with a feather duvet and bedtime is bliss. The topper is heavy when changing the linen though, so help will be needed, but with so many family members, I'm sure she'll get the help needed.

A gardener.

A promise note to meet for lunch once a month.

Suggestions, as only you know her.

She's approaching ninety, partly because she is "fiercely independent."

I remember my late father in his nineties, almost begging me to stop my brother from buying him more books. Books on the boxing greats, books on WW2, books of old photographs of the town he was born in. He felt worn down by it all. Not everyone of advanced years wants to live in the past.

You say your mum has a young mind, so that's the clue. She doesn't want talcum powder and stuff, so maybe a little luxury or purchase thinking 60 rather than 90.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Old ladies have always liked a good brooch, just make sure it's a clasp she can manage.
  • heretolearn_2
    Options
    More possessions/knick-knacks etc are often more of a nuisance at that age - she's got a lifetime's worth already.

I prefer to try and get my parents nice 'experiences' now they are older.

would she enjoy a trip to see a musical with you? My mum also loves a good pamper on a spa day, something like a facial and lunch then just sitting around feeling decadent! I also think the flower deliveries sound lovely. Or how about an organic box delivery?
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2012 at 7:01PM
    Options
    http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/18th-birthday-gifts/18th-birthday-chocoholics-pizza.htm

but with a different number on, all oldies love a bit of chocolate.

A lady at work, for her 100th birthday, asked for donations, she got over £600, and she gave it to our local cancer hospice, she did this, because she really didn't want anything.

btw she's 105 this year.

Book a ride on a steam train, they do them up here in the north west, my dad loved it for his 75th
  • Padstow
    Padstow Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Options
    Amanda65 wrote: »
    Would she like one of these

http://www.pricelesstreasuresonline.com/mothers.html

A lovely way for her to share her memories with you all and something for her to do to while away the winter nights
    This is what I meant about living in the past, treating an older person as living in the past as the best place to be is wrong, but I know it's so well intentioned.

We do not want to "while away the Winter nights." Would you want to while away the winter nights Amanda? No we don't either.

When buying gifts for the elderly, please think at least 20 years younger.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure