nuaire drimaster

Options

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Terry98......
    If you are still having problems downstairs have you tried increasing the setting on the Drimaster ??
    HTH
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Terry98......
    If you are still having problems downstairs have you tried increasing the setting on the Drimaster ??
    HTH

Yes I have thought about that but setting 3 is the maximum they recommend for my size landing.

I am going to fit a good fan in the kitchen and hope that will sort it.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Terry98 wrote: »
    Yes I have thought about that but setting 3 is the maximum they recommend for my size landing.

I am going to fit a good fan in the kitchen and hope that will sort it.

Don't bother with another fan all that's gonna do is move more air through the house. Turn the speed of the drimaster up. We have ours on 6 and they reccomend 2 but that's not enough for us. I will turn it down to 4 when it gets really cold though.

Use the drimaster and turn its speed up its gonna do no harm to try it.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't bother with another fan all that's gonna do is move more air through the house. Turn the speed of the drimaster up. We have ours on 6 and they reccomend 2 but that's not enough for us. I will turn it down to 4 when it gets really cold though.

Use the drimaster and turn its speed up its gonna do no harm to try it.

Thanks for your help.

I must have misread section 2 of these instructions http://nuaire.info/IandM/671109.pdf because I thought I would have to close off three sides of the diffuser if I wanted to use a speed setting of more than 3.

Until mid October I thought the Drimaster had cured all condensation upstairs. We then started to get slight condensation on one of the bedroom windows but cured this by opening one of the small windows very slightly.That is why I thought ventilation is also needed.

We still cannot get the RH down to an acceptable level though......it seems to stay around 70%. Perhaps putting the fan up to 6 might help.

Your comment about the kitchen fan surprised me. Wouldn't an extractor fan in the kitchen help with ventilation?
  • richardc1983
    Options
    The foam strips are only to avoid draughts say outside bedroom doors if an issue or to divert air away from smoke alarms. I have only one foam strip in outside our bathroom door.

I have a decent extractor fan in our bathroom but the kitchen I don't I just ensure the kitchen window is opened when cooking as we find the drimaster on a higher speed helps to push fresh air through the house and an open window in the kitchen makes it the easiest place for air to exist the house.

I would try the fan on a higher speed and maybe open window when cooking etc before fitting a fan to save you money.
  • mavisangelica
    Options
    We are looking to get a PIV for our 2 bed bungalow so I have a couple of questions - Looking to get a Heat model:
    1. Is the Drimaster considered to be the best or are there other manufacturers that are equally as good.
    2. Are there different models for the size of your house or the fact that I want the Heat option means that there is just one?
    3. Position - obviously in the hall but does it matter where? Does it need to be closer to the rooms that are affected most by condensation? (Bungalow is a small double fronted with an L shaped hall.)
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge 100/100
    Ditch 100 in February Challenge 114/100
    Ditch 100 in March Challenge 100/100
    Ditch 100 in April Challenge 75/100
  • richardc1983
    Options
    We are looking to get a PIV for our 2 bed bungalow so I have a couple of questions - Looking to get a Heat model:
    1. Is the Drimaster considered to be the best or are there other manufacturers that are equally as good.
    2. Are there different models for the size of your house or the fact that I want the Heat option means that there is just one?
    3. Position - obviously in the hall but does it matter where? Does it need to be closer to the rooms that are affected most by condensation? (Bungalow is a small double fronted with an L shaped hall.)

I have the drimaster heat so here is my answers to your Q's:

1. It seems to be the most reasonable & energy efficient for the price, it is literally just a fan but this fan is very low energy and seems to have the most speeds. The heat model is good as it takes the chill off the air in winter.
    2. As per point one you set the speed based on the number of bedrooms in the house, its usually best to go a speed above what it says in the book. For the first few weeks run it on max speed to get the house aired out. I have a 2 bed small end terrace, the reccomended speed was 2/3 but we run it on the fourth speed. In the summer we bump it upto speed 6 and have noticed a reduction of dust in the house.
    3. YES imperative it goes in the central point of the house. The idea is that your hallway/landing is the central point so fresh air is pushed in the middle and through the house and then the stale/damp air is pushed out the house through gaps etc. IF just for example you fitted this in your kitchen. Fresh air would fill the kitchen but any cooking smells and humidity would then be pushed through the other rooms in the house defeating the purpose. Bedrooms are kept fresher. I also installed a decent extractor fan in the bathroom to keep on top of the smells/shower steam etc.
  • mavisangelica
    mavisangelica Posts: 457 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 November 2015 at 12:06PM
    Options
    I have the drimaster heat so here is my answers to your Q's:

1. It seems to be the most reasonable & energy efficient for the price, it is literally just a fan but this fan is very low energy and seems to have the most speeds. The heat model is good as it takes the chill off the air in winter.
    2. As per point one you set the speed based on the number of bedrooms in the house, its usually best to go a speed above what it says in the book. For the first few weeks run it on max speed to get the house aired out. I have a 2 bed small end terrace, the reccomended speed was 2/3 but we run it on the fourth speed. In the summer we bump it upto speed 6 and have noticed a reduction of dust in the house.
    3. YES imperative it goes in the central point of the house. The idea is that your hallway/landing is the central point so fresh air is pushed in the middle and through the house and then the stale/damp air is pushed out the house through gaps etc. IF just for example you fitted this in your kitchen. Fresh air would fill the kitchen but any cooking smells and humidity would then be pushed through the other rooms in the house defeating the purpose. Bedrooms are kept fresher. I also installed a decent extractor fan in the bathroom to keep on top of the smells/shower steam etc.

Thanks for this. My mind is now made up. Presumably it will need to be positioned fairly centrally in the hall, say equidistant to all the room doors (ceiling fixtures allowing) as opposed to being, say at the end of the hall by the front door.

We are going to get our electrician to fit it. would you recommend the wifi plug option for the heat? I already have a double socket in the loft and, being techy have some LightwaveRF plugin sockets anyway.

And lastly where is the best (cheapest) place to buy?
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Thanks for this. My mind is now made up. Presumably it will need to be positioned fairly centrally in the hall, say equidistant to all the room doors (ceiling fixtures allowing) as opposed to being, say at the end of the hall by the front door.

We are going to get our electrician to fit it. would you recommend the wifi plug option for the heat? I already have a double socket in the loft and, being techy have some LightwaveRF plugin sockets anyway.

And lastly where is the best (cheapest) place to buy?

Yes as central as you can but as long as its in the hall or landing it will be fine.

Wifi plug is what I use, its fantastic as can set schedules and if I am at home all day I can easily turn it on and off if need be. The heater is a small 500w pulse heater, it literally takes the edge of the cold air. It will not heat the landing. Mine is set at 16C so if the loft is below that it will heat the air upto 16/17C. If its really cold in the loft say 5C the maximum it is able to raise the temp by is about 10C. Some people expect it to be pushing heat out like a fan heater. It is purely for comfort and doesnt improve the performance of the system. If you have a radiator in the hall even better as you could block off 2 of the sides so the air flow is going towards the radiator so it mixes with the warm air from the radiator also.

I bought mine from http://platinumchemicals.co.uk/drimaster-heat?search=drimaster £326 inc delivery or its £338 on amazon from the same company http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuaire-Drimaster-Heat-Condensation-Ventilation/dp/B0074KMAM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447763155&sr=8-1&keywords=drimaster+heat
  • mavisangelica
    Options
    It's arrived and it is big! One last question, how did you wire the heater separately? (We have got an electrician coming to fit it and just want to sound as if I know what I am talking about.) presumably the wires come out of the white control box?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business