Virgin Media. Blocking 0844/0845/0870/0871 and other Gateway Numbers.

Options
I have had a E-Mail from a contact that says VM are going to start blocking numbers used as gateways to cheaper suppliers, that lots of call traffic go through, in an attempt to claw back some revenue.

I am not aware if this affects both Cable and Non Cable Customers,or only the former.

Let the game of cat and mouse begin.;)

Comments

• utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    I just noticed this post: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=420079

So it looks like they have started.
  • alan99_2
    alan99_2 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know.
    Will they distinguish between 0844/0871 gateway numbers and other direct 0844/0871 numbers.

If they are going to ban all then people cant contact their doctors surgery or any businesses using 0844/0871 numbers.
    If so that will teach the 0844/71 businesses a lesson.(use a 01/02 number)

Alan
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does this mean they will eventually prevent indirect access companies like First Telecom and The Phone Co-Op who use 0800/0808 access?
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    As mentioned in the other thread on this by Heinz, only BT are forced to allow access to all possible number ranges.

VM can, and appear to have started, to block access to numbers that are used to make calls at cheaper rates than what VM charge.

This can mean, if VM decided to, block access to freephone numbers and 01/02 used by the likes of Call18185, Phone Co-op, First Telecom, etc...

Remember that VM are THE most expensive landline provider for calls so anyone unfortunate enough to still be with them then it's recommended to migrate to BT.
  • utilitybroker
    Options
    VM have the ability to detect large amounts of traffic going to any number,so if they detect that the number is being used to bypass their tariffs whether it is geographical or non geographical they can block it,just like Orange use to block access to freephone numbers that gave access to cheap calls.One way round it would be for cheap call suppliers to issue different access numbers,hence my suggestion that a game of cat and mouse might begin.

It appears from the post in the other thread on this subject,Virgin Media CS staff have a list of numbers blocked. Perhaps a kind VM person might care to indicate how wide ranging this list is.:cool:
  • ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bbb_uk wrote: »
    As mentioned in the other thread on this by Heinz, only BT are forced to allow access to all possible number ranges.

VM can, and appear to have started, to block access to numbers that are used to make calls at cheaper rates than what VM charge.

This can mean, if VM decided to, block access to freephone numbers and 01/02 used by the likes of Call18185, Phone Co-op, First Telecom, etc...

Remember that VM are THE most expensive landline provider for calls so anyone unfortunate enough to still be with them then it's recommended to migrate to BT.

Can always use VOIP. I have a VM line which is only for incoming calls. VOIP is for outgoing. Only have the VM line because I got good retention deal.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bbb_uk wrote: »

I've been offered telephone with free calls to landlines for £11 per month which is the same as my BT landline with no free calls. The package also includes free digital TV. Am I missing something that makes them more expensive as they say landline calls are included in £11 per month.

Thanks
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    Am I missing something that makes them more expensive as they say landline calls are included in £11 per month.
    Even if it was* an 'at any time' package, it's landline calls to UK 01/02 numbers ONLY.

They make their money with high charges (6p connection before the call charges are added) for all other types of calls.

*Virgin's 'anytime' package is £25/month.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    I've been offered telephone with free calls to landlines for £11 per month which is the same as my BT landline with no free calls. The package also includes free digital TV. Am I missing something that makes them more expensive as they say landline calls are included in £11 per month.

Thanks

For £11 per month you are only getting free weekend calls. You will find your weekday call costs expensive, weekday evenings will be 200% more than BT excluding connection fee. 0845/0870 numbers are more than 300% more than BT at certain times.
  • utilitybroker
    Options
    For £11 a month from BT you can benefit from virtually free caller display (11p a month spend needed) , and get their free itemised paper billing.

Where as VM will charge you £1.75p a month extra for caller display,plus £1 a month for the itemised paper billing.

Then theirs VM more expensive then BT mobile tariffs,and BT only operate minute billing on some chargeable calls,where as from 1/5/2007 VM will operate it on all chargeable calls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure